dropping bags off at Guest Services

jkx

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

There was a time when the Grandeur did this - anyone could drop carryons at the South Pacific Lounge and pick them up when cabins became available at about 1 P.M.

I think that was as much because of crowding in the WJ and other areas as anything else.  I remember them doing that on a couple of our GR cruises, but it didn't last.  I saw maybe 15-20 bags there so it wasn't extremely popular, but those were carryon's.  OP sounds like he wants to bring his full size luggage on.   

5 hours ago, BND said:

I'm trying to figure out how anyone would think guest services would babysit someone's luggage.  Simple answer to OP's questions is just no.   

As for the longshoremen, this has been an issue forever and is worse at some ports.  It's extortion for them to threaten that bags won't make it onboard unless someone tips.  No telling how much money they rake in.  And, yes, we do tip, but if they stated a specific amount, it would be less.  

Several years back we had a parking fee collector in Baltimore ask for a tip.  For taking our fee and handing us a tag.  We just looked at her and didn't give her a dime.  They have since changed the company they use and they are a lot more professional and friendly.  

Ask for a tip and get NOTHING! Bea Arthur as Dorothy: "A Tip...a tip...Walk away now and no one gets hurt".

1 hour ago, BND said:

I think that was as much because of crowding in the WJ and other areas as anything else.  I remember them doing that on a couple of our GR cruises, but it didn't last.  I saw maybe 15-20 bags there so it wasn't extremely popular, but those were carryon's.  OP sounds like he wants to bring his full size luggage on.   

Yes, it ended, but it existed for quite a while.  🙂 

And if Grandeur could do it, surely any Vision class ship could.  Even Radiance class, in terms of size/passenger capacity.

8 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

If you are in a Grand Suite you can leave them in the Suite Lounge. We've done that, the concierge assured us they'd be safe as there are cameras in there. Left it behind his desk

This was being discussed a few days ago, and I thought this was the case, but I could not swear to it.  I'm glad to hear I was not having a "senior moment".  Regardless, we only bring one carry-on which is a small four-wheel laptop bag that has my laptop, our meds, passports, docs, and two bottles of wine.  

4 hours ago, pcur said:

My husband was a retired mechanic, and he used to say "you don't see old mechanics still working", because it's so hard on their knees, wrists, fingers, elbows, and backs.  Same for longshoremen.

No kidding!  Luckily my day job is not being a mechanic, but I do it as a hobby.  The older I get, the harder it has become.  I can still do many things, but my days of engine pulling and transmission dropping are over.  I know a few older (age 60+) mechanics, but most of them have transitioned to supervisory roles where they help the younger guys with diagnostics and the understanding the odd situations they have experienced over the years.

4 hours ago, pcur said:

I say give them their tips.  I usually greet them with a HUGE smile and say, "I am so very happy to see you!  Here take this heavy suitcase, please." I say it, give them money, and they take the suitcase away.  It's magic.

Yeah, unless I check my bag at the inside counter at the airline desk, I always tip anyone I hand my bag to - curbside airport, car driver, hotel valet, bell hop, cruise ship porter, etc.  I mean, this is a few dollars I hand to someone who helps me.  It's not a big deal. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So true, I guess some people think it's like a hotel where sometimes guest services can store your luggage.  What a disaster that would be on a cruise ship 

Yeah, I think the OP was thinking guest services is more like a bell desk to hold/deliver luggage (in fancy hotels haha) instead of realizing that the dock luggage drop off is that instead....

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 1:10 PM, jkx said:

an I go in the ship and drop them off at Guest Services

If you have the key, you can carry on and drop off at the MDR for them to get to your cabin while you have chops menu lunch. (Unpopular take, but would accomplish what you're looking for)

Hey, be nice, Everyone.  The OP hasn't cruised before and doesn't know how things work.  You were a newbie once too.  

Similarly, I'm a high school teacher -- how in the world would I be expected to know the difference between a porter and a longshoreman?  I don't live in that world; I just visit occasionally.  Moreover, I don't really care what they're called -- long as they take good care of my luggage.  

As for tipping, I've always done it, and I'll keep doing it.  The guy who collects your bag doesn't carry it onto the ship, true.  But he does control which rolling cart carries it on; he can put it on the ready-to-go cart, or he can let it sit around a while before he sends it on its short journey.  

