QE Self Service Laundry

LB_NJ

13 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

While I don't relish doing my own laundry sometimes it is useful if the ship has a self-service laundry like the QM2.  Does the QE have a self-service laundry?

yes, several, on various floors. I used the one on Deck 8 and found that early evening was a good time to go. We were on late dinner and I tended to put a load in, hav a shower, put it in the dryer, change, rescue the laundry and then up to the Commodore Club for a pre-dinner cocktail! 

• Like 1

Having been to all of them I can confirm that deck 4 has 3  drys and washers and the other -decks 4 through 8 have 2. HOWEVER what is unknown is how many are out of service - I know one washer and one dryer on deck 4 were out of service for weeks on our cruise and still not fixed on 29 Aug when we left 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 4:52 PM, lissie said:

Having been to all of them I can confirm that deck 4 has 3  drys and washers and the other -decks 4 through 8 have 2. HOWEVER what is unknown is how many are out of service - I know one washer and one dryer on deck 4 were out of service for weeks on our cruise and still not fixed on 29 Aug when we left 

I watched a jane Mcdonald programme where a passenger said she put an out of order sign on a washer so she was guaranteed one would be free to use,On our cruise there were several out of order and it just made me wonder.

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2022 at 11:31 AM, kmerlin14 said:

the one opposite cabin 5067 had two washers and two dryers. The doors unlock from both sides, so sometimes being first in line doesn't necessarily get you a machine.

We used that laundrette a few months ago and I remember there were three of each - and they were all in working order.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 4:31 PM, kmerlin14 said:

the one opposite cabin 5067 had two washers and two dryers. The doors unlock from both sides, so sometimes being first in line doesn't necessarily get you a machine.

Strategic plan, queue up before opening time but make sure your partner is queuing up from the other side with at least some of your load!

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, john watson said:

Strategic plan, queue up before opening time but make sure your partner is queuing up from the other side with at least some of your load!

Regards John

Or go around 5pm 2 out of 3 machines available the first floor I tried 

• 5 months later...
19 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

Do not forget they also  have ironing boards.

Good reminder,  thanks.  And irons.  The iron surfaces can get a little burnt so particularly if pressing a light coloured garment you might want to bring a pressing cloth.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 12:40 AM, MomentsNotice said:

Fabulous! Thanks for the input. Last time I was on QM (albeit 2016 I think) machines were free but we had to buy detergent. Sad. 

You've never had to buy detergent, it's always been free,  previously as tablets, and more recently as loose power, with a measuring scoop.

4 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

Do not forget they also  have ironing boards.

Which are nailed to the wall, so if you are left-handed (like Jane) then they are very difficult to use and she has to call on my ironing expertise to help out.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rakkor said:

You've never had to buy detergent, it's always been free,  previously as tablets, and more recently as loose power, with a measuring scoop.

Which are nailed to the wall, so if you are left-handed (like Jane) then they are very difficult to use and she has to call on my ironing expertise to help out.

Moral of which is: do not waste your holiday (or your life) ironing. I haven’t ironed since about 1990, and am much happier for it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 4/3/2023 at 7:38 PM, sfred said:

No charge, and free detergent.   QE also apparently got new machines during the recent Singapore drydock.

New equipment would be the "perfect" opportunity to introduce a fee for laundry machines.

Hope not .

11 hours ago, sfred said:

Good reminder,  thanks.  And irons.  The iron surfaces can get a little burnt so particularly if pressing a light coloured garment you might want to bring a pressing cloth.

I always take a cotton handkerchief to use as a pressing cloth. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes you will find someone in the laundry who wants to iron all their clothes at the one time and really does not care if you only want to iron a shirt and get out of there. 

43 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

Sometimes you will find someone in the laundry who wants to iron all their clothes at the one time and really does not care if you only want to iron a shirt and get out of there. 

In which case you just go to another laundry - there are quite a lot of them 

• Like 1

So are you condoning such behavior? what about the elderly ? do you expect them to be running around looking for another laundry. When this happens to me I just  go into my army voice never rude just like my old Sargent Major and question the behavior of the person who is  going to take at least 30 minutes ironing  their clothes.

2 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

So are you condoning such behavior? what about the elderly ? do you expect them to be running around looking for another laundry. When this happens to me I just  go into my army voice never rude just like my old Sargent Major and question the behavior of the person who is  going to take at least 30 minutes ironing  their clothes.

I don't know about the elderly running [mind boggles at this picture 🙂]but yes, for anyone, look for another laundry or if that's difficult, send it out to be pressed.

Annoying as it is to want to iron one shirt when someone is pressing a load [ironing, on holiday? Mad behavior anyway in my opinion😁] if the ironer doesn't want to yield the iron for a minute, then that's their prerogative and you say you wouldn't be rude so I agree. To ask once, isn't rude, it's an enquiry. To make a point, becomes unwarranted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1