Purchasing Beverage Packages

Sny

To answer the questions, one must first define a Sommelier. The wine industry now has a test and certification processes to become a certified sommelier. Those without the certification are considered wine stewards or just waiters. However, in a practical sense, this doesn’t stop those establishments not wanting to pay for the certified Somm calling their wait staffs sommeliers.

As part of the Agreement with Dom Perignon to do the La Reserve Dom Perignon dinners, Oceania had to agree to hire and have aboard ship a certified Sommelier. So the Marina and Riveria brought one each aboard in late 2018 when that program began. Before then, I never meet any of the wine stewards with sommelier certification. The staff, even those at the paid tastings and in La Reserve were all wine stewards before with varying degrees of experience and knowledge, but definitely not up to sommelier certification standards. Whatever title any particular steward is given aboard ship is a different question. The number of active wine stewards aboard seems to vary.

FWIW, some speculation suggests that by not having La Reserve on the Vista means Oceania can save the money by not being required to hire a certified sommelier which costs multiples more than a waiter. Just offering the meal in Privee is probably outside of the original agreement.

• Like 4

On 9/3/2022 at 10:14 AM, pinotlover said:

To answer the questions, one must first define a Sommelier. The wine industry now has a test and certification processes to become a certified sommelier. Those without the certification are considered wine stewards or just waiters. However, in a practical sense, this doesn’t stop those establishments not wanting to pay for the certified Somm calling their wait staffs sommeliers.

As part of the Agreement with Dom Perignon to do the La Reserve Dom Perignon dinners, Oceania had to agree to hire and have aboard ship a certified Sommelier. So the Marina and Riveria brought one each aboard in late 2018 when that program began. Before then, I never meet any of the wine stewards with sommelier certification. The staff, even those at the paid tastings and in La Reserve were all wine stewards before with varying degrees of experience and knowledge, but definitely not up to sommelier certification standards. Whatever title any particular steward is given aboard ship is a different question. The number of active wine stewards aboard seems to vary.

FWIW, some speculation suggests that by not having La Reserve on the Vista means Oceania can save the money by not being required to hire a certified sommelier which costs multiples more than a waiter. Just offering the meal in Privee is probably outside of the original agreement.

I earned my tastevin 40 years ago at Windows on the World.  I get a kick out of waiters who didn't earn it but wearing one calling themselves a sommelier, it's like the stolen valor of wine snobs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nooosey said:

Those who are at Silver level can apparently receive 10% discount on a drinks package. Does anyone know if the 10% would be applied to an upgrade to Prestige which would bring down the daily upgrade cost to $18.

I think it's when you buy the package outright, without Olife being involved. I don't know if has to be pre-cruise or not. Maybe someone that knows for sure can chime in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrammieK said:

I was told it has to be when purchasing full package pre cruise. 

By full package do you mean the Prestige Package? The O club sheet says 10% off Prestige or House Select. 

2 hours ago, nooosey said:

Those who are at Silver level can apparently receive 10% discount on a drinks package. Does anyone know if the 10% would be applied to an upgrade to Prestige which would bring down the daily upgrade cost to $18.

I  am sure there is something in the fine print   where it does not apply to O Life deals

"In order to receive savings on the Unlimited Passport Collection and beverage packages, purchases must be made prior to sailing. Savings on beverage packages only apply to House Select and Prestige Select packages."

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/promotion-terms/

On 9/2/2022 at 2:03 PM, sunlover12 said:

We went to a sommelier on embarkation day who was posted in the Upper Hall on Deck 5.  DH wanted to  upgrade to Premium beverage package. The only thing the sommelier can do is make a notation on a piece of paper which we had to take to Customer Service. They have to issue a new card which can be quick and easy depending on the experience level of the staff. The desk is always busy on embarkation day so be patient and they'll get it done. Maybe someday Oceania will let us upgrade online or via phone before we board. 

We knew we wanted to upgrade, so the first thing we did on board was go to the Customer Service desk.  At the moment whe were not busy (maybe we were lucky). They had our package upgraded and new key cards issued in about 5 minutes.

• Like 4

I had the same “unable to purchase” message as OP two weeks ago.  Our TA checked with O for us, and guess what?  O advised that drinks packages can now only be purchased on board.  No more pre-embarkation purchasing for drinks packages.

9 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I had the same “unable to purchase” message as OP two weeks ago.  Our TA checked with O for us, and guess what?  O advised that drinks packages can now only be purchased on board.  No more pre-embarkation purchasing for drinks packages.

