Yacht Club private island....SANDY BEACH :O) also some restaurant info

Shippy

I had read so much about how rocky the beach was on Ocean Cay that I brought beach shoes & was prepared to walk awhile to get to another beach.

The YC area is quite a ways from the dock. They have a golf cart like vehicle that takes you out there & back. 

It drops you in front of the YC restaurant.

I looked over & it was indeed rocky. I would actually say small boulders !

BUT, lucky for us, we walked around to the other side of the restaurant. Totally sandy beach & yc guy there to give you towels. You could also walk a ways out in the water and it was not to deep.

It was wonderful. We spoke to some other passengers when we got back & they were on the rocky side & had no idea the other existed !

Also, the restaurant,

Everyone speaks very highly of the lobsters rolls there but I decided to try a burger & fries...excellent.

There is lots of outdoor seating, under trees or on the porch with overhead fans.

I needed a bit more air conditioning so went inside.  There are ONLY 2 tables in there ! Luckily one was open. There is also a small couch and coffee table which another couple promptly took.

I was very comfortable inside but there is a bit of noise from the blenders as they make a lot of tropical drinks.

Thanks for the update.  When you say the other side of the restaurant, do you mean past the TC Kitchen/shed, or the beach area across from the Restaurant (beyond the Porta-pottys)?  We found that beach area quite smooth, but no chaises or umbrellas, though.

Just walk around the restaurant where they leave you off.

You can't miss it. YC tent guy with towels. Lots of chaise lounges & umbrellas.

To JAGR...do not know what the TC kitchen/shed is and we never ventured to the porta pottys. There was a bathroom at the restaurant.

15 minutes ago, Shippy said:

o.k. let’s say you walk to the right side of the restaurant.. that is Ocean House Beach, the designated beach for Yacht Club passengers.

Lounge Chairs, Umbrellas and Cabanas, towels provided by YC staff. Bar/Drink service available.

This is the beach with the large stones & crushed corals when you go into the water.. often described as “rocky”.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Thanks for the update.  When you say the other side of the restaurant, do you mean past the TC Kitchen/shed, or the beach area across from the Restaurant (beyond the Porta-pottys)?  We found that beach area quite smooth, but no chaises or umbrellas, though.

We loved that beach as well.  The water and sand there was great.  

36 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

o.k. let’s say you walk to the right side of the restaurant.. that is Ocean House Beach, the designated beach for Yacht Club passengers.

Lounge Chairs, Umbrellas and Cabanas, towels provided by YC staff. Bar/Drink service available.

This is the beach with the large stones & crushed corals when you go into the water.. often described as “rocky”.

When you are on that beach.....just follow the shore to the right. NO large stones. Really not even small rocks.

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

To JAGR...do not know what the TC kitchen/shed is and we never ventured to the porta pottys. There was a bathroom at the restaurant.

Trying to get my bearings.  As you face the restaurant, the designated YC is on the right.  To the left are the outdoor chairs and tables and then further to the left is a building that is the YC kitchen and storage area.  Again, facing the building, directly behind you is the porta potties to supplement the one toilet in the restaurant.  Also directly behind is the open beach.

It sounds, though, like you are talking about further down the YC beach area toward the ship.

17 minutes ago, Shippy said:

When you are on that beach.....just follow the shore to the right. NO large stones. Really not even small rocks.

Left side of Ocean House Beach (YC beach)

98051F6A-9A65-4E76-B8E1-B0E4479D2938.thumb.jpeg.4f75107e81e5fe62e5dd915b4d90dd4e.jpeg

Right side of Ocean House Beach (YC beach)

BEEE6A05-A415-41FC-985F-B0B99E84068E.thumb.jpeg.e473091d0e871a11a7c005fc13bf8fbd.jpeg

Crushed corals, shells and stones..

not easy to walk on..

beach shoes recommended.

( Photos taken on 12-24-2021 )

Edited by SirWolf

1 hour ago, SirWolf said:

Left side of Ocean House Beach (YC beach)

98051F6A-9A65-4E76-B8E1-B0E4479D2938.thumb.jpeg.4f75107e81e5fe62e5dd915b4d90dd4e.jpeg

Right side of Ocean House Beach (YC beach)

BEEE6A05-A415-41FC-985F-B0B99E84068E.thumb.jpeg.e473091d0e871a11a7c005fc13bf8fbd.jpeg

Crushed corals, shells and stones..

not easy to walk on..

beach shoes recommended.

( Photos taken on 12-24-2021 )

Sorry I cannot explain better.

See where those rocks go up high ? you must go past that to the other side. IF YOU JUST GO AROUND TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RESTAURANT, you can easily accomplish that. !

Probably why so many vacant loungers there !

