dropping bags off at Guest Services

jkx

6 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Can you imagine what it would be like if all the passengers where as special and important and above the rules as the 2 of you? Wow. Entitled.

Having luggage hidden in a cabin's closet or under a bed has nothing to do with entitlement.  I noticed this term came in to play within last 2 years and used so much for not related items whatsoever.  Also, a bad culture has been developing during the same time frame (calling names, pointing fingers, reporting "law breakers").  I came from a country (in 1991) where all these insinuations were highly popular and encouraged with those in charge.  It's so sad, the same mentality occurs these days now here, too.

Voyage, voyage, everyone!!!

11 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Having luggage hidden in a cabin's closet or under a bed has nothing to do with entitlement.  I noticed this term came in to play within last 2 years and used so much for not related items whatsoever.  Also, a bad culture has been developing during the same time frame (calling names, pointing fingers, reporting "law breakers").  I came from a country (in 1991) where all these insinuations were highly popular and encouraged with those in charge.  It's so sad, the same mentality occurs these days now here, too.

It's not about putting it out of the way in the closet or something. It's the act of being in the hallway on your way to & from your cabin.

When the doors to the cabin halls are closed, the room staff is not attempting to make them passable in any way. They are piling linens and towels in the halls along with their carts and vacuums. They are trying to turn the rooms as fast as they can. Now they have to be concerned that you won't trip on anything and they have to be aware of where you are. People like you slow them down, and make their job more difficult. And with as litigious as people are these days, the last thing we all need is for someone like you to go into the halls when you are not supposed to and trip or get hurt in some fashion and sure the cruise line.

Again, sure if there's one one to two very important people doing this, it seems harmless, but if we are all this important and special, it will be chaos.

Think about the staff and your other passengers, not just yourself. That's "entitled"

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

And with as litigious as people are these days, the last thing we all need is for someone like you to go into the halls when you are not supposed to and trip or get hurt in some fashion and sure the cruise line.

It happened to me in May 2019 on day 8 during my 15-night Celebrity Edge Transatlantic cruise (no, not in a hallway on the embarkation day).  I tripped and broke my 5 ribs.  At that time I didn't know what exactly occurred to me.  It didn't cross my mind even to go the medical office on the ship.  I couldn't sleep, turn around, breath normally, sneeze, cough, laugh,...    And yet, for next 7 days I tried to continue a normal cruising (dancing, sauna, even running on the open deck, you know, a typical cruising routine for an active person).  Only when I came back I decided to check it (the urgent care), and that was when I learned what exactly happened (it healed for next 12 weeks just in time for my next Transpacific Alaska - Japan cruise) on Azamara in August.  Again, it didn't cross my mind to sue anyone!  Life is life!

Voyage, voyage...

8 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Again, it didn't cross my mind to sue anyone!  Life is life!

Ok, so just because you personally won't sue, then it's ok for you to break the rules. Got it. Royal Caribbean and the crew don't have any idea whether you are part of the (let's say) 10% of the population that won't try to get a payday out of their own misfortune of their own making.

It still doesn't negate the fact that just your presence in the hallway, when unexpected and unwanted, will have a negative impact on the crew's ability to do their job correctly and efficiently so that the rest of us can get to our cabins as soon as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

Things have taken a different tone over the past years, mostly due to social media.  I understand explaining the rules, and stating why a particular behavior is not a good idea or affects other people.  However, the shaming, name calling, and ridiculing is over the top.  Snark appears to be a necessary tactic among the brave keyboard warriors instead of just talking to people like human beings.

44 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Ok, so just because you personally won't sue, then it's ok for you to break the rules. Got it. Royal Caribbean and the crew don't have any idea whether you are part of the (let's say) 10% of the population that won't try to get a payday out of their own misfortune of their own making.

It still doesn't negate the fact that just your presence in the hallway, when unexpected and unwanted, will have a negative impact on the crew's ability to do their job correctly and efficiently so that the rest of us can get to our cabins as soon as possible.

Khe, khe...  I will try next time to walk around the ship (as I normally do) for a few hours with my luggage with thousands around me and check how many will have an "opportunity" to trip over my luggage being dragged behind me (luckily, we always pack extremely light even for over 2-week cruises), similar to how it happens all the tie in airports.  Then I will compare that probability with one of me tripping over wiring in the hallway during 30-second round-trip walk to my cabin.

Edited by kirtihk

31 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Things have taken a different tone over the past years, mostly due to social media.  I understand explaining the rules, and stating why a particular behavior is not a good idea or affects other people.  However, the shaming, name calling, and ridiculing is over the top.  Snark appears to be a necessary tactic among the brave keyboard warriors instead of just talking to people like human beings.

