New to Oceania: Take OBC or Excursions

pokyjones

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I don't know why I do this, but I'll try, If you're referring to me, you couldn't be making more incorrect assumptions. I

Step away from the keyboard 😁

It is an exercise in futility  😉

• Like 5

Regarding the discussion of the benefits of using a TA or booking direct, Oceania actually encourages their passengers to use a TA.  I attended the Oceania Club Ambassador’s presentation today and she talked about the great relationship they have with TA’s. It’s part of her Power Point slide deck. 

I’ve done it both ways and I can say that there are monetary benefits of using a TA in the form of OBC. I got it on the first O cruise I booked through the TA. You don’t have to be a regular cruiser or a big spender to get it. 

After reading this thread I have decided on the "free" perks :

1, choose cruise only

2, you are now " free"  to choose air line, flight schedule, when to fly,etc,

3. you are now "free " to choose how many tours you want. or you can take a chance and wait until you are on board

4. you are now "free"  to choose whatever drink package whenever you want.Or none at all.

5. Good TA's are also worth the price.."free"  !

If it is too late to pick cruise only..get a hat..put in 2 chances..Drinks and Tours, Pick out one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ORV said:

I don't know why I do this, but I'll try, If you're referring to me, you couldn't be making more incorrect assumptions. I know exactly what each component of my cruise vacation costs are.  You might say this is not my first rodeo with Oceania, unlike some other posters here.  The only issue I've had is that you've posted a couple of things as normal policy that are not always the case, and when pointed out to you, you stubbornly seem to not accept that your conclusions might be wrong. If you stick around long enough, and book enough Oceania cruises, you'll find out that what's posted as policy, and what happens in real practice don't always align. There are many things, especially when it comes to Oceania Air becomes a "Let me find out"  

On the other hand yes, there are people that don't care and just want to know what the total is and when they're leaving. 

You keep putting things in that you somehow think I said that I never have in this thread. If you go back to the first time I quoted you I only pointed out one section. I don't know where you're getting half of the stuff you've come up with that you think I"ve said. If you need to be right so bad I'll say it, yeah, you're right. They never change anything or have special cases.

For me personally I've always found value in listening to people that have been there done that. Life is simpler that way.  I'm done with this. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 11:20 AM, mauibabes said:

...We recently completed a 5 Star tour with a luxury cruise line with a number of friends, not Oceania. It ended up being less than advertised in some key facets of the trip, but not all. The TA was on the tour and was in contact with the Tour company along the way. When we returned home, the TA immediately followed up with the company. ... To me, there is very good reason to use a quality Travel Agency and Agent. ...

Needed the laugh. The entirely NOT so normal or usual or customary "real-world analysis" for the masses. Rather atypical as a percentage of cruises where your TA happens to be on your specific cruise? Of course, the TA (who may be part wizard, part magician; the TA behind the curtain) remains anonymous.

BUT, IF your TA travels with you on every or just many cruises and IF you spend what, say $10,000-$100,000 (and up!) annually with your TA, YMMV from mine!

But I'm still waiting for the example that starts with, "Called a TA for my 1st time cruise. She gave me the O Presidents' Sale price in December, months before O put the cruise on sale in February." Now that would be a powerful TA indeed. Or would be in the real world if they existed and could make such things happen. Which they can't.

51 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Needed the laugh. The entirely NOT so normal or usual or customary "real-world analysis" for the masses. Rather atypical as a percentage of cruises where your TA happens to be on your specific cruise? Of course, the TA (who may be part wizard, part magician; the TA behind the curtain) remains anonymous.

BUT, IF your TA travels with you on every or just many cruises and IF you spend what, say $10,000-$100,000 (and up!) annually with your TA, YMMV from mine!

But I'm still waiting for the example that starts with, "Called a TA for my 1st time cruise. She gave me the O Presidents' Sale price in December, months before O put the cruise on sale in February." Now that would be a powerful TA indeed. Or would be in the real world if they existed and could make such things happen. Which they can't.

Even when I could only afford a cruise one a year or, more often, fewer, my TA fowarded me the advance releases of new cruises (before they are open for booking), and if I found a cruise to my liking, I would ask her to pre-book it with my specific staterom request.  She did it.  

If I had reservations in place when sales come out and if my sailing is included, I would ask her to price the difference for me.  She would read the fine print and sometimes the sale would be advantageous and sometimes not. If it was advantageous, she would rebook with the sale price.

She does not travel with us.

In all cases, we received refundable SBC, free gratuities, or both.

You seem set on not using a TA. So I would recommend you do it your way and move on.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

……But I'm still waiting for the example that starts with, "Called a TA for my 1st time cruise. She gave me the O Presidents' Sale price in December, months before O put the cruise on sale in February." Now that would be a powerful TA indeed. Or would be in the real world if they existed and could make such things happen. Which they can't.

No “power” needed.

1. Book Onboard (months prior to any future O holiday sale, which we know from experience will be coming). Of course, this would be harder if we’re talking about someone booking their first O cruise. However, it is possible to have a friend or family member do a “book onboard” for you

2. Transfer to TA during the allowable 30 day window).

3. When O sale happens, have TA exercise your original Book Onboard “lower price match guarantee” (if price is actually lower and there’s cabin availability). But, don’t forget to do the math on any changes in air/air credit $ and/or O Life perks.

