dropping bags off at Guest Services

jkx

2 hours ago, Belgian fry said:

I'm guessing you haven't cruised before.

If you look at his/her profile,  it shows they have cruised multiple times on RCL before, so they have “been there, done that” long enough to know the answer before they asked the question.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If I see my luggage on the was to my stateroom, I just grab it and roll on down the hall.  If I don't see it outside of the room, I just scope the hall around the elevators.  I usually find it.  Less work for the staff on turnaround days.

I doubt it’s the avoiding tips to the porter that make people not want to check their bags. I’m so traumatized by all those flyers we’d get in our cabins looking for missing luggage, particularly on Carnival, that we’ve learned to pack light. As in a airline size carry on roller suitcase each and a big purse for me and we bring our stuff on board with us. It’s not that hard to find a spot to hang out, usually out on deck and have drinks and munchies there until the cabins open. It’s definitely given me peace of mind knowing that my suitcase will not be featured in the weekly flyer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcgore83 said:

If I see my luggage on the was to my stateroom, I just grab it and roll on down the hall.  If I don't see it outside of the room, I just scope the hall around the elevators.  I usually find it.  Less work for the staff on turnaround days.

When heading to our cabin if we happen to see ours near the elevators we just grab it.  We've also found our luggage way down the hallway a couple of times, especially this last year.  As in, 100 feet away.  

34 minutes ago, BND said:

When heading to our cabin if we happen to see ours near the elevators we just grab it.  We've also found our luggage way down the hallway a couple of times, especially this last year.  As in, 100 feet away.  

When we get into our cabin, DW takes a nap and I take a walk down the hallway to find our luggage.😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2022 at 1:18 PM, vegascruiser1 said:

I am going to say no, because they would not the able to accommodate everyone that brings their luggage on. Also they would not want to be responsible for it.  You will have to have bring your luggage with you until the staterooms are ready. 

We always go in our cabin's hallway and ask whoever is on our way whether we may put our luggage in our cabin and leave right away.  The only 1 time from all (like 40) the answer was "No".  We typically spend 10-15 min on the embarkation day in the buffet; then time is to explore the ship right away for a few hours and enjoy sipping champagne around it before the safety drill.  So, luggage-free procedure drastically accommodates that activity.

7 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

I think the OP is just trying to see how much mileage a ridiculous question could get. You don't hang on CC since 2005 without cruising. 

In another thread, the OP said his/her last cruise was in Dec. 2021.  Unless the question is just some sort of totally crazy, off-the-wall thing (like "Can I bring my pet tiger?") I tend to take the post at face value and assume the person asking truly does not know the answer and is looking for help.  As someone else mentioned, hotels will store luggage for you, so it seems reasonable that one might might correlate that to Guest Services on a ship.  And even though the OP has been on at least one other cruise, maybe this is something that person just recently considered to be a possibility.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rudeney said:

In another thread, the OP said his/her last cruise was in Dec. 2021.  Unless the question is just some sort of totally crazy, off-the-wall thing (like "Can I bring my pet tiger?") I tend to take the post at face value and assume the person asking truly does not know the answer and is looking for help.  As someone else mentioned, hotels will store luggage for you, so it seems reasonable that one might might correlate that to Guest Services on a ship.  And even though the OP has been on at least one other cruise, maybe this is something that person just recently considered to be a possibility.  

del

Edited by bucfan2

3 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

No, you didn't.  That was another poster I had responded to...my bad.  Thanks for the catch.

I tend to read through threads quickly and sometimes miss who posted what.  On this one, I had creeped on the OP's other posts looking for prior cruise experience.  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 3:58 PM, pcur said:

Urban myth about longshoremen salaries.  Salary.com says:

The average Longshoreman salary in Florida is $55,669 as of August 29, 2022

There are regions where the salary is much higher, so not always a myth  😀

Mar 1, 2015About half of West Coast union longshoremen make more than $100,000 a year — some much more, according to shipping industry data. More than half ...

16 hours ago, mpk said:

There are regions where the salary is much higher, so not always a myth  😀

Mar 1, 2015About half of West Coast union longshoremen make more than $100,000 a year — some much more, according to shipping industry data. More than half ...

West Coast:  aka Seattle, SF, Oakland, Los Angeles, San Diego are a whole different economic situation.  MUCH higher cost of living than FL, in my opinion.  The salary.com info I posted above is from 2022, also.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:32 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

The porters get their couple bucks per bag or your bag doesn't make it on to the ship. This is how it was explained to me by a porter on one of our first cruises anyway. To this day I can't tell if he was joking or not but I'm not willing to find out. 

The exact thing was said to me by porters- many times

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 2:18 PM, kirtihk said:

We always go in our cabin's hallway and ask whoever is on our way whether we may put our luggage in our cabin and leave right away.  The only 1 time from all (like 40) the answer was "No".  We typically spend 10-15 min on the embarkation day in the buffet; then time is to explore the ship right away for a few hours and enjoy sipping champagne around it before the safety drill.  So, luggage-free procedure drastically accommodates that activity.

But the doors to the hallways are always closed off, denying entrance.  How do you do this?

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

But the doors to the hallways are always closed off, denying entrance.  How do you do this?

Doors are closed, not locked. We try to get our carryon to the cabin as soon as we board, only get turned away if the supervisor is in the hall way. All cabin doors are fully opened, a quick turn into the cabin and put the carryons into the closet and out of the cabin in 30 seconds.  I have a 60 - 70 percent success rate. 

10 hours ago, pcur said:

West Coast:  aka Seattle, SF, Oakland, Los Angeles, San Diego are a whole different economic situation.  MUCH higher cost of living than FL, in my opinion.  The salary.com info I posted above is from 2022, also.

I know...  I was just pointing out that the "myth" of 100k salary actually is rooted in truth depending on region  😀    And my reference is from 2015.  If it was already 100k in 2015 for the west coast, imagine what it is today.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Doors are closed, not locked. We try to get our carryon to the cabin as soon as we board, only get turned away if the supervisor is in the hall way. All cabin doors are fully opened, a quick turn into the cabin and put the carryons into the closet and out of the cabin in 30 seconds.  I have a 60 - 70 percent success rate.

Exactly. Our % is 95-97%.

17 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

47 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Exactly. Our % is 95-97%.

Can you imagine what it would be like if all the passengers where as special and important and above the rules as the 2 of you? Wow. Entitled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2