Sharing Diamond drink vouchers

mspink98

3 minutes ago, neilp said:

expanding this sharing question, if my Son and his partner have a drinks package, is he allowed to share his diamond drinks with me and his Mom ?  i.e can he go to the bar and order a drink off his package and another drink using a voucher ?

He just needs to specify when he's ordering them...No one cares how the vouchers are used.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

They get nothing extra. I think they volunteer and work for tips. We always tip a dollar a drink on voucher drinks.

Exactly what we do...and always in cash.  🙂   I bring on a pack or two of dollar bills from the bank pre cruise.  

• Like 1

We play to get bottles of water to use on our excursions if we don't use our vouchers. I don't drink alcohol and hubby does. I may use one per day to get a mocktail or something, but I don't see him using 7 per day especially when we can get the coffees from the lounge and we did buy a soda package. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2022 at 3:54 PM, neilp said:

expanding this sharing question, if my Son and his partner have a drinks package, is he allowed to share his diamond drinks with me and his Mom ?  i.e can he go to the bar and order a drink off his package and another drink using a voucher ?

If you mean on a Royal cruise, yes, the 4 daily drinks vouchers can be used for anyone, and not only for the Diamond member. 

On 9/5/2022 at 8:48 AM, davekathy said:

No gratuity automatically charged. Tip what you want no matter the drink.  

There is a spot on the receipt where you can add a tip.  On my last cruise in October, I just added $1.00 as a tip for each drink.

40 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I hate to turn this into a tipping thread but here goes. We (myself included) need to be tipping more than $1. If drinks now cost $14, then a $1 tip is less than 10%.

The bar staff in the Lounges for upper levels of C&A members are happy to get ANY tips.  Many, many passengers don't tip at all for their drinks, because they are "free".  I have cruising friends that didn't use to tip, either, until they silently watched as I tipped for every single one of my free drinks.  They got the message.

13 hours ago, shofer said:

There is a spot on the receipt where you can add a tip.  On my last cruise in October, I just added $1.00 as a tip for each drink.

Never been handed a receipt for CAS drinks. 

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I hate to turn this into a tipping thread but here goes. We (myself included) need to be tipping more than $1. If drinks now cost $14, then a $1 tip is less than 10%.

Knock yourself out.  🙃 What others do or don't do is only their business. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 9:45 AM, doghog said:

Never been handed a receipt for CAS drinks. 

There was some discussion of the receipts on this board so I was expecting it.  But it is a new thing from last year.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:01 AM, cruiseguy1016 said:

Since I always pre-pay gratuities, my understanding was the bar staff is included in this pot.  Also, I am Diamond for the 4 drinks/day that I am not charged, so I felt adding $1 was just a bonus.  I never exceed the 4 drinks/day since I prefer to chew my calories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, shofer said:

There was some discussion of the receipts on this board so I was expecting it.  But it is a new thing from last year.

Also mentioned on the RCI forum that receipts were inconsistent fleetwide for CAS drinks.  

1 minute ago, shofer said:

Since I always pre-pay gratuities, my understanding was the bar staff is included in this pot.  Also, I am Diamond for the 4 drinks/day that I am not charged, so I felt adding $1 was just a bonus.  I never exceed the 4 drinks/day since I prefer to chew my calories.

Bar staff is not included in the daily gratuity.  There is an 18% gratuity added to drinks (either at purchase or via a beverage package). 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, shofer said:

As mentioned, the bar staff is not included in the daily gratuities. They get tips from the 18% added to each PURCHASED drink. Since the Diamond drinks are not purchased, they do not receive a tip for those drinks. That is why I thought we ought to be tipping more than $1 on the free drinks. An 18% tip on a $14 drink is $2.50.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

As mentioned, the bar staff is not included in the daily gratuities. They get tips from the 18% added to each PURCHASED drink. Since the Diamond drinks are not purchased, they do not receive a tip for those drinks. That is why I thought we ought to be tipping more than $1 on the free drinks. An 18% tip on a $14 drink is $2.50.

Well I guess I was misinformed about the tip pool.  I always tip generously for service rendered so will do so on any future cruises.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:45 AM, pcur said:

The bar staff in the Lounges for upper levels of C&A members are happy to get ANY tips.  Many, many passengers don't tip at all for their drinks, because they are "free".  I have cruising friends that didn't use to tip, either, until they silently watched as I tipped for every single one of my free drinks.  They got the message.

And cash is preferred. 

On 9/5/2022 at 1:10 PM, Georgeny said:

I have question, are the waiters compensated by line for service of a voucher drink? Or are they expected to just serve it as a part of their duties? 

We alway tip our waiters. It isn’t a matter of whether they are paid to serve drinks or not. Vouchers or beverage package.