I'd like to carry my own suitcase on.  I like maintaining control of my own stuff, and how hard is it to wheel a rolling carry-on?  That plus a backpack carry-on is enough for me.  But my husband is against it, and I let him have this one.  

We just got off Explorer yesterday -- our first cruise in some time -- and we had an odd experience:  In the past, our luggage was always dropped right at our door.  We waited and waited, wanting to get our room set up before we really "went out to play".  I looked out in the hall a couple times, and I saw a bunch of luggage lined up neatly down the hall, and I figured our end would have a delivery soon.  After about an hour, I decided to walk down the hall -- yep, found my suitcase.  Not a problem, just not what I expected.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Tiggerontheseas said:

Ha!  Having foreknowledge from your ouija board must have saved you tons of stress before they finally pulled it off.  Insanity.  🙂

Cincy was 6 and a half point favorites so I won well before the Steelers did! 😁

But that was a wild finish. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Hey, be nice, Everyone.  The OP hasn't cruised before and doesn't know how things work.  You were a newbie once too.  

I wish I could remember being a newbie. 

Similarly, I'm a high school teacher -- how in the world would I be expected to know the difference between a porter and a longshoreman?  I don't live in that world; I just visit occasionally.  Moreover, I don't really care what they're called -- long as they take good care of my luggage.  

As for tipping, I've always done it, and I'll keep doing it.  The guy who collects your bag doesn't carry it onto the ship, true.  But he does control which rolling cart carries it on; he can put it on the ready-to-go cart, or he can let it sit around a while before he sends it on its short journey.  

Yeah, it's been ingrained in me that if someone handles my luggage, I tip.  

We just got off Explorer yesterday -- our first cruise in some time -- and we had an odd experience:  In the past, our luggage was always dropped right at our door.  We waited and waited, wanting to get our room set up before we really "went out to play".  I looked out in the hall a couple times, and I saw a bunch of luggage lined up neatly down the hall, and I figured our end would have a delivery soon.  After about an hour, I decided to walk down the hall -- yep, found my suitcase.  Not a problem, just not what I expected.  

I have heard that they are doing this now.   Probably crew shortages, and they can save time just dropping them off the service elevator.

On 9/11/2022 at 5:01 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We wait until the cabins are ready.....unless we're on Celebrity.....who allow you to drop off your bags in the cabin prior to them being ready. We don't go all over the ship until AFTER cabins are available and we're unpacked. 

Yuck. I'm ready to start exploring as soon as I'm on the ship. To each their own.

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

I wish I could remember being a newbie. 

Yeah, it's been ingrained in me that if someone handles my luggage, I tip.  

I have heard that they are doing this now.   Probably crew shortages, and they can save time just dropping them off the service elevator.

This was happening before Covid.

Sometimes when I am walking down the hall around 2 or 3 P.M., I'll deliver bags to people's cabins!  

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, rudeney said:

Yeah, honestly, I only noticed two things "missing" from the previous service: 

- Luggage wasn't place at specific doors 

- No chocolates on our pillow at turn-down

I can live with those.  I was only miffed at the luggage being left down the hall because I didn't know to expect it.  

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, honestly, I only noticed two things "missing" from the previous service: 

- Luggage wasn't place at specific doors 

- No chocolates on our pillow at turn-down

I can live with those.  I was only miffed at the luggage being left down the hall because I didn't know to expect it.  

Chocolates during the evening turn down service stopped years ago. 

Edited by davekathy

Hi OP,

I'm guessing you haven't cruised before. I would strongly suggest you leave your suitcase shore-side and only carry on what you need until you get your suitcase back. It's really busy on deck/in the buffet until people get their cabins.

The "porters" don't need tipping (there are signs up), but do as you prefer. The person bringing you suitcase to your cabin is probably a waiter, though.

There are people who bring the bags to your floor, then others who deliver them to your cabin, so you might find your suitcase in a group close to the elevators.

You will not be able to get close to guest services. It's crazy just after boarding.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well said. Unfortunately, there are some sarcastic remarks to the OP. Just because some people know how things work not everyone does.

• Like 2