I like you picture - I even enlarged it to see some details.

2 hours ago, kirtihk said:

I like you picture - I even enlarged it to see some details.

Thanks but I can’t take credit, it came from a FB page honoring Karpathos.

ETA: I wish I had taken it, the goat seems friendly 🙂

Edited by vjmatty

19 hours ago, mpk said:

I know...  I was just pointing out that the "myth" of 100k salary actually is rooted in truth depending on region  😀    And my reference is from 2015.  If it was already 100k in 2015 for the west coast, imagine what it is today.

Boggles the mind..................

Edited by pcur

On 9/11/2022 at 8:53 AM, wolfcathorse said:

If you are in a Grand Suite you can leave them in the Suite Lounge. We've done that, the concierge assured us they'd be safe as there are cameras in there. Left it behind his desk

How would you get in the Suite Lounge without a key card on non Oasis class ships? Your key to access the SL is on your door. For Oasis class I have found the concierge to be at desk or access through CK. Other ships, I have personally never seen a concierge at their desk on boarding day.

On 9/13/2022 at 4:09 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, honestly, I only noticed two things "missing" from the previous service: 

- Luggage wasn't place at specific doors 

- No chocolates on our pillow at turn-down

I can live with those.  I was only miffed at the luggage being left down the hall because I didn't know to expect it.  

Just off Navigator a couple weeks ago. Lugguage was at our cabin door by 3pm. Seems like the bring up carts of lugguage and stack them by service elevator. Then when they have a bunch of lugguage it gets brought to cabin doors.

Luggages may also be delivered late, if they see or find something suspicious inside your lugggage.

* Happened to us recently. It was almost 6pm when I called guest services about my luggage. They informed me that Security will be delivering it. Had no clue why.

Security said they confiscated an "illegal elsctrical" device inside my luggage. Dumbfounded, I thought...what could it be? After they told me, my wife said: "Oh! I put that in your luggage...been bringing it for years". :classic_blink:

* An immersion heater, used to heat up small cups of water or otther liquids. Size: see attached photo...teaspoon used as reference. It was returned at the end of our cruise.

* The night before disembarkation, Security instructed me to put it inside my luggage...while observing it...they told me to close the luggage, lock it...then hauled it away...they said: "You can pick up your luggage tomorrow in the terminal".

20220920_005556.jpg

9 hours ago, frank808 said:

How would you get in the Suite Lounge without a key card on non Oasis class ships? Your key to access the SL is on your door. For Oasis class I have found the concierge to be at desk or access through CK. Other ships, I have personally never seen a concierge at their desk on boarding day.

That is a good question, although I have occasionally seen the concierge on boarding day on Freedom and Voyager class ships.  But without a SeaPass card, I guess you can't get into the SL unless the concierge is there.  

On 9/19/2022 at 11:21 PM, frank808 said:

On 9/20/2022 at 8:52 AM, rudeney said:

That is a good question, although I have occasionally seen the concierge on boarding day on Freedom and Voyager class ships.  But without a SeaPass card, I guess you can't get into the SL unless the concierge is there.  

On Both Harmony and Symphony we just knocked on the door... 
Was nice to have lunch in CK on boarding day!! 

On 9/19/2022 at 1:14 PM, RobInMN said:

It's not about putting it out of the way in the closet or something. It's the act of being in the hallway on your way to & from your cabin.

When the doors to the cabin halls are closed, the room staff is not attempting to make them passable in any way. They are piling linens and towels in the halls along with their carts and vacuums. They are trying to turn the rooms as fast as they can. Now they have to be concerned that you won't trip on anything and they have to be aware of where you are. People like you slow them down, and make their job more difficult. And with as litigious as people are these days, the last thing we all need is for someone like you to go into the halls when you are not supposed to and trip or get hurt in some fashion and sure the cruise line.

Again, sure if there's one one to two very important people doing this, it seems harmless, but if we are all this important and special, it will be chaos.

Think about the staff and your other passengers, not just yourself. That's "entitled"

Yes, the ship announces that rooms will be available at X:00 -- opening those doors and going where you know you aren't supposed to be is not a victimless crime:  it's making the cabin stewards' work harder -- on their hardest day of the week.  It disrupts them, slows them down, and that means everyone waits a little longer for their rooms.  

It also puts the cabin steward in a bad position, as they're not supposed to be confrontational in any way towards passengers.  

I don't really buy into the falling /lawsuit idea, but everyone should follow the rules!  

