Items cut from sea day brunch

Drew B 58

3 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

But that's not happening now, is it? :classic_wink:

No, not now.  But I don't see it very far off with the way Carnival has been trying to cut its food cost lately... shortened hours, smaller portions, cheaper cuts of meat, closed stations, more items with upcharges, complimentary room service only for continental breakfast...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

No, not now.  But I don't see it very far off with the way Carnival has been trying to cut its food cost lately... shortened hours, smaller portions, cheaper cuts of meat, closed stations, more items with upcharges, complimentary room service only for continental breakfast...

All cruise lines are in a recovery mode from the covid shut down. It will take a few years to recover from the devastating financial toll it took on them, but I'm confident the strongest lines will  recover. It's just a matter of time, and time will tell. Have faith, my friend. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I tried it once after the old George Lopez inspired menu went away.  I found it really dry, to the point of being almost inedible.  Apparently they forgot to soak mine for 12 (or even 2) hours.

My mom had the 12 hour French toast on Legend last December and gave it a very poor report as you did. 

15 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

You can use the coupon without eating brunch. Just stand at/near the front of the MDR and stop one of the bar waiters working brunch to order your drink.

Was so much easier years ago when you could get your drink at the bloody Mary cart before you had your brunch and listened to the comedian do his 10 minute set of G rated comedy.

2 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Anybody know why it's still called sea day brunch?  It should be called sea day breakfast since it now stops at 1159 am.  Brunch implies that it rolls over into lunch time hours.  

Probably because it still has lunch (i.e., not traditionally breakfast) menu items.

I also would not order the 12h French Toast again.  My opinion is it would be better if served traditionally instead of trying to make the slice of bread massive.  

It is disappointing that the menu has definitely been downgraded.  I had already swore off steak and eggs on our prior cruise after two poor strip loins in a row.  Some of them are decent and some are terrible because they are tough and full of gristle.  It is simply not worth the chance anymore.  That dish when served with the filet was something I basically ordered every sea day, dozens of times over the years.  It was my favorite and I am sad to see them destroy it.

• Like 2

I just noticed they also did away with the Frittata😩

At least the Banana cream pie and seven layer chocolate cake is still there. We usually share one and take one to go, put it in the refrigerator, and have it in the afternoon with a cup of coffee!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, funinthesun1964 said:

So, out of the two burgers now offered, which one should I try? I realize I now need to be there by 11:30 to have lunch.  I'm a little irritated that they cut out the extra hour. Don't understand what benefit Carnival would gain by cutting an hour.

Having to staff the MDR for full table service and the galley one less hour.  Sending people to the already crowded Lido deck for an hour of possibly cheaper food, although with the recent cuts I'm not sure whether brunch or Lido food is cheaper for Carnival.

46 minutes ago, funinthesun1964 said:

So, out of the two burgers now offered, which one should I try? I realize I now need to be there by 11:30 to have lunch.  I'm a little irritated that they cut out the extra hour. Don't understand what benefit Carnival would gain by cutting an hour.

3 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Having to staff the MDR for full table service and the galley one less hour.  Sending people to the already crowded Lido deck for an hour of possibly cheaper food, although with the recent cuts I'm not sure whether brunch or Lido food is cheaper for Carnival.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's more about the staffing than the food costs.  A way of making use of less crew members during that hour to prepare / serve food.  One less food venue (in a location distant from Lido) open for that one hour, so they are able to cut down on the amount of crew to feed same amount of PAX, since all PAX who want food are forced to Lido, Specialty (if open), or Room Service during that hour.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

So what do these employees do if not working in the MDR or the galley? I'm sure they are paid by the contract and not hourly.  

3 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Probably Lido or Specialty Restaurants that are open for lunch.

I guess that is probably it, since Lido is often busiest (probably) from 12-2 for lunch. I've been hearing that lines are longer on Lido during peak times due to stations being closed.  Has anyone heard that this will be a temporary change due to staffing issues or more of a permanent change (regarding MDR closing at noon)?

Edited by funinthesun1964
  • Like 1

Just now, funinthesun1964 said:

I guess that is probably it, since Lido is often busiest (probably) from 12-2 for lunch. I've been hearing that lines are longer on Lido during peak times due to stations being closed.  Has anyone heard that this will be a temporary change due to staffing issues or more of a permanent change?

I have not heard one way or the other.  But my guess is, once that hour is shaved off MDR Brunch, it's not going to be coming back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

I have not heard one way or the other.  But my guess is, once that hour is shaved off MDR Brunch, it's not going to be coming back.

Well, if that's the case, they probably will eventually cut the burgers, desserts, and other lunch items being served and just have breakfast instead of brunch.  

• Like 2