No More Free Casitas

RCCL Fan

Just an FYI --  Casitas are now being sold on Navigator.

When I first booked this cruise, I went to buy a casita for Sea Days because my last two cruises had crazy packed pool decks and no where to sit. 

Paying for a casita wasn't an option in the cruise planner.    I asked about it on here and everyone told me casitas are free on Navigator.  No charge.

Well guess what popped up in my cruise planner today? A $200 Sea Day Casita. 

Just fyi - in case you have navigator booked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Just an FYI --  Casitas are now being sold on Navigator.

When I first booked this cruise, I went to buy a casita for Sea Days because my last two cruises had crazy packed pool decks and no where to sit. 

Paying for a casita wasn't an option in the cruise planner.    I asked about it on here and everyone told me casitas are free on Navigator.  No charge.

Well guess what popped up in my cruise planner today? A $200 Sea Day Casita. 

Just fyi - in case you have navigator booked.

Been that way for a year on other ships. Freedom started last fall.

2 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Been that way for a year on other ships. Freedom started last fall.

Right, I know.  That's why I tried to pay for mine as soon as I booked the cruise, and everyone on here  was like nope, they're free on Navigator. 

Just passing along the update on this ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RCCL Fan said:

Right, I know.  That's why I tried to pay for mine as soon as I booked the cruise, and everyone on here  was like nope, they're free on Navigator. 

Just passing along the update on this ship.

I replied to your other post yesterday, and reported Navigator Casitas were now ‘reserve only’ last week while I was on Navigator. Guess you were not checking the threads last week.

I was told by Alex the Guest Services Manager, the change was implemented when the ship was able to get all the ‘call buttons’ installed and this was recently completed.

17 minutes ago, wallyj said:

I replied to your other post yesterday, and reported Navigator Casitas were now ‘reserve only’ last week while I was on Navigator. Guess you were not checking the threads last week.

I was told by Alex the Guest Services Manager, the change was implemented when the ship was able to get all the ‘call buttons’ installed and this was recently completed.

Sorry I missed it.

I get yelled at by my friends for posting on facebook, but never bothering to actually read my feed and seeing what other people are posting.

Selfish jerk I am. lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Sorry I missed it.

I get yelled at by my friends for posting on facebook, but never bothering to actually read my feed and seeing what other people are posting.

Selfish jerk I am. lol

If I had not read a few of your ‘post cruise’ reports, I would think you were serious.

The free Casitas were fun while they lasted, just like the reduced passengers.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wallyj said:

If I had not read a few of your ‘post cruise’ reports, I would think you were serious.

The free Casitas were fun while they lasted, just like the reduced passengers.

Nah, life's too short to get bent out of shape!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We have reserved a casita for a sea day on our Odyssey cruise Dec. 3.  I understand they are not assigned until the morning of the reservation.  Any idea if you can get a refund in OBC if you change your mind due to weather/ unfavourable location , etc?  Were you able to reserve ahead of time? Thank you!

Was looking at booking one myself — just not sure if it is a good value for us since we don’t spend a whole day pool side.  Wish they offered half day reservations.  Imagine we will pass on this trip, unless I notice the price dropping to make it appealing enough.

Edited by 3kidsncats

7 hours ago, pattak619 said:

I feel kinda dumb,but I don’t know what a casitas is, can someone explain and are they on all RCCL ships?

Not on all ships.

It's a little "hut" or "gazebo" or whatever -- just a little area to separate you from the people around you (but not necessarily provide shade, depending on the angle of the sun).  

DSC_0108_1.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

I wouldn't pay $5 for that.  

The photo is not exactly accurate for what you pay for in that a paid casita includes an ice chest table with water bottles inside, two cocktails, a coded locker to store your phone etc while in the pool, a button to call for drink service, and a charge outlet.  So not worth it to me to pay $180 on the sea day on my upcoming sailing (or $140 for the port day) since we don’t do the pool all day.  If we were on a 7 day, I might go for it as it really is quite nice to have a dedicated space to come and go as you please with no issues of it being available for you.  I think another factor is how booked/crowded is your sailing?  If it’s at or close to capacity, this could be a better value.