I’m booking my first Oceania cruise this week.  I have decided that I will take either  the drink package or excursion perk for my booking.  My question is do you need to decide at the time of booking which perk you want or can select the perk when it gets closer to your cruise date.   

6 minutes ago, ncgolferette said:

I’m booking my first Oceania cruise this week.  I have decided that I will take either  the drink package or excursion perk for my booking.  My question is do you need to decide at the time of booking which perk you want or can select the perk when it gets closer to your cruise date.   

I am aware that you are able to switch your cruise perk up to final payment date. I have read some posters were able to also switch their cruise perk after final payment date. What you can’t do is drop a perk after final payment date.

I know this doesn’t exactly answer your question (i’m confident someone else will chime in with a more exact response), but this is the information that I have. Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, ncgolferette said:

If you are going to pick a perk  then choose that option now

You can always change it at a later date

If you choose not to take a perk then it will cost you to add it at a later date 

If you do the Shore excursions you up to 14 days prior to sailing to choose your allotted number

they are per cabin  (except for solo travelers it is PP)

Both parties in the cabin have to choose the same perk 

The Fine Print

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/promotion-terms/

Great thread.  First O cruise next month booked well over year and a half ago.  Experienced cruiser - first transatlantic in 1949 with family and we have visited all 7 continents.  Thread confirms all the perspectives we have gisted since booking.  Oceania appears to obfuscate a lot of the costs and pricing by making it difficult to understand and choose.  Interesting business model for a business.  Confuse the prospective buyer to the point of making them believe they are getting the best for their money while never really knowing.  

Whether we travel with Oceania again will be determined on the upcoming cruise.  I do not like being made a fool and it appears this is the primary business model.  I don't understand why Oceania makes it so difficult.  This is not putting their "best foot" forward.  FYI - we took the basic no perks fare for a PH cabin and found good pricing for flights.  Probably all with less work and angst than if we had swallowed the whole O magilla.  Excursions have been booked with private venders.  I feel a bit distanced from O in that the company could have made more $$$ by just being straight forward with their approach to our cruise.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 9:43 AM, jonthomas said:

We have used an amazing O rep to book all of our cruises. He makes sure everything is right. Then I use the 30 days to turn it over to an agent that will give me additional obcs and a rebate. I like this system as the O rep is very knowledgeable and always has our best interest. I email him and arrange a time when he can call and get all this done by phone. He usually preps it all just from the email and then holds for a week, while we make sure all is in order. He has told me many times that there is NO loss to him when I turn it over to an agent. 

We have a great O rep. She waits in line for us, let's us know of upcoming sales, does all the math for us. For our upcoming cruise, the price of our room has risen $3000+.

But being in Australia, I am not sure we get benefit from turning it over to a TA at all. Last time I enquired with the agent who has done our flights for our May 2nd cruise, he said it wasn't worth it for them. Maybe there is a difference in treatment of TAs here. Can anyone enlighten me? 

@Ride-The-Waves

Hopefully your actual cruise experience will bring you back to the “O family” instead of being a frustrated one and done cruiser. I think I have a solution to ease your concerns. Take it from so many of us long time O family members, in your first few days aboard, go sit down with the Oceania Club Ambassador and discuss the many benefits of booking On Board.  This is NOT any Top Secret revelation but it is a great benefit for a first timer on Oceania and how you can help resolve your issues with their business model. I do not know if you are traveling as a couple or with friends, but if you decide to book a future cruise and want to expose other friend or family to Oceania, be advised you can get them booked with you and they too can earn the On Board Booking Discount. 🛳️💵👍🍹

Have  a great trip and I am sure you will share your experience with us CC Oceania posters to let us know how it went. We love O so hopefully no “One and Done”. Experience. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Interesting read.We are looking at a 2024 cruise with Oceania.This weekend we are at a luxury travel show and Oceania will be there. And so now I'm now wondering if we should wait until  our christmas cruise to see an Ambassador onboard for best deals?

Can someone enlighten me on the benefits offered please.

Edited by janecambridge

I agree with mauibabes about the big benefits of booking onboard. We just purchased a future cruise certificate onboard which gave us a $300 credit on the current cruise.  This has been increased because we did this in March and received only a $100 credit.  There is also a reduced deposit of $250 per person instead of the normal $750. 

The Oceania Club Ambassador was very busy every day so it appears many passengers are taking advantage of the benefits of booking onboard. 

@janecambridge

Take your cruise booking information with you to the travel show and ask the Rep if there is anything they can do to get the OBB discount applied. Also, 30 days in advance of your December sailing you should be able to make a booking with the On Board Credit applied.  Let them do the computer booking magic, just tell them you want the discount applied along with any other perks. I am sure they can make it happen. If unsuccessful there, definitely see the OCA when you get aboard and make your request.  They seem to have the ability to make things happen, even if it required a rebooking. If you have a TA, they will not be impacted. 
Enjoy the show,

Mauibabes

• Like 2

On 10/30/2022 at 9:30 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

No “power” needed.

1. Book Onboard (months prior to any future O holiday sale, which we know from experience will be coming). Of course, this would be harder if we’re talking about someone booking their first O cruise. However, it is possible to have a friend or family member do a “book onboard” for you

2. Transfer to TA during the allowable 30 day window).

3. When O sale happens, have TA exercise your original Book Onboard “lower price match guarantee” (if price is actually lower and there’s cabin availability). But, don’t forget to do the math on any changes in air/air credit $ and/or O Life perks.

Very wise. 

• Like 1