On Board Summit: Glad I Didn’t Upgrade to Premium Beverage

pickypicky

Just now, jagoffee said:

What brand of non premium SB did you drink?

I didn’t care for any of the non premium so my plan was to pay the difference for premium until I had a feel

for how good the selection was. Rendezvous and Cellar Masters only had one premium selection, Wairau River, which isn’t a favorite.  Until last night the MDR had two, lol. At least they still had a couple of decent Pinot Noirs and the Decoy cab. 

59 minutes ago, pickypicky said:

Last night the dining room had no Premium Sauvignon Blanc and no Chardonnay of any kind. I’d be pretty upset had I paid for the upgrade. 

Happened to me on Summit last July.  I pressed them in Cellar Masters, and they eventually found a bottle of premium Sav Blanc.  They ran out and the sommelier in Blu had to go to Luminea to get me another glass.  They claimed it was a stocking issue.  Wife used my premium for the Martini Bar to get special cocktails.  

• Like 1

Just now, Wineaux007 said:

Happened to me on Summit last July.  I pressed them in Cellar Masters, and they eventually found a bottle of premium Sav Blanc.  They ran out and the sommelier in Blu had to go to Luminea to get me another glass.  They claimed it was a stocking issue.  Wife used my premium for the Martini Bar to get special cocktails.  

The “sommelier” in the dining room seemed too busy to look for anything:(

5 minutes ago, pickypicky said:

There doesn’t seem to be any shortage of liquors. They have really fallen down in the wine department though. 

I might drink 2-3 glasses of Pinot Grigio on a cruise..not my bag, but I do feel for people that really enjoy their wines..

That has happened to us on several cruise lines, running out of the popular wines…. (We typically don’t upgrade the package unless it’s included…) The sommelier always has offered us something better, so it’s never been an issue for us 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pickypicky said:

I didn’t care for any of the non premium so my plan was to pay the difference for premium until I had a feel

for how good the selection was. Rendezvous and Cellar Masters only had one premium selection, Wairau River, which isn’t a favorite.  Until last night the MDR had two, lol. At least they still had a couple of decent Pinot Noirs and the Decoy cab. 

How much extra is the Decoy , we usually upgrade to premium but having second thoughts now. Decoy is one of our faves 

thx

2 hours ago, barneyboy said:

We usually upgrade as we like the Villa Maria and Ned Sauvignon blanc. The Wairau river is ok but like you, not our favourite. 

Our TA gifted us a bottle of Villa Maria onboard. We haven’t seen it anywhere by the glass. 

8 hours ago, pickypicky said:

There doesn’t seem to be any shortage of liquors. They have really fallen down in the wine department though. 

Our Total Wine store is experiencing shortages of some wines that have been readily available until this past month.  It's that pandemic supply thing again. 

Based on what I’ve been reading, I think we will be bringing 2 bottles each onboard with us to have in the dining room.  A trip to Total Wine preboading will be worth the it.

Four nice bottles this that w hand pick to have with dinner & we can count on will be awesome. 

No corkage fee if you have the drink package. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, njpln said:

running out of the popular wines…. (We typically don’t upgrade the package unless it’s included…) The sommelier always has offered us something better, so it’s never been an issue for us

6 hours ago, njpln said:

running out of the popular wines…. (We typically don’t upgrade the package unless it’s included…) The sommelier always has offered us something better, so it’s never been an issue for us 

I do think many people forfeit a chance to discover other interesting* and wonderful wines by insisting on the specific bottle they want. Decoy wines…. Very nice but nothing unique about them. They are high quality mass produced wines in a very popular style. But the ship is full of so much variety. Surely it’s a matter of asking and pressing. I have read tons of celebrity reviews this summer where the somm opened something typically sold by the bottle to pour by the glass on the premium bev package. 

• Thanks 1