Casual dress

aburnett

Also depends where you expect to eat in the evening. If you plan on using Kings Court then there will not be a problem but there will be areas of the ship you will not be able to frequent on Gala (formal) nights including MDR.

There aren't really many gala nights on any trip, so it might not make any odds to you, but if you're thinking of compromising your on-board experience by not going with the dress code, why not travel with a different line?  Unless there's a reason for the Cunard trip, of course, itinerary, destination, whatever.

10 minutes ago, Yorkshire Mike said:

There aren't really many gala nights on any trip, so it might not make any odds to you, but if you're thinking of compromising your on-board experience by not going with the dress code, why not travel with a different line?  Unless there's a reason for the Cunard trip, of course, itinerary, destination, whatever.

Though I always do the dressing up, I don't much enjoy it and there are lots of other reasons to travel with Cunard:  beautiful, serene, spacious ships, good food, lovely staff, (usually) delightful fellow passengers, quality lectures, and Atlantic crossings that nobody else really does. As you suggest, why forgo these pleasures because of clothes?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Though I always do the dressing up, I don't much enjoy it and there are lots of other reasons to travel with Cunard:  beautiful, serene, spacious ships, good food, lovely staff, (usually) delightful fellow passengers, quality lectures, and Atlantic crossings that nobody else really does. As you suggest, why forgo these pleasures because of clothes?

I couldn't have put it better. That is us also.

Been cruising since 1979 on most every cruise line serving the US,

and reluctantly going with the dress codes for Formal nights .

Edited by MCC retired

Even on smart attire nights the vast majority of passengers I saw made an effort into clothing more appropriate to an evening out. I only saw a couple of couples who did not and they looked distinctly uncomfortable, whether this was because they hadn't done any research or it was their option I don't know. Both gala nites people stepped up a gear. 

Only terrible attire I saw was on the last night some horribly crumpled tee shirts and gardening shirts. I know it was last night but really it wasn't too much to keep back a collared shirt back from your luggage and next day roll it up into your carry on!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Even on smart attire nights the vast majority of passengers I saw made an effort into clothing more appropriate to an evening out. I only saw a couple of couples who did not and they looked distinctly uncomfortable, whether this was because they hadn't done any research or it was their option I don't know. Both gala nites people stepped up a gear. 

Only terrible attire I saw was on the last night some horribly crumpled tee shirts and gardening shirts. I know it was last night but really it wasn't too much to keep back a collared shirt back from your luggage and next day roll it up into your carry on!!

$5 per head gets an apology accepted from luggage attendants, for putting out one’s suitcase/s after 00.30 - What goes around….

40 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

I couldn't have put it better. That is us also.

Been cruising since 1979 on most every cruise line serving the US,

and reluctantly going with the dress codes for Formal nights .

I may not much enjoy dressing up personally, but I do enjoy the rather festive atmosphere about the ship on formal nights, and admiring some of the more glamorous dresses. I wouldn't want to miss that by confining myself to the Lido/KC, especially as the formal night menus are often rather good.

18 hours ago, aburnett said:

Is it possible to travel Cunard with slacks and sports coat, no suit?

It's certainly possible and some people do travel that way, particularly on Queen Mary 2 if they want to cross the Atlantic without flying.

You will be restricted to the casual areas of the ship on formal nights so you won't be able to eat in your main dining room or go to the theatre or the more formal bars.

To get the best out of a Cunard cruise without any evening restrictions you would need at least a dark suit.

• Like 2

We came Off QM2 yesterday after 9 nights .Extremely disappointed with dress code .Men were allowed in Britannia dining room in shorts .Gentleman sat next to me with a polo shirt .We had a lovely cruise but I would say anything goes .

1 hour ago, BandBlady said:

We came Off QM2 yesterday after 9 nights .Extremely disappointed with dress code .Men were allowed in Britannia dining room in shorts .Gentleman sat next to me with a polo shirt .We had a lovely cruise but I would say anything goes .

That is the result of the new "dress code", which some read as everything goes; and which is heavily advocated by the down dressing gang on this forum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

It doesn't take much effort to dress appropriately for meals.

My DH is a rough toughy builder who lives the majority of his life in cement encrusted jeans, heavy boots and hoodie, suits are for family events and the races and he really was not looking forward to having to 'dress up' on his holiday  however once we were on board he (watch for the word) 'chose' to wear a jacket on smart attire nights as he said the elegance of the ship warranted it and he felt as I was dressing up I deserved to have an appropriately dressed gentleman to accompany me. ♥️

Even on the last night he kept back his navy blazer, chinos and collared shirt so I  definitely think the ambience of the ship made him thoughtful about how he dressed, not something I thought I would ever see. He even said ge thought those who blatantly flouted the dress code were IHO rude and ignorant to their fellow passengers. 

So @LittleFish1976 I have to agree with your comment. 🙂👏

Edited by 2BACRUISER
Predictive text lol 😆
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I thought shorts in the Grills' lounge for afternoon tea was bad enough.

It doesn't take much effort to dress appropriately for meals.

Shorts at tea is understandable if you have just come in from doing something in a warm Mediterranean port, depending somewhat on the shortness of the shorts.

11 hours ago, carlmm said:

That is the result of the new "dress code", which some read as everything goes; and which is heavily advocated by the down dressing gang on this forum.

The dress code does not allow shorts or  polo shirts at night , that is very clear. The dress code is clear in everything that it allows and does not allow.  No one can read it as everything goes,  they can only deliberately break the rules .

So it's the responsibility of the  maitre  D'  to explain politely that they are not allowed in the restaurant.  The problem  does not lie with the rules but the lack of any enforcement.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Agreed , but what's the use of rules without enforcement

True….

However, one is a little confused as to what is happening, because all the known, old school, MDs would not tolerate a breech at the entrance.  Therefore, one can only deduce there must be a new set in place.

Will check this out in September on the Canada QM.

It could be time for the (dormant for years) excuse me MD - follow me MD - stop adjacent - point - walk off - protocol 

With a Dear…. @ Executive Offices pre-prepared, awaiting the press of send if nothing happens.

Let the Guano hit the air oscillating device.

Sorry but this might upset a few or even many but if Cunard allow the dumbing down of the dress code especially in the evenings not just in the MDR but around the ship Cunard will stop being special and just be another cruise line.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but this might upset a few or even many but if Cunard allow the dumbing down of the dress code especially in the evenings not just in the MDR but around the ship Cunard will stop being special and just be another cruise line.

I should have thought most posters, and, more importantly, most passengers would agree with you. On QM2 last month, almost all passengers observed the dress code, and a surprisingly high number followed the themes.

• Like 1

I always think the only 'trick' to cruising is to find a cruise line that offers the things you like.  If wearing black tie or not affects your enjoyment pick your line accordingly.  Dress code isn't kept secret.  It's like complaining that the drinks are too expensive or the daily gratuity should be included in the fare.  Right or wrong, it is what it is.

• Like 4

Just off Elizabeth yesterday. Did not see anyone at all in shorts in the Britannia restaurant in the evening. Dress code definitely relaxed though as short sleeve shirts, even polo shirts, were in evidence at dinner. Not on Gala nights though when almost everyone dressed to the dress code. Accompanied by masks of course which somewhat takes the shine off those lovely outfits.