HAL offering longer cruises from US

BermudaBound2014

They have been promoting that on the website for a few weeks now.  It seems that close to home cruising is where the market is now.  I don’t even think it is pandemic fears, it has more to do with the airlines, IMHO

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

I agree with all the points above.  I was a little stressed flying in a day early to Barcelona last month because we went through Newark and a website I looked at said that the flight from there had a better on time/cancellation record than 0% of other flights they track.

Now if HAL can just sail out of Galveston that would make my life much easier!

• Like 5

I was looking at the Volendam Amazon sailing that's RT from FLL this fall (which I can't take because I'm on a B2B2B on Carnival Med/Med/TA that's been postponed twice).

Unfortunately, I don't see anything comparable for fall 2023.  I would almost certainly book that.  Think I'm just missing something or that they haven't posted an itinerary for that yet?

13 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I was looking at the Volendam Amazon sailing that's RT from FLL this fall (which I can't take because I'm on a B2B2B on Carnival Med/Med/TA that's been postponed twice).

Unfortunately, I don't see anything comparable for fall 2023.  I would almost certainly book that.  Think I'm just missing something or that they haven't posted an itinerary for that yet?

Assuming you're talking about the Grand Africa voyage, it's being offered in 2023 but will be on Zuiderdam (embarks FLL 10-10-23).

31 minutes ago, zelker said:

Assuming you're talking about the Grand Africa voyage, it's being offered in 2023 but will be on Zuiderdam (embarks FLL 10-10-23).

I think she means in South America. There is a Grand South America/Antarctica voyage in the fall of 2023. I've booked it!

5 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

I think she means in South America. There is a Grand South America/Antarctica voyage in the fall of 2023. I've booked it!

My bad.  I missed that she mentioned the Amazon.  Oops!   Then no, there isn't a true Amazon Explorer being offered after the one towards the end of this year, at least so far.  Looks like it's only being offered as part of the World Cruise (in January 2024) and also the Grand SoAm cruise you're booked on in 2023.

16 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don't think hal has everything on their website.  I see no Mexico cruises as of today for fall of 2023.  I hope that isn't the case.

I don't think Holiday 2023 cruises have been released yet either.

HAL was founded in 1873 as a shipping company. Running longer voyages (like Cunard 1879) to far places. As I recall, HAL has always offered several long voyages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_America_Line

Today, the longer voyages make sense because they offer the elderly (a growing market) an opportunity for 'adventure'. Aloha!

They make economic sense because these itineraries are often heavily booked, and pricey. Profits, profits, profits!

IMHO, HAL should continue to sharpen their focused strategy. Rather than compete on a me-too basis against the big ships.

• Like 4

I am not sure why this is such news.  HAL has been sailing long cruises out of various U.S. ports for a long time. I think that all of the Grand Voyages (WC's, Grand Africa, Grand Asia, Grand South America, etc.) have been going out of U.S. ports.   The Asian non-Grands have been sailing from the U.S. West coast on cruises of more than 15 days for years.  And they have been sailing out of San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, FLL, Tampa, etc.  HAL always been known for its long voyages and out-of-the-way ports.  It surely beats flying across one of the "ponds" to board a ship. 

Love the long cruises!  We are currently booked on the '24 WC, and I will be curious to see how close the 2023 WC and the other forthcoming Grands will be to the pre-Covid days.  Predictions?

• Like 3

I, too, was trying to figure out why this was “new” news since they’ve always done longer North America/return voyages…. until I realized it’s a marketing campaign.  Seems to be working since there’s now a thread on it.  👍

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

I am not sure why this is such news.  HAL has been sailing long cruises out of various U.S. ports for a long time.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I, too, was trying to figure out why this was “new” news since they’ve always done longer North America/return voyages

Sorry, but I couldn't remember Transatlantic round trip voyages, other than the World Cruises, being offered.  Going round trip from the US east coast to Europe is of interest to me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TwoBadKnees said:

Sorry, but I couldn't remember Transatlantic round trip voyages, other than the World Cruises, being offered.  Going round trip from the US east coast to Europe is of interest to me.

The Voyage of the Vikings goes every July.  It gets rave reviews and is on my bucket list.  Hopefully, one day.  After retirement.  🫠

414334C0-4CBC-4A03-96D5-2FB8BBBFCFAD.thumb.jpeg.b9b97843d67cc2b7b7119307796b4e11.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I, too, was trying to figure out why this was “new” news since they’ve always done longer North America/return voyages…. until I realized it’s a marketing campaign.  Seems to be working since there’s now a thread on it.  👍

Of course it's a marketing campaign. It even has a catchy slogan "See the world from your doorstep". 

This non-news hit the financial circuit this morning and Travel pulse this evening. If history repeats itself; this will be headline 'news' (or non-news for the HAL die hard fans lol) among the industry players this weekend. 

The “See the World from Your Doorstep” campaign highlights the cruise line’s roundtrip voyages from Boston, Fort Lauderdale, San Diego and Seattle. Holland America Line offers more roundtrip cruises from the U.S. over fifteen nights long than any other cruise line, with 225 ports in 91 countries.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/holland-america-reports-significant-interest-in-longer-roundtrip-cruises-from-us-ports.html

• Like 2