Carnival Cruise Bookings Almost Double After Protocols Simplified

My thoughts and I'm no expert... I understand that Carnival and others who have dropped all vaccine requirements have put it the onus on the passenger that they need to know what the ports require.  What is going to happen when people start showing up and are denied boarding because one of the ports doesn't allow unvaccinated passengers (and I'm not debating the need or not of the vaccine)?  When the press gets a hold of people being denied boarding and not getting a refund because Carnival has put the liability on the passenger they are going to have a field day. 

In this regard I totally get why Royal is doing what they are doing.  This way passengers ahead of time knows 100% if they can sail. No one is going to show up at the port and say they didn't  know.  They are stopping any bed press before it starts.  I'm sure the requirements for other ports will drop as soon as they are able.

Right or wrong I am only speculating on the business decision of Royal.  I understand that financially Carnival is in trouble.  Perhaps they did this to boost reservations in the short term and get some cash flow.  I guess we'll have to see if it pays off for them.  If ports quickly drop vaccine mandates it may pay off. 

7 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

My thoughts and I'm no expert... I understand that Carnival and others who have dropped all vaccine requirements have put it the onus on the passenger that they need to know what the ports require.  What is going to happen when people start showing up and are denied boarding because one of the ports doesn't allow unvaccinated passengers (and I'm not debating the need or not of the vaccine)?  When the press gets a hold of people being denied boarding and not getting a refund because Carnival has put the liability on the passenger they are going to have a field day. 

In this regard I totally get why Royal is doing what they are doing.  This way passengers ahead of time knows 100% if they can sail. No one is going to show up at the port and say they didn't  know.  They are stopping any bed press before it starts.  I'm sure the requirements for other ports will drop as soon as they are able.

Right or wrong I am only speculating on the business decision of Royal.  I understand that financially Carnival is in trouble.  Perhaps they did this to boost reservations in the short term and get some cash flow.  I guess we'll have to see if it pays off for them.  If ports quickly drop vaccine mandates it may pay off. 

You make an excellent point, but it could be that unvaccinated people will simply have to stay on board when the ship is in any port requiring the vaccine.   

All the cruise lines are starting to follow suit.  It seems we are starting to learn to live with Covid and return to a more normal life.

• Like 4

Just now, papaflamingo said:

You make an excellent point, but it could be that unvaccinated people will simply have to stay on board when the ship is in any port requiring the vaccine.   

All the cruise lines are starting to follow suit.  It seems we are starting to learn to live with Covid and return to a more normal life.

I agree.  It's time.  I'm vaccinated, boosted and wear my mask.  But I still believe it's time.

I think the biggest problem, based on my understanding, is some ports like Bahamas do not allow ships to come into port with unvaccinated passengers over the age of 12 (excluding approved exemptions).  So I think just having them stay on the ship at certain ports is not currently an option.  Maybe that is something that will change soon.

• Like 1

It is not the cruise line it is where you are going.  Don't know if Carnival does Alaska but to get on a ship for an Alaskan cruise you need to test 2 days before sailing.  Canada requires this, even if you are not getting off in Victoria, not to mention the cruises starting from Canada.  I am sure people will look at all the posts and not think they need the negative test before sailing but they might be sorry.  At least we have gotten 2 messages so far that we need to test and fill out the Arrive Can form before boarding.  I just wish people who posted would be a little more careful what they are saying.

1 minute ago, lovescats5 said:

It is not the cruise line it is where you are going.  Don't know if Carnival does Alaska but to get on a ship for an Alaskan cruise you need to test 2 days before sailing.  Canada requires this, even if you are not getting off in Victoria, not to mention the cruises starting from Canada.  I am sure people will look at all the posts and not think they need the negative test before sailing but they might be sorry.  At least we have gotten 2 messages so far that we need to test and fill out the Arrive Can form before boarding.  I just wish people who posted would be a little more careful what they are saying.

Carnival does Alaska.

12 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

I would think the Alaska cruises will soon be wrapping up this season soon so that shouldn’t be a problem….. I doubt we will still in this situation this time next year.

Carnival has this noted in their new policy:

• All policies are subject to local destination regulations.

What Carnival doesn't state is what occurs when a guest doesn't meet "local destination requirements".

I think Carnival is hedging, hoping that the remaining destinations that have significant requirements will drop those come September.

That's a bit of a gamble but maybe they are right.  The problem is... what if they aren't?  In that case what will happen to guests that are not compliant with local destination regulations.  

Time will tell.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, twangster said:

Carnival has this noted in their new policy:

• All policies are subject to local destination regulations.

What Carnival doesn't state is what occurs when a guest doesn't meet "local destination requirements".

I think Carnival is hedging, hoping that the remaining destinations that have significant requirements will drop those come September.

That's a bit of a gamble but maybe they are right.  The problem is... what if they aren't?  In that case what will happen to guests that are not compliant with local destination regulations.  

Time will tell.  

I sure hope so.  I know Carnival says that Bermuda and Canada you will still have to test.  Going to Canada end of Sept on Adventure and hope that they either stop testing or make it 3 days for our travel time.

4 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

I agree.  It's time.  I'm vaccinated, boosted and wear my mask.  But I still believe it's time.

I think the biggest problem, based on my understanding, is some ports like Bahamas do not allow ships to come into port with unvaccinated passengers over the age of 12 (excluding approved exemptions).  So I think just having them stay on the ship at certain ports is not currently an option.  Maybe that is something that will change soon.

Well we have a cruise in January that stops in The Bahamas on Norwegian, and nowhere in their new protocols does it say on their website we can't get off the ship. This is what it says for the Bahamas, 

Provide proof of one of the following:

Age Vaccinated Unvaccinated
< 2 years Nothing Required. Nothing Required.
≥ 2 years Proof of completed series of one-dose or two-dose vaccination regimen at embarkation.

Provide proof of one of the following:
1. Negative COVID-19 antigen test within three days of the embarkation date
2. NAAT test (i.e., PCR) within three days of embarkation date
3. COVID-19 Recovery Certificate*

I could be wrong but this is what I saw under cruise passengers on Bahama's website.  I have zero interest in fighting with anyone.  I gave disclaimers on my posts that this is my understanding of current procedures based on what I have read online.  I could very well be wrong.  The key phase I was referring to is "enter a port".  I think there is a lot of miss information happening across the board as everyone changes their protocols.  Hopefully in the coming weeks things will get clearer.

bahamas.JPG

Edited by MaddyandMax
  • Like 1

• The thing that really bothers me is all the people stating that testing has been discontinued.  If you are stating that hopefully you will not feel bad if someone takes your post as policy and then gets denied boarding because they did not do the required testing.  Maybe everyone needs to stop saying what the testing requirements are and let people contact the cruise line to find out.  I know I have received two email from Royal concerning the testing requirement for Alaska.  Please people, be careful what you are posting.
  •