Travel Insurance

Keysdreamin01

9 minutes ago, Keysdreamin01 said:

Good morning all, 

I am sailing on the Vision in December for 11 nights and looking to get travel insurance before my final payment. 

Looking for suggestions on who to purchase it with. 

Thanks in advance, 

I always use insuremytrip.com.  They will give you a number of plans and costs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

I always use insuremytrip.com.  They will give you a number of plans and costs.

I also use insure my trip dot com. You'll put in information about your vacation (dates of the trip, date when you booked, where you'll be visiting, age of passengers etc).

Then they'll give you a bunch of different companies who offer an insurance policy for your specific vacation requirements, and you can read through all the policies and pick one. 

It can be tedious to read through all the fine print, but I highly suggest you do so. There are a lot of nuances between polices as far as how much coverage you have, and what the requirements are to make a claim (some require you notify them within a certain number of hours or days that you had a loss, some require that you purchase the insurance within a certain number of days of making your first payment on the vacation, some have stipulations about how many hours a plane has to be delayed before you can make a claim etc).

I always ask for comprehensive insurance and then select the option for "cancel for any reason" insurance. It's more restrictive for when you have to purchase it (usually within a week or 2 of booking the trip) and it's more expensive (but not always that much more, depending on the age of passengers). But it gives you the most flexibility and protection for getting your money back if all-else-fails. 

To make this Royal Caribbean specific (otherwise your post will get moved off the RC board), the difference between buying a private insurance plan vs buying a plan through Royal is that Royal offers better prices for older people, and people with pre-existing medical conditions that may be excluded from private policies. 

The other difference is that Royal doesn't actually give your money back if you make a claim, they give you future cruise credits. For example, if you cancel just because you change your mind and don't want to go anymore, which wouldn't be a covered reason to cancel and get 100% of your money back with any insurance policy, Royal will give you a 90% future cruise credit, while private insurance will only give you 75% of your money, but it will be in cash. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Keysdreamin01 said:

Good morning all, 

I am sailing on the Vision in December for 11 nights and looking to get travel insurance before my final payment. 

Thanks in advance, 

I checked with my employer's health insurance and it includes GeoBlue coverage ($250k limit) so I don't bother overinsuring.  You need to know what your current coverage is before you buy anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keysdreamin01 said:

Good morning all, 

Thanks in advance, 

I use Square Mouth dot com for travel insurance.  You put your info and the come up with a choice of companies and cost.  Also, at time I use the cruise line for trip insurrance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ORD1166 said:

I use Square Mouth dot com for travel insurance.  You put your info and the come up with a choice of companies and cost.  Also, at time I use the cruise line for trip insurrance.

I just checked Square Mouth for my upcoming cruise and their price was double that of insuremytrip. 

• Like 2

Call Steve (CC contributor often here) or one of his associates at

The TripInsuranceStore...888 407-3854...amazing personal service based on what you need. Have been using him for years and so have many others here on CC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

I checked with my employer's health insurance and it includes GeoBlue coverage ($250k limit) so I don't bother overinsuring.  You need to know what your current coverage is before you buy anything.

As long as you only are looking for medical coverage GeoBlue is a good option. We have an annual plan for International travel. Trip delay etc etc we purchase an additional policy with the TripInsuranceStore.

I second the TripInsuranceStore. I've chatted online with them before trips and they are extremely helpful in making sure the insurance fits you and you're not buying more than you need (and they steered me to GeoBlue since medical is what I want!)

Edited by cooncat_mom
Added a thought
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

As long as you only are looking for medical coverage GeoBlue is a good option. We have an annual plan for International travel. Trip delay etc etc we purchase an additional policy with the TripInsuranceStore.

It's good to hear from someone who knows what my coverage is.  I guess that information on page 14 of my certificate of coverage about Medical Evacuation is just some sort of prank.  Or the earlier pages with information on trip interruption.