The beach and rocks to the left side (facing) of YC Ocean House is not open to bathers. If the lifeguards on jet skis see you there they will tell you to get back. This includes the rocks that border the ocean front (not beach front) cabanas on YC area. The only water access for the YC area is the actual YC BEACH, to the right of Ocean House.

Dennis

2 hours ago, Shippy said:

Sorry I cannot explain better.

See where those rocks go up high ? you must go past that to the other side. IF YOU JUST GO AROUND TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RESTAURANT, you can easily accomplish that. !

Probably why so many vacant loungers there !

There is no beach or ocean access on the other side (left side) of Ocean House.. only big boulders..

4AB2D7E7-6C6A-4B5F-A855-052345AF6B8D.thumb.jpeg.7a2e3dacdb0c9f0d73ab892f112fc3dd.jpeg

835BB4B6-F3B0-48A6-9FF6-577A522A68DE.thumb.jpeg.ba876a67a52300fa87f0f1c3a4dcb04a.jpeg

D43F117F-F109-4AB0-B755-5DC348D60532.thumb.jpeg.7c28f079428ba8cceef6b02544629e0b.jpeg

4EC393BC-5E85-4FE7-9896-008D6B680945.thumb.jpeg.4075c65988604adb9da54f968dc476ff.jpeg

When we were there, there were cabanas and sparse occupancy.

It is area to left of YC restaurant. I am including pics we took when we explored that beach area.

This was taken outside the back of the YC Ocean house restaurant. The blue building is where they cook the food. We walked to the left, past the rocky area. Found that beautiful beach. Note cabanas on left of beach picture. This was November 2021, low occupancy. Cabanas not occupied.

A9228157-181B-44A4-97AF-13FEFE7783B4.jpeg

8BAB6977-76AA-47C5-91B3-100E13E33CAC.jpeg

B5261836-1568-437E-A0AC-E3832973F824.jpeg

Edited by phissy

Must have just been created then because we were there  last Friday.

BUT i am assuming Ocean House is the name of the restaurant where they leave you off  (?)

I do not recall the name of the restaurant only that we got of the cart there, walked 5 minutes to the beach & then 5 minutes back up to have lunch & catch the cart back to the ship.

There were lots of loungers & I walked from my lounger, across the sand....no rocks...into the water.

We never had to step over any rocks to get there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Must have just been created then because we were there  last Friday.

BUT i am assuming Ocean House is the name of the restaurant where they leave you off  (?)

I do not recall the name of the restaurant only that we got of the cart there, walked 5 minutes to the beach & then 5 minutes back up to have lunch & catch the cart back to the ship.

There were lots of loungers & I walked from my lounger, across the sand....no rocks...into the water.

We never had to step over any rocks to get there.

They may have done a renovation of that beach. I noticed 5 large piles of sands across the bay in “back”.  YC Director, Robbie, drove us back to ship. I asked what the plan was for the sand. He said it was for renovation of the beaches.  This was November 2021.
When we were there, it looked just like SirWolf pics. I walked along beach and collected glass from broken bottles and gave it to lifeguard. 

11 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Maybe the area you are describing is Bimini Beach.. a public beach.. not exclusively for YC guests.

Ocean House is the Yacht Club Restaurant on Ocean Cay.

Ocean House Beach is the Yacht Club Beach on Ocean Cay.

41B04643-D587-41A2-8504-770BAAF06F8C.thumb.jpeg.c3d28efa7492911425248c071fca97ca.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SirWolf said:

Maybe the area you are describing is Bimini Beach.. a public beach.. not exclusively for YC guests.

Ocean House is the Yacht Club Restaurant on Ocean Cay.

Ocean House Beach is the Yacht Club Beach on Ocean Cay.

41B04643-D587-41A2-8504-770BAAF06F8C.thumb.jpeg.c3d28efa7492911425248c071fca97ca.jpeg

That would make sense EXCEPT we used the YC transportation to get to the YC restaurant for a 5 minute walk to a sandy beach with lots of lounges AND a small yacht club tent where we got towels.

Afterwards we ate at the YC restaurant and took the YC transportation back to the ship !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shippy said:

That would make sense EXCEPT we used the YC transportation to get to the YC restaurant for a 5 minute walk to a sandy beach with lots of lounges AND a small yacht club tent where we got towels.

Afterwards we ate at the YC restaurant and took the YC transportation back to the ship !

Then you must have gone to Ocean House Beach. It is clearly noted as to the right of Ocean House as number 6.  That is the YC Beach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

We will be there in 20 days....so will report back on current condition of beach. Sounds like a major improvement .

16 hours ago, Shippy said:

Sitting here at Ocean Cay right now and I'M CONFUSED by this thread 🙂....We were at the YC beach yesterday and our boulder/rock buddies were exactly where they always are... 🙂Not sure where the "other side" is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1