Kitchen Table

OKCowboy

Yes a number of activities were missing from our recent cruises - the Kitchen Table, yoga, stretch and meditation classes, the Nordic Spa how to class, Meet & Mingle, bridge and galley tours.  But I was surprised they did the different wine and spirits tastings on our last cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've been on Viking River cruises, but I'm new to Viking Ocean.  We are booked on the Northern Lights cruise this January.  I'm confused about Kitchen Table.  I'm not able to book dining yet, but when I look at the dining options on My Viking Journey, there are going to be options to book the Chef's Table and Manfredi's, but Kitchen Table is only listed under the casual dining along with Aquavit Terrace, Pool Grill, Wintergarden, etc.  Since I see it listed there but no future booking options, does that mean it isn't available at all or available without advanced reservations?  I would love to do it, but I don't understand how it works.

1 hour ago, VaTraveler46 said:

I've been on Viking River cruises, but I'm new to Viking Ocean.  We are booked on the Northern Lights cruise this January.  I'm confused about Kitchen Table.  I'm not able to book dining yet, but when I look at the dining options on My Viking Journey, there are going to be options to book the Chef's Table and Manfredi's, but Kitchen Table is only listed under the casual dining along with Aquavit Terrace, Pool Grill, Wintergarden, etc.  Since I see it listed there but no future booking options, does that mean it isn't available at all or available without advanced reservations?  I would love to do it, but I don't understand how it works.

Think of Kitchen Table like an optional excursion. Local cuisine is prepared with ingredients bought by the chef that day while in port.  It's only offered on certain itineraries at certain ports.

The Viking web site has a video and a list of some of the itineraries where it is offered. If you look at the day by day of the cruise, you will see at what port it is offered.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/video/all/the-kitchen-table/play.html

7 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Think of Kitchen Table like an optional excursion. Local cuisine is prepared with ingredients bought by the chef that day while in port.  It's only offered on certain itineraries at certain ports.

The Viking web site has a video and a list of some of the itineraries where it is offered. If you look at the day by day of the cruise, you will see at what port it is offered.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/video/all/the-kitchen-table/play.html

Thank you.  Looks like it isn't available to us this trip, but it's offered three times on the one we will be taking in September, 2023.

Edited by VaTraveler46

I’ve never done a Kitchen Table excursion myself, but I think it’s going to be offered on itineraries where there are farmer’s markets or local markets with food in season. Not much in Norway, if any, in January. 🥶🌴

On 10/20/2022 at 7:31 AM, Mimiya11 said:

Bumping this thread to see if The Kitchen Table is still not being offered?   

We did it on our Alaska and the Inside Passage cruise on Viking Orion in early September.  It was less interactive than our pre-COVID experiences, but still fun.  I almost like the format we had this time better, where the chef did most of the cooking and we were able to help a little.

Tim

16 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I’ve never done a Kitchen Table excursion myself, but I think it’s going to be offered on itineraries where there are farmer’s markets or local markets with food in season. Not much in Norway, if any, in January. 🥶🌴

And that makes perfect sense.  However, where it is listed on our cruise, (under casual dining options) it says that on port days it would include shopping and on sea days it would be a cooking class without the shopping experience.  Also, I guess Norwegians have to shop for food somewhere, even in the winter.  At any rate, I won't count on it happening.  If it does, that will be a pleasant surprise.

• Like 1

What are they showing as charges for the KT?  We enjoyed KT three times on the Inaugural WC at $99 per person.  Included a stop for coffee and pastries, then a  trip with the Chef to a local market or two to find treasures then a stop for a snack and wine.  At 6pm we all met in the KT area and had Champagne.  The cooking was all hands on or off as you chose and each creation was paired with wine by the Sommelier.  A bargain at $99 each.  Last I heard it had gone to $249.00 per person.  Quite the increase.   

6 hours ago, formernuke said:

Shows as $249 per person in Cozumel for my Feb Classic Panama Canal cruise. Pricey (and prevents other shore excursions). 

Yep - same as our cruise.  Very pricey.   But then again, maybe Viking is trying to gauge what the market will bear.  It was indeed $99 before COVID.   Perhaps it they are unsold, they will do it differently.

15 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Yep - same as our cruise.  Very pricey.   But then again, maybe Viking is trying to gauge what the market will bear.  It was indeed $99 before COVID.   Perhaps it they are unsold, they will do it differently.

Even with our OBC, $500 per couple is indeed very pricey when there are also a few excursions we want to purchase.   Sounded like a fun way to spend a day.    

Think we will wait until we are on board to see if there is a change in price or a change in our opinions 🙂 

23 hours ago, VaTraveler46 said:

And that makes perfect sense.  However, where it is listed on our cruise, (under casual dining options) it says that on port days it would include shopping and on sea days it would be a cooking class without the shopping experience.  Also, I guess Norwegians have to shop for food somewhere, even in the winter.  At any rate, I won't count on it happening.  If it does, that will be a pleasant surprise.

The sea days Kitchen Table is indeed a cooking class and the price was more on the $50 range as I recall.  If you’re interested, you might want to visit Guest Services shortly after boarding and ask about it.  The group size is pretty small and seems like they sold out pretty quickly when offered on cruises we were on pre-COVID. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

The sea days Kitchen Table is indeed a cooking class and the price was more on the $50 range as I recall.  If you’re interested, you might want to visit Guest Services shortly after boarding and ask about it.  The group size is pretty small and seems like they sold out pretty quickly when offered on cruises we were on pre-COVID. 

That is definitely my plan.  My Viking Journey really doesn't tell me anything about it, just lists it as a casual dining option.  I love cooking classes, and that would be a great way to pass the time on a sea day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Clay - I only remember learning about it on our cruise earlier this year (from another passenger).  Seems they had about 4 or 5 of them.  However, they had all sold out within hours of boarding.  I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the price at $99.   So yes they sell out quickly amongst those in the know. 🙂

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Clay - I only remember learning about it on our cruise earlier this year (from another passenger).  Seems they had about 4 or 5 of them.  However, they had all sold out within hours of boarding.  I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the price at $99.   So yes they sell out quickly amongst those in the know. 🙂

I could definitely be wrong about the price!