NCL Luggage Tags

MPHennessy

First time cruiser here. I'm getting ready for my cruise in less than two weeks and was looking at the printable luggage tags. Just printing them on A4 paper looks pretty flimsy to me, I'd be afraid of them being accidentally ripped off. I was thinking of laminating it, does anyone know if this is allowed or acceptable?

Thank You.

Maurice

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MPHennessy said:

First time cruiser here. I'm getting ready for my cruise in less than two weeks and was looking at the printable luggage tags. Just printing them on A4 paper looks pretty flimsy to me, I'd be afraid of them being accidentally ripped off. I was thinking of laminating it, does anyone know if this is allowed or acceptable?

Thank You.

Maurice

Get a couple of these   https://amzn.to/3dMWOrA

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MPHennessy said:

Thank You.

Maurice

The tag holders work great.  Lamination is fine and so is the tape.

One more suggestion.  Print extra tags and place one inside each of your bags, even your handcarry.  If the tags do get ripped off, the first place the cruise lines will look is inside the bag.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

One more suggestion.  Print extra tags and place one inside each of your bags, even your handcarry.  If the tags do get ripped off, the first place the cruise lines will look is inside the bag.

👍 Its a cheap and easy way to add some extra security in case a tag gets lost. I always put two tags on my bags..... just in case..... Along with either a Tile or Apple Air Tag   https://amzn.to/3xVH9x1

• Like 3

We started with tape, upgraded to the clear luggage tag holders someone gave you the link to.  Both worked, but I love the convenience of the holders and not having to take tape with me on vacation.  One time we ended up borrowing a stapler from the hotel front desk and were putting them on in the lobby while waiting for our shuttle because I totally spaced off tape when packing.

The idea for extra ones is great.  

Also, no one mentioned this, and I didn't know it on our first cruise, wait until you are headed to the port to put the luggage tags on.  Don't fly with them on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alwalaska said:

Also, no one mentioned this, and I didn't know it on our first cruise, wait until you are headed to the port to put the luggage tags on.  Don't fly with them on.

So when exactly would that be?  

While you're collecting your luggage from baggage claim and trying to find an open push cart?

On the transport van ride from the airport to the cruise port jammed in with 14 other families while your suitcases are piled in with theirs?

Perhaps on the walk from the transportation to the gangplank?   Do the tag on one suitcase while you push the others along with your foot as the line moves?

No, I think I'll put my tags on before I leave the house, and just keep a few spares printed in case one falls off.

9 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

While you're collecting your luggage from baggage claim and trying to find an open push cart?

On the transport van ride from the airport to the cruise port jammed in with 14 other families while your suitcases are piled in with theirs?

Perhaps on the walk from the transportation to the gangplank?   Do the tag on one suitcase while you push the others along with your foot as the line moves?

No, I think I'll put my tags on before I leave the house, and just keep a few spares printed in case one falls off.

After you collect your bags at the airport, remove your airline taxes and put on your cruise tags. Cruise tags font service airlines very well. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

It's not like it takes an hour.  I put the tags in my carry-on with my documents, takes all of about 90 seconds to take them out and attach to the handle of my bag (using the sleeves with metal cable loops).  You definitely don't want them on during flight, they could be torn off.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

I suspect most people on these boards would put them on whilst in their pre-cruise hotel room. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Isn't the first place they would look my normal "real" luggage tag that has my name, address, phone number, etc?

42 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Isn't the first place they would look my normal "real" luggage tag that has my name, address, phone number, etc?

On my first cruise (on which I didn't have the handy luggage tag sleeve) both the paper tag, applied at home since I was driving to the port, AND one of those got torn off during loading from the drop off to the ship.  I had to go to guest services to get my bag.

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

On my first cruise (on which I didn't have the handy luggage tag sleeve) both the paper tag, applied at home since I was driving to the port, AND one of those got torn off during loading from the drop off to the ship.  I had to go to guest services to get my bag.

You must have had a really crappy "regular" luggage tag.  If mine got torn off, it would likely take the suitcase handle with it.  How long did it take in guest services?  15 minutes?

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You must have had a really crappy "regular" luggage tag.  If mine got torn off, it would likely take the suitcase handle with it.  How long did it take in guest services?  15 minutes?

I don't recall what it was made of, that was almost 10 years ago and I've slept since then.  There were plenty of other memorable events that happened on that trip for me to remember that detail.  I do recall seeing the bag as soon as I got to GS, they had the unclaimed bags right out front.  I didn't get it until late though, kept checking to see if it was delivered.

• Like 1

I print mine on a full page, then fold each side over and cut off the excess so that I wind up with three thicknesses of paper on the tag.  Then I put clear packing tape on each side.  I take the tags with me in my luggage, then at the pre-cruise hotel I remove all the airline tags and use the desk clerk's stapler to put several staples in the tag.  If I'm not staying in a hotel I put a stapler in my luggage so I can attach tags before leaving the airport.  Plus, since it only costs me a few minutes I put one tag on the top handle and one on the side handle...odds against losing BOTH are pretty high.

there's a far better reason NOT to affix your NCL bag tags before your flight than the very real danger of them falling off.  your bags could be misdirected.

if you have an aft cabin, the most prominent thing on that bag tag is the three letter designation AFT in all capital letters. AFT just also happens to be the airport code for afutara on malaita in the solomon islands.

are you mid ship? then your bag tag will have a large MID on it, which also happens to be the three letter airport designation for mérida international airport in yucatán (mexico).

do you have a forward cabin? well, you'll probably be OK, as there is no FWD three letter code corresponding to an airport. but FWD is also the three letter designation for "fair wind air charter," and if your bag is sent to them, it'll wind up in the arab emirates.

and while I don't think the abbreviation "NCL" appears anywhere on norwegian's bag tags... if it did, your bags might wind up taking a detour to newcastle upon tyne, england.

those NCL tags that "fell off" may in fact have been removed by the airline. most airlines remove all extraneous bag tags (that aren't pertaining to their specific flight) before sending luggage on its way.

• Like 4