Thanks for letting us know that you have knowledge of what other people's coverage is.

1 minute ago, billslowsky said:

It's good to hear from someone who knows what my coverage is.  I guess that information on page 14 of my certificate of coverage about Medical Evacuation is just some sort of prank.  Or the earlier pages with information on trip interruption.

Thanks for letting us know that you have knowledge of what other people's coverage is.

Yikes....Sorry I offended you !!!!!

19 minutes ago, Ashland said:

No...I didn't. I posted what MY experience was.

Yeah, you did.  You said "As long as you only are looking for medical coverage GeoBlue is a good option. We have an annual plan for International travel. Trip delay etc etc we purchase an additional policy with the TripInsuranceStore."

How is saying that Geo Blue is only a good option only if you are looking for medical coverage not misinformation?  I can go directly to the Geo Blue website and see that their coverage extends well beyond medical coverage.  I can go directly to my certificate of insurance and read the specifics of my coverage which is much more extensive than "As long as you are only looking for medical coverage".

Older cruiser, so policies are more expensive unless you buy through cruise line.  Have 10 cruises booked in next year and Geoblue was less than cost of one single cruise insurance.  AIG annual was similar, although had a few extras in it (Some Geoblue have more extras as well but also cost more).  Medical through a Medicare Advantage plan doesn't cover anything except emergency overseas.  Tricare covers some but from experience reimburses around 20% of costs at best.  We wanted more coverage for medical and transport but didn't need cancellation for any reason, luggage, delays or other stuff that single policies have in them.

Credit card we use has some trip delay/baggage built in, enough for us.  Other folks are suggesting you call Steve so you can decide what level of coverage you need.  And you need to look at all the insurance you have already before deciding what you want to buy.  

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Yeah, you did.  You said "As long as you only are looking for medical coverage GeoBlue is a good option. We have an annual plan for International travel. Trip delay etc etc we purchase an additional policy with the TripInsuranceStore."

How is saying that Geo Blue is only a good option only if you are looking for medical coverage not misinformation?  I can go directly to the Geo Blue website and see that their coverage extends well beyond medical coverage.  I can go directly to my certificate of insurance and read the specifics of my coverage which is much more extensive than "As long as you are only looking for medical coverage".

Thanks for your feedback. Peace Out !!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eaflorida said:

I just checked Square Mouth for my upcoming cruise and their price was double that of insuremytrip. 

Both Squaremouth and Insuremyteip are just online brokers similar to Priceline and Expedia 

Underlying insurance policy will be almost exactly same price.

United ticket from Chicago to Dallas for exactly same flight cannot be twice the price on Priceline compared to Expedia.

There are two main reasons to buy insurance:. 

1. Cancellation

2. Everything else (interruption, missed connection, delays, evacuation and of course medical)

Filters on each of these two portals, help you shorten the list and then you have to read the fine prints which they halp zoom in 

It does take couple of hours to select the most appropriate policy for your specific needs for the specific itinerary.

Its worth time as you save a bundle compared to going to an agent who will never have time or inclination to understand your specific needs 

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

Reach out to Steve @iamtrustworthy. He owns tripinsurancestore and a huge contributor here on CC. I use him for all our trip insurance. It's the least I can do for all the questions he answers.

Does Steve have a yearly ins plan?   Thanks

On 8/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, Ashland said:

Call Steve (CC contributor often here) or one of his associates at

The TripInsuranceStore...888 407-3854...amazing personal service based on what you need. Have been using him for years and so have many others here on CC.

We called Steve.  He is great.  A wealth of information and makes sure you are not over insuring.  His teammates are great if he is not available.  They insured our 23 days trip.  Well worth the phone call. k

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Does Steve have a yearly ins plan?   Thanks

Don't think they actually sell insurance.  They help you decide what you need.  I found it a bit hard to look for annual plans on the site but it let me look at options eventually.  Probably easier just to call.

• Like 1