6 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

The photo is not exactly accurate for what you pay for in that a paid casita includes an ice chest table with water bottles inside, two cocktails, a coded locker to store your phone etc while in the pool, a button to call for drink service, and a charge outlet.  So not worth it to me to pay $180 on the sea day on my upcoming sailing (or $140 for the port day) since we don’t do the pool all day.  If we were on a 7 day, I might go for it as it really is quite nice to have a dedicated space to come and go as you please with no issues of it being available for you.  I think another factor is how booked/crowded is your sailing?  If it’s at or close to capacity, this could be a better value.

MAYBE if it had dedicated shade I could see the point, but even then, I can't even see spending $50 on it.  

Water is free, I don't drink booze normally (and I have five freebie drinks a day from my D+ vouchers), waving a hand will attract a bar server, I've never had a problem leaving my phone in my bag on a lounger, and my phone will last a couple days without charging.  

To me, it seems like a "look at me, I'm SPECIAL" grandstanding opportunity for people who feel the need to draw attention to themselves (or separate themselves from the "unwashed masses" on the rest of the pool deck). 

But hey, if people want to pay for it, that's just more pure profit for Royal, and that subsidizes my cheap cruises so I can cruise more often!  Doesn't bother me one bit, just like if people want to pay $4K for a cabana on Coco Cay.  Everyone's allowed to spend their money on whatever they want.  

21 hours ago, brillohead said:

MAYBE if it had dedicated shade I could see the point, but even then, I can't even see spending $50 on it.  

Water is free, I don't drink booze normally (and I have five freebie drinks a day from my D+ vouchers), waving a hand will attract a bar server, I've never had a problem leaving my phone in my bag on a lounger, and my phone will last a couple days without charging.  

To me, it seems like a "look at me, I'm SPECIAL" grandstanding opportunity for people who feel the need to draw attention to themselves (or separate themselves from the "unwashed masses" on the rest of the pool deck). 

But hey, if people want to pay for it, that's just more pure profit for Royal, and that subsidizes my cheap cruises so I can cruise more often!  Doesn't bother me one bit, just like if people want to pay $4K for a cabana on Coco Cay.  Everyone's allowed to spend their money on whatever they want.  

Given that the earth rotates around the sun, kind of hard to provide dedicated shade unless you include walls, but then you get no breeze or view, so might as well be in your cabin.  

Some prefer bottled water, which is not free, and that is what is included.  The onboard tap water makes me swell at this point in my life, so yes, I will have to pay for water somewhere.  We do enjoy cocktails on vacation, and although our vouchers will most likely tide us over, others may count the included cocktails as a positive.  I bet that button attracts a bar server a lot faster than a hand, especially on a crowded pool deck.  Maybe you have a phone you are ok with leaving unattended, many are not remotely ok with that.  And lots of people these days live on their phone, sadly, even on vacation so charger access out by the pool might be handy for those passengers.  

I disagree with your blanket opinion that liking the idea of a casita reservation is an attention seeking  choice.  I’m sure for some people, it is.  But I am also sure that plenty of people just plain like the convenience it offers. Maybe they just want to splurge a little bit on their vacation.  If you can afford it, and want to book it, great.  If you think it’s a waste of money and aren’t interested, don’t book it.  Not sure why you feel the need to read this thread if you have so little interest in them, or why you choose to basically insult anyone who is interested, but whatever.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Given that the earth rotates around the sun, kind of hard to provide dedicated shade unless you include walls, but then you get no breeze or view, so might as well be in your cabin.

Actually, there is dedicated shade all around the edges of all the pool decks, covered by the sundeck.  No walls necessary, plenty of air movement (especially if the windows are open) and plenty of views in 360 degrees (people watching or water watching).

