Cruise ducks

Larrytheg

2 hours ago, notscb said:

If they are promoting this as a fun activity, I can see how it's grown to other lines.

Cite your sources that show one has had any effect on the other. You are making a huge assumption based, as far as I can see, on nothing more than a single advertisement.

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I do not think that seeing a rubber ducky hidden in a flower pot would be as bothersome to me as just being aware that I might be on a ship carrying a lot of people who think hiding rubber duckies is a worthwhile activity.

I detect a harumph.   

4 hours ago, notscb said:

Sure, there's a difference, but is that actually happening? Are people bringing entire suitcases of ducks onboard? 

Apparently, it is a badge of honor to hide 100 ducks on a cruise.  According to this article, it earns the participant the title of "ducker."  

Cruising Ducks – Has The World Gone Quackers? - Forever Karen

16 hours ago, mom says said:

You are making a huge assumption based, as far as I can see, on nothing more than a single advertisement.

Well, the OP of this thread was someone going to cruise NCL who had found the activity.

There are other websites, such as RCL Blog, who also talk about it.

A quick google search also reveals many articles talking about it, non-brand specific.

But sure, I'm making assumptions.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 4:47 PM, notscb said:

Sure, there's a difference, but is that actually happening? Are people bringing entire suitcases of ducks onboard? It seems like you're not really happy with others enjoying their vacation. It's okay to just say that.

Someone on our upcoming just announced they have 120 ready to go and wonder if they should bring more (is there any doubt?) “so those who don’t participate in the season (Christmas) do not feel left out.” Two months to go so undoubtedly will have more than one suitcase full. And they are probably the ones who complain they were stopped from dropping off their luggage in the cabin before they were supposed to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

just announced they have 120 ready to go

That's certainly excessive. I still wonder, for every X number of passengers, how many are realistically doing this, especially when most travelers fly to their embarkation port and checked baggage isn't exactly cheap.

Ultimately, if cruise lines found this to be a problem, they'd stop the folks with suitcases full of ducks and confiscate them before the suitcase came onboard. That hasn't started happening, so it must be okay for the most part.

10 hours ago, notscb said:

Ultimately, if cruise lines found this to be a problem, they'd stop the folks with suitcases full of ducks and confiscate them before the suitcase came onboard. That hasn't started happening, so it must be okay for the most part.

Nope, not really,  how can a cruise line tell somebody "sorry, your plastic ducks are not allowed"? Nothing illegal about bringing ducks onboard.   Instead the crew members just do ever more work gathering the darn things up and disposing of them.  And believe me they do!  Seen trash bags full of ducks being disposed of.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Nope, not really,  how can a cruise line tell somebody "sorry, your plastic ducks are not allowed"? Nothing illegal about bringing ducks onboard.

It's their ships and while it might seem silly they could easily and legally ban anything they want from coming on their ships.  Although if they did that some cruisers might leave and sail on Disney with the other children.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, notscb said:

That's certainly excessive. I still wonder, for every X number of passengers, how many are realistically doing this, especially when most travelers fly to their embarkation port and checked baggage isn't exactly cheap.

People bring suitcases full of room and door decorations so a few hundred ducks don't add much.  

7 hours ago, crazyank said:

how can a cruise line tell somebody "sorry, your plastic ducks are not allowed"?

As someone else already replied, the ships belong to the cruise lines. They are allowed to tell passengers what is and isn't allowed, and already have extensive lists with examples of both. The most obvious example of this is how cruise lines control alcohol and other beverages that are able to or not able to come onboard.

I stand by my comment 🤷‍♀️

10 hours ago, notscb said:

They are allowed to tell passengers what is and isn't allowed, and already have extensive lists with examples of both.

Absolutely.  P&O for example, ban personalised tee shirts. 

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I ought to look into P&O.  Do they express any interest in what people wear in the MDR?

Smart casual on normal nights, minimum of jacket and tie on formal nights (two per seven nights except for the two mega ships) in the MDRs and certain bars. No shorts after 6pm in public areas, unless in the Caribbean.

Virtually 100% Brits on board, and dress code followed by, I guess 90% of pax.

The Brits like to dress up, so lots of DJs & Kilts in evidence.

Edited by wowzz