Got the same message 2 weeks before my Aug 18, 2022 Med cruise.  Called O and they added it over the phone no problem.  

One of the benefits of the pre cruise purchase, of either package, is the avoidance of paying the VAT if purchased aboard ship in some of the countries. Can’t really imagine why O would not take your money upfront! 

If I had the problem, it would result in a quick call to my TA. I’m positive she would get it done.

• Like 1

Something doesn't make sense, only way to get Oceania Club discount is to pre purchase, yet people are being told you can't purchase until on ship. 

Are we sure they weren't talking about doing the upgrade? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Something doesn't make sense, only way to get Oceania Club discount is to pre purchase, yet people are being told you can't purchase until on ship. 

Are we sure they weren't talking about doing the upgrade? 

I agree  if trying to upgrade from the O Life deal prior  to sailing that could be the issue

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I agree  if trying to upgrade from the O Life deal prior  to sailing that could be the issue

The Oceania discount does not apply to upgrading from O Life perk to Prestige package - only on purchase of full package.

4 hours ago, basor said:

The Oceania discount does not apply to upgrading from O Life perk to Prestige package - only on purchase of full package.

I know   😉

What was the question again? 😁

the thread  has a mind of it's own

• Haha 1

I think it was because I didn't have enough SBC to cover the cost.  My TA called and gave them our credit card info (yet again), and a charge was placed on it for the cost of the Prestige package, minus the remaining SBC.  Interesting to note that, as experienced as I thought she was, my TA did not think only one of us could purchase the package because it would be easy for people to cheat.  I guess that, on other lines, everyone in the same cabin must have the same beverage plan.  I appreciate that O treats us like the honest, good citizens we are.

Then again, I am sure that, if someone was caught abusing the plan, the result would not be pleasant.

• Like 1

I need to explain that booking conditions in Australia differ from those in USA, just as UK conditions differ from other countries.  We are governed by the government guidelines and legislation covering tourism with all its categories.  For instance, the automatic refunds I read about for cancelled US booked cruises are not automatically granted here.  We are offered cruise credits, and Oceania is very strict as to how those credits can be used (booking and sailing within certain time frames).  They were lenient during Covid, but not over-generous.  Quite often, the incentives offered here will not be offered in other countries, and sometimes the reverse of that applies.  Our TA is efficient, knowledgeable, and like a terrier with a bone when she needs to be, but if Oceania has decided the packages can only be purchased aboard when applied to Australian bookings, then that's how it is.  We don't mind, actually, making the decision within the first day or two aboard, because it gives us the opportunity of comparing the wines offered in the premium package with those on the wine lists in the restaurants.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sny said:

I think it was because I didn't have enough SBC to cover the cost.  My TA called and gave them our credit card info (yet again), and a charge was placed on it for the cost of the Prestige package, minus the remaining SBC.  Interesting to note that, as experienced as I thought she was, my TA did not think only one of us could purchase the package because it would be easy for people to cheat.  I guess that, on other lines, everyone in the same cabin must have the same beverage plan.  I appreciate that O treats us like the honest, good citizens we are.

Then again, I am sure that, if someone was caught abusing the plan, the result would not be pleasant.

Thanks  for the info

Glad you got it sorted out

7 hours ago, roger b said:

My question is I am doing a B to B and on the first cruise I have an ultimate package and a lot of s SBC can i buy a 7 for 6 wine package on the first cruise and hold the bottles over until the second cruise ? 

Yes you can buy the 7 bottle package & they will carry it over  along with any unused OBC you may have

8 hours ago, roger b said:

My question is I am doing a B to B and on the first cruise I have an ultimate package and a lot of s SBC can i buy a 7 for 6 wine package on the first cruise and hold the bottles over until the second cruise ? 

I think I read that you can actually take unopened bottles with you when you disembark.

Thanks for the info on upgrading from Select to Prestige once onboard and hoping for the 10% silver discount. I will be boarding soon so will not expect this perk although I will ask!

On a point of interest, our last cruise on O was in March, On boarding a request was made for us to go straight to muster stations and the card was swiped to record attendance. One of our party saw a desk set up with waiters selling drinks packages, he went straight to said desk, and on purchasing was issued with a new card, he then went to muster station and the card was not recognised, quite a time was then needed going to guest services to try and make the new card work for mustering, in the end they had to put a note on their system to confirm that the guest had been to his muster station and had complied with the requirements.