NCL Joy Canada & New England 9/6/22

Sailing12Away

14 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Lots of good local beer & James said the scallops were the best he's ever had.

The picture you included looked like muscles and lobster claws, I didn't see any scallops in the pictures.

For anyone not interested in an NCL tour, the excursion hall had some local shops, and about 5 mins behind that was a big food hall with more shops & places to eat.

The restaurant we went to was another 3min walk past that, and there's tons of breweries walking distance from there. We're on a beer & spirit tour now, so we'll see where they take us. But lots of things close to visit if you have a late tour or wanted to just wander on your own.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sailing12Away said:

For anyone not interested in an NCL tour, the excursion hall had some local shops, and about 5 mins behind that was a big food hall with more shops & places to eat.

The restaurant we went to was another 3min walk past that, and there's tons of breweries walking distance from there. We're on a beer & spirit tour now, so we'll see where they take us. But lots of things close to visit if you have a late tour or wanted to just wander on your own.

Have a fun time! 🍻 Lift one for us! 🍻

• Like 2

I wonder if you can buy beer in any of these ports to bring home. Would the cruise line hold it for you until we got back? Some of them look so interesting that we would like to bring them back to give to our son in law (also a few for us)

You are in my beautiful home, Charlottetown, PEI today. We are booked to go on the Joy to Bermuda in Nov. so I went down today to get a closer look. You certainly had a great day weather wise..seen lots of line ups to the seafood restaurants. Our province has so much to offer that a day in Port is not enough to really see its beauty. Perhaps you will come back again sometime!!! Enjoy the rest of your cruise and thanks for all the pics and info!!!

• Like 2

I believe that you will be in my hometown, Halifax, on Sunday. Hopefully you are aware that there is far more to it than Peggy's Cove which for some reason is used as the "icon" for tourists. Spending the day exploring the 3km long Harbourwalk right next to the pier or taking a tour of the historic downtown will interest most people far more than over-paying to spend a couple of hours on a bus to see Peggy's Cove. If you have time to do both or are a big lighthouse/fishing village fan go for it all or come back again!  The Maritime Museum along the way on the Waterfront includes exhibits of both the Titanic and Halifax Explosion. Lots of food places, bars, shops and of course boats and boat tours. One cheap way to see the lay of the land is from the ferry which is about 10 minutes back and forth across the harbour. https://www.novascotia.com/trip-ideas/stories/halifax-waterfront-day

https://www.your-nova-scotia-holiday.com/halifax-harbourfront.html  

I look forward to this same Joyful cruise when our woke federal government drops all the testing hoops we have to jump through to cross the border. My apologies on behalf of the majority of Canadians who do not support these protocols. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

I believe that you will be in my hometown, Halifax, on Sunday. Hopefully you are aware that there is far more to it than Peggy's Cove which for some reason is used as the "icon" for tourists.

ive been to Halifax many times in the past and so far i never been to peggy cove. i am thinking of going to peggy cove on my cruise next month. From my research, it just a light house like a standard regular lighthouse you can find petty much everywhere. there is like nothing there to makes it standout. there is like no wow factor there. Sure the rocks in the area is cool, but thats it

22 minutes ago, shof515 said:

ve been to Halifax many times in the past and so far i never been to peggy cove. i am thinking of going to peggy cove on my cruise next month. From my research, it just a light house like a standard regular lighthouse you can find petty much everywhere. there is like nothing there to makes it standout. there is like no wow factor there. Sure the rocks in the area is cool, but thats it

That is exactly the point I was trying to make! If it is one or the other, stay in the city and see the sights which are more convenient and interesting. Take the excursion money and use it for the Maritime Museum and buy some local brews while sitting beside the harbour. 

• Like 2

The first drink was made to look like baby Yoda. We are abusing our drink package in true rat pack form.

In no particular order we've had a bunch of frozen grasshoppers, rum cakes, cherry rum cakes, frozen/non frozen tiramisu, key lime pie, pineapple upside down cake (that was the one with the green swirls on top - my tongue is still blue this morning, use a straw for that one), chocolate cherry old fashioned, toasted almond, blueberry smash, cucumber something or other (I just tell them to make me something refreshing with cucumber and it's always good), apple pie, frangelico + amaretto, no rumchatta on board but Armand made his own variation....

You name it or invent it and they'll make it for you. The last drink was a beer shot, liquor 43 with cream foam on top.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Today we're in Sydney Cape Breton Island. Tomorrow will be Halifax.

Still no hash browns, but they're bringing heaping piles of home fries instead. Also finally got some apple juice, they originally gave us a pitcher of OJ when we asked for apple (less acidic, too much heartburn with all the alcohol consumed) but today they brought a carton of apple with breakfast. Small wins, first world problems. Going off the ship to walk and wander town on our own today making our own pub crawl.

IMG_20220910_090002.jpg

IMG_20220910_090018.jpg

IMG_20220910_090026.jpg

IMG_20220910_090211.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

We are abusing our drink package in true rat pack form.

You go girl!!  We're with you in spirit, if not in spirits.  Those drinks look fantastic.  Finally, a reason for this rat to pull out his wallet and go haven??  (likely not... 🤣)🐀

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

my tongue is still blue this morning, use a straw for that one

Unless you think it is kinda' fun to walk around with a blue tongue. 🤡

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We just bumped into two cast members from the Footloose show here in a pub in Sydney. They said the lead was feeling ill and the backup had to head home for a death in the family, that's why the rest of the shows were cancelled.

So interesting to chat with them and hear about life on the ship. Lots of crew members have a day off today so look for them around town and buy them a round to thank them for all their hard work.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1