Easing of Canadian entry requirement expected by the end of September.

GeorgeCharlie

49 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That certainly wouldn't be the first time I've been in error. Thanks for pointing to another possibility.

For clarity;  are you sure that your cruise does not stop at any destination requiring pre-testing? Cruise ships have been requiring testing IF any country on the itinerary requires testing (not just embarkation and debarkation ports). Example, does your cruise stop in Bermuda (or currently Canada) which are some of the very last destinations with any protocols left at all?

Another possible reason is that Spain DOES require pre-testing for anyone without a vaccination. So maybe that plays into your itineraries unique requirement?

Also, some cruise lines have required testing for trans-ocean cruises presumably  because passengers are spending so much time away from access to advanced health care.  A unique itinerary with unique protocols. 

I would never argue that cruise lines CAN still require testing if they deem it necessary, but I think it's important to point out that they have NOT deemed it necessary in 99% of itineraries sailing.

I suspect cruise ship requirements for Canada will fall in line with the 99% but time will tell.

Nope - none of the places we visit require testing.  The ship is sailing with only fully vaccinated and boosted under the enhanced protocols so there are no unvaccinated on board.

It’s HAL’s requirement - not any place we are visiting and trust me, I and our roll call have been keeping a sharp eye on all requirements for Spain, Portugal and the United States 😉 

If the reason is that we are so “long away from advanced health care” then testing should be before we get to our last port rather than 7 days earlier before we are at sea.  JMO though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Last I checked, all HAL itineraries have test requirements for un-vax passengers, though they have eased the age requirements for children.

In addition, many itineraries will have enhanced protocols...

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions.html

Moreover, as others have pointed out, Canada is not the only country with some form of restriction on vax and un-vax pax!

Thanks for sharing. It is true that HAL is one of the few lines that still require vaccination. I was speaking from a more global perspective of the industry as a whole.

Only time will tell if Canada is included in the countries requiring advanced protocols. 

I don't understand why many of you are telling people who said they were told they had to have a PCR (not antigen) test pre-cruise to have an antigen test instead.  These tests are not the same.  Who are you to know that the antigen test is acceptable, let alone advise someone to get another type of pre-cruise test.   If the cruise line is telling you PCR, I'd pay attention to what you are told in writing.

This PCR test may be required by the cruise line because of a long, international cruise before they embark, and from Australia.  A lot depends on specifics involved for the cruiser.

Edited by 12cruise2

I've wondered a couple times if I should delete the ArriveCan app from my devices, does anybody think Canada will continue to utilize this in order to streamline the non-covid part of the process?  These apps take up a lot of storage on a couple of my devices limited to 64 GBS of space.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I've wondered a couple times if I should delete the ArriveCan app from my devices, does anybody think Canada will continue to utilize this in order to streamline the non-covid part of the process?  These apps take up a lot of storage on a couple of my devices limited to 64 GBS of space.

I read recently that the intent of ArriveCan was for customs declarations (instead of those sheets of paper handed out on cruises/flights), and that it was co-opted to try to streamline COVID intake. I believe it would continue to be optional, but can be handy for those who both travel regularly and don't carry a pen with them 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Edited for clarity.

There is no expectation that ArriveCAN will be discontinued. It's use may become optional and functionality may change.

If your data plan is sufficiently generous or you have WiFi you can use the online version rather than the app. It can email a QR code. See https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html.

ArriveCAN is operated by CBSA. The authority for mandating it's use is derived from an Order in Council addressing COVID issues that expires at the end of September. The speculation is that the order will not be renewed.

Pre cruise testing and vaccination requirements are mandated in a Transport Canada ship safety bulletin. I have seen no reporting on the possible cancelling or amending of that bulletin.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

I don't understand why many of you are telling people who said they were told they had to have a PCR (not antigen) test pre-cruise to have an antigen test instead.  These tests are not the same.  Who are you to know that the antigen test is acceptable, let alone advise someone to get another type of pre-cruise test.   If the cruise line is telling you PCR, I'd pay attention to what you are told in writing.

This PCR test may be required by the cruise line because of a long, international cruise before they embark, and from Australia.  A lot depends on specifics involved for the cruiser.

Because HAL does allow either test and one is much quicker than the other and potentially cheaper too.  Remember we are discussing Canada 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Edited for clarity.

I got rid of mine.  Your information is stored in your account in the cloud not on the app.  You can always re-install the app and sign in 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Edited for clarity.

Just throwing it out there.....don't mean to offend anyone.  I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I refuse to download any foreign government's apps onto any of my devices.  I realize its Canada, not China, but anyone who has ever worked in an intel community will give the same advice.  Again, just throwing it out there.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Aquahound said:

Just throwing it out there.....don't mean to offend anyone.  I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I refuse to download any foreign government's apps onto any of my devices.  I realize its Canada, not China, but anyone who has ever worked in an intel community will give the same advice.  Again, just throwing it out there.  