I disagree with your blanket opinion that liking the idea of a casita reservation is an attention seeking  choice.  I’m sure for some people, it is.

I think you misread my statement... I didn't say that ALL people (blanket statement) ONLY do it for attention seeking. I said, "for people who feel the need to draw attention to themselves".... which you actually AGREED WITH ME when you said, "I’m sure for some people, it is."  

But I am also sure that plenty of people just plain like the convenience it offers. Maybe they just want to splurge a little bit on their vacation.  If you can afford it, and want to book it, great.  If you think it’s a waste of money and aren’t interested, don’t book it.

Again, you're AGREEING with what I said....  Here, I'll show you again:

I'm not sure if there's a reading comprehension issue with you, or if you're just prejudiced to take offense at every single thing I say?  

If you are so horribly offended by every single thing I say, just ignore my posts.  It's not that hard to do.  

Casitas are a joke IMO. Seriously. Free, cool. $200 bucks, now that's hysterical. What's even funnier are the people who rent these things. God bless ya. If I could burn money maybe I would rent one too.

Edited by Moltar
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

How hard would it be to include those roll-up canvas panels to adjust up or down depending on the sun....seems like a major design flaw when you consider all the other sun bed and cabana type locations that RC charges for.

40 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

How hard would it be to include those roll-up canvas panels to adjust up or down depending on the sun....seems like a major design flaw when you consider all the other sun bed and cabana type locations that RC charges for.

Those require more manpower — they would have to be taken down and put back up daily or the fabrication would deteriorate and need to be replaced more frequently.  They also would blow around quite a bit, as I’ve observed on NCL ships.  And depending on the fabrication, especially more durable synthetic blends, there can be an effect of trapping heat.  They certainly can help with shade management but not without another set of issues which maybe RCI decided they didn’t want to get into.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Actually, there is dedicated shade all around the edges of all the pool decks, covered by the sundeck.  No walls necessary, plenty of air movement (especially if the windows are open) and plenty of views in 360 degrees (people watching or water watching).

I think you misread my statement... I didn't say that ALL people (blanket statement) ONLY do it for attention seeking. I said, "for people who feel the need to draw attention to themselves".... which you actually AGREED WITH ME when you said, "I’m sure for some people, it is."  

Again, you're AGREEING with what I said....  Here, I'll show you again:

I'm not sure if there's a reading comprehension issue with you, or if you're just prejudiced to take offense at every single thing I say?  

If you are so horribly offended by every single thing I say, just ignore my posts.  It's not that hard to do.  

Seems like you are easily taking offense, and the ignore function works for you as well. Is there some issue that you have that I agreed with portions of your comment?  That’s taking being easily offended to a whole new level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Seems like you are easily taking offense, and the ignore function works for you as well. Is there some issue that you have that I agreed with portions of your comment?  That’s taking being easily offended to a whole new level.

Yep, definitely a reading comprehension issue going on.  

I'm not offended in the least... just pointing out that your offense was confusing, given how much your statements agreed with what I said.

On 9/18/2022 at 1:55 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

I definitely wouldn't pay $200 for it.   Some of the ones on Oasis are in poor location or positioned strangely.   Majority sat empty on my 8.28 sailing.

They were all filled on our 9/11 Oasis sailing. The ship was so crowded (over 100% occupancy) that there were people crowded all around the casitas.  Agree they are strangely positioned.  I definitely would never pay $200 for one even if I had money to burn.  

• Like 1

We've booked a casita twice on Freedom. We did it on Nassau day so it was $149. I loved not having to worry about finding chairs at the pool & you can leave your stuff & go to trivia or lunch & then come back.

Also, the service was incredible. I don't think we ever pushed our call button & we were never without a drink. Our service was so great on our April cruise that we requested the same server for July. We don't get off the ship in Nassau, so we aren't spending money on excursions. $149 is much cheaper than most excursion and we had a great day both times we did it.

• Like 1