On 9/19/2022 at 2:39 PM, kirtihk said:

Khe, khe...  I will try next time to walk around the ship (as I normally do) for a few hours with my luggage with thousands around me and check how many will have an "opportunity" to trip over my luggage being dragged behind me (luckily, we always pack extremely light even for over 2-week cruises), similar to how it happens all the tie in airports.  Then I will compare that probability with one of me tripping over wiring in the hallway during 30-second round-trip walk to my cabin.

1.  The "dragging your luggage" things is an attempt to deflect from your bad choices. 

2.  No way you're entering the hallway, locating your cabin, dropping off your stuff and getting back down the hall in 30 seconds.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

On Both Harmony and Symphony we just knocked on the door... 
Was nice to have lunch in CK on boarding day!! 

I mentioned that it was easy to get into SL on Oasis class as one of the concierges are there or go through CK. It is hard to get into SL on non Oasis class ships as your seapass is on the cabin door. Not like in years past when you would get your seapass at terminal.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 11:54 AM, kirtihk said:

entitled adjective 1 : having a right to certain benefits or privileges [Example:] After having saved the country, ain't they entitled to help themselves to just as much of it as they want? — Mark Twain 2 : having or showing a feeling of entitlement (see entitlement sense 2 ["belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges"]) [Example:] spoiled, entitled children | his entitled attitude/behavior | leading an entitled life | We are also the so-called entitled generation, … told by helicopter parents and the media, from the moment we exited the womb, that we could be "whatever we wanted" … — Jessica Bennett

First Known Use of entitled: 1817, in the meaning defined at sense 1”

Merriam-Webster. Mark Twain was around a long time ago.  This term has been around a long time - usually attributed to rich (kids) who have done nothing to earn them the respect they expect - or the right to break rules and not receive punishment nor negative consequences. 

And asking if one can go around the “rules” or social norms set out would be exactly a situation where I would expect to hear the word “entitled” uttered.  It is the concept of fairplay and equality that is being flaunted - “The rules don’t apply to me.”  What happens when everyone thinks they should be able to go into the closed off hallway? 

So, yes, by not being willing to follow directions (which are not designed to hurt anyone), that guest is acting in a way that implies an entitled mentality.  

Not said to make you feel bad.  But I have heard the term, “entitled,” for a very long time.  It just happens to be used to describe a lot more people and demographics now.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:25 AM, mpk said:

I know...  I was just pointing out that the "myth" of 100k salary actually is rooted in truth depending on region  😀    And my reference is from 2015.  If it was already 100k in 2015 for the west coast, imagine what it is today.

If you include tips they receive for luggage, they can easily make 100K and more, even in FL.  How much do you think 100K in 2015 would be today?  I looked it up, it's about  110-125K depending on the site, not out of the realm of possibility at all.  Even in Baltimore, where these guys are only loading luggage a couple of times a week for ships that have less than 3000 passengers each, they can make a lot.   For example, you can figure they are working twice a week or so on average loading the two ships there.  Say, only 2000 of the passengers on each ship use them for luggage and each only has one bag and tips $1/bag.  And, that's being conservative.  We usually tip $5 for 2 or 3 bags.   Just a quick calculation shows that would be around 35K in tips alone if you figure there are 6 longshoremen working.  There's usually 3 or 4 at the main drop off for people parking and another 2 or so at  the drop off for everyone else (bus, taxi, car service).  Now, in FL, I'm sure they all work 3 or more days on average doing luggage for larger cruise ships.  Also, remember, reporting tips on taxes is up to the individual...

Edited by BND

2 hours ago, joeyancho said:

You ouija board needs a tune up

That was way back on the 11th when the Steeler's were sneaking by Cincy. Since then my Ouija board has been saying "bet the Bills". I've got more bills by betting on the Bills! So the board is still running just fine. 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frank808 said:

I mentioned that it was easy to get into SL on Oasis class as one of the concierges are there or go through CK. It is hard to get into SL on non Oasis class ships as your seapass is on the cabin door. Not like in years past when you would get your seapass at terminal.

I have never had the desire to go into a DL. SL or CL on a non Oasis Class ship on boarding day... 
I am not sure if there would be someone there or not. 

On 9/11/2022 at 1:10 PM, jkx said:

If I want to carry my suitcase through the terminal and skip the porters, can I go in the ship and drop them off at Guest Services until the room is ready? I am sailing with Oasis

The lines at Guest Services are very long on embarkation day.  By time you get to the counter, the cabins will be ready.

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2022 at 5:54 AM, DirtyDawg said:

That was way back on the 11th when the Steeler's were sneaking by Cincy. Since then my Ouija board has been saying "bet the Bills". I've got more bills by betting on the Bills! So the board is still running just fine. 😁

Miami 21, Bills 19 today. 😱

The appointment with the Ouija board mechanic has been set up for Tuesday morning.