I assume you didn’t go to Canada then? Or you used the website, not a lot of security difference

Edited by Mary229

Just now, Aquahound said:

You can complete ArriveCan on their website.  And yes, I have been to Canada 4 times during this mess.  

I added some more to my answer.  The difference between putting it on their website and having the app is negligible.  The information is there.  

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I added some more to my answer.  The difference between putting it on their website and having the app is negligible.  The information is there.  

Agree, the app is absolutely not needed. All you have to do is enter the info required, and print the receipt/approval.

Just now, Mary229 said:

A website doesn't have access to your device like a downloaded app. 

If you're ok with it, that's fine.  Like I said, I was just throwing it out there.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

A website doesn't have access to your device like a downloaded app. 

If you're ok with it, that's fine.  Like I said, I was just throwing it out there.  

Not to belabor it too much - Either way works as long as the observer to this conversation understands they will have to complete the information ahead of time and have their receipt. 

50 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Because HAL does allow either test and one is much quicker than the other and potentially cheaper too.  Remember we are discussing Canada 

Absolutely!  For most cruises an antigen is more than fine.  I don't think anyone would be so dumb to think if the cruise line asked for a PCR you can go with an antigen.  You'd have to be pretty dense.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 7:13 AM, kazu said:

Respectfully disagree - you are in error.  Testing is required on our cruise embarking in Spain.  Spain does not require testing to enter.  The “reason” is that it’s a trans ocean cruise however neither the country we embark in nor the country we disembark in require testing.

So the cruise line can still require testing if they deem it necessary.

Based on what I'm reading, HAL no longer requires testing for your cruise. 

It seems HAL has reduced many of the testing requirements yet again. 

Am I reading this incorrectly?

Am I still in error? 

Just curious 🙂 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Based on what I'm reading, HAL no longer requires testing for your cruise. 

It seems HAL has reduced many of the testing requirements yet again. 

Am I reading this incorrectly?

Am I still in error? 

Just curious 🙂 

That’s what our roll call is trying to figure out.  There doesn’t seem to be a listing of cruises any longer with the enhanced protocols.  Instead you fill in a form with your booking # and get the requirements.

When we do it, it shows the simplified process but if you do it by voyage # they don’t have the protocols available yet and you need to check back.  Very confusing.

I hope we don’t have to test but what we see is so different from what it was that I am a bit of a Doubting Thomas.  I’ll just wait and watch, I guess. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

That’s what our roll call is trying to figure out.  There doesn’t seem to be a listing of cruises any longer with the enhanced protocols.  Instead you fill in a form with your booking # and get the requirements.

When we do it, it shows the simplified process but if you do it by voyage # they don’t have the protocols available yet and you need to check back.  Very confusing.

I hope we don’t have to test but what we see is so different from what it was that I am a bit of a Doubting Thomas.  I’ll just wait and watch, I guess. 😉 

Thanks for the reply.

Based on what I've read, It seems to me that HAL has removed additional protocols (I'll see if I can find any additional information in the financial  news). It's terrible that you are getting mixed messages. 

I do give cruise lines a bit of slack because of the fluid nature of all the protocols changing, BUT it does seem like they could do a significantly better job sending clear, concise information. No reason for it to be this confusing for passengers. 

I hope you get a definitive answer soon. Of course, then it could change yet again with the fall flu season.

Best to you! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Not offending at all.  Because I did think about it.  Someone on the Princess forum mentioned deleting the ship apps off your phone in between trips as well, the Princess one in particular is huge, it eats up over a gig of memory and they monitor things supposedly that they don't need to know. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I got rid of mine.  Your information is stored in your account in the cloud not on the app.  You can always re-install the app and sign in 

Exactly!  I forgot to throw that in for my response to Aquahound, we won't be cruising for awhile and it's unlikely the app will be using the same version, I'd have to start all over again anyway.

Looks like it's a done deal :). No Vaccination, No random Testing, and no mandatory ArriveCan to enter Canada starting September 30th. 

image.png.5f56f8bc8100c42c0fcf7900838eb0e3.png

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-lifting-pandemic-border-measures-1.6591883

Cruise lines will need to update their policies, but I don't see any reason they will have additional measures just for Canada travel. Bermuda is next 😉 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Looks like it's a done deal :). No Vaccination, No random Testing, and no mandatory ArriveCan to enter Canada starting September 30th. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-lifting-pandemic-border-measures-1.6591883

Cruise lines will need to update their policies, but I don't see any reason they will have additional measures just for Canada travel. Bermuda is next 😉 

Disregard.........Headline got me..... still waiting on official signature. 

26 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

As mentioned in the other thread, it ain’t over till the cruise ship requirements are dropped as well.  Sorry.

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

As mentioned in the other thread, it ain’t over till the cruise ship requirements are dropped as well.  Sorry.

No need to apologize. I think we are all just sharing information as it becomes available. 

On a side note: I'll bet the farm this goes thru and HAL removes all additional requirements for cruises to Canada. But like you said, we must wait patiently to see how it all plays out.