Bringing Instruments - Guitar for Example

Maleficent's Dad

My neighbors are considering joining us out of NYC in July.  The wife loves to play her music and sing wherever she goes.  (I know, this can be a bit much at times, but that's who she is.)

She would only be on board if she could bring her ukulele and/or guitar with her.  I had read that Disney Cruise Line does permit instruments and confiscates them.  I Googled it, and while most lines do not permit instruments, I cannot find anything specific from NCL.  I went to their site and searched, and this is the best I could come up with - noting that it doesn't list instruments on it.

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

TIA!

37 minutes ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

Okay - thanks for the quick responses.

I had read that most lines discourage instruments simply because other passengers might find them disturbing.

“Discouraging” and “disallowing” are two different concepts.  

41 minutes ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

Okay - thanks for the quick responses.

I had read that most lines discourage instruments simply because other passengers might find them disturbing.

No offense intended but where would one play and sing without disturbing and annoying other passengers?

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

No offense intended but where would one play and sing without disturbing and annoying other passengers?

I agree, and have several musicians in my immediate family (2 in bands, we own so many guitars, ukuleles, mandolins, even a banjo), they stick with karaoke on cruises (thank goodness, it sometimes annoys me at home).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I know a few people who bring their guitar's to gatherings in the family. Generally it's not appreciated. I think it's rude to think everyone wants to hear you play or sing unless they request it.....especially on a ship of strangers who really don't care that you can play an instrument. It's not the streets of New York. It can be annoying and intrusive. No offense to her but  I hope she reconsiders so that she is not embarrassed by a staff member telling her she needs to stop. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I agree, and have several musicians in my immediate family (2 in bands, we own so many guitars, ukuleles, mandolins, even a banjo), they stick with karaoke on cruises (thank goodness, it sometimes annoys me at home).

I don’t want her to bring the instrument(s), so I’m hoping to tell her they’re not allowed.  It is crazy that some people think everyone want s to hear them play and sing!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

They should only allow bagpipes and fiddles:

Credit my friend @SalthMate🐀

Thanks @ChiefMateJRK. Ah yes, Ally The Piper; I'd gladly listen to her play her bagpipes onboard. Now, some other passenger brings and plays a guitar (or ukulele), I'm afraid I'd have to go Belushi on 'em. 🐀

Edited by SalthMate
  • Like 2

Which ship? The older ships have pianos in the garden villa suites. She can sing to her hearts content in there without bothering anyone. 

Honestly I'm sure a ukulele or acoustic guitar would be fine. If she was planning on schlepping an amp too, well I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't like that regardless of the type of music she sang and how good she was.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Which ship? The older ships have pianos in the garden villa suites. She can sing to her hearts content in there without bothering anyone. 

Conversely, if it’s a room where a piano can be played, absolutely no reason why an acoustic guitar couldn’t be played and a song sung as well.  Loudly.  There are musicians and vocalists performing and singing all over every cruise ship.   I wonder what you musicphobes do when you have to walk through those “rude and annoying” areas.   

Edited by EvanBedar

13 hours ago, jerseyfresh72 said:

I just got off the getaway 9/12 and someone who was in the haven with us brought his acoustic guitar. He would play it on his balcony in the evening. It was actually nice. 

I'm glad it was and that you thought so.  But music, like food, is very subjective.  I love music, but my choices may not be someone else's.  I certainly don't want to be forced to listen a balcony neighbor's choice of music (even worse if she's singing), and I hope the OP's neighbor has the manners and courtesy to understand that not everyone would want to hear her playing and singing.   However, I'm a bit concerned that she doesn't, since the OP himself has said this:

13 hours ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

I don’t want her to bring the instrument(s), so I’m hoping to tell her they’re not allowed.  It is crazy that some people think everyone want s to hear them play and sing!

The OP should make it clear to his neighbor just what he posted here, that not everyone wants to hear them play and sing.  

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 6