Silversea Air Screws Up Again

chrism23

10 hours ago, les37b said:

Nor me.... If you find out why, please let me know. 😅 No one at SS is claiming ownership for this unauthorised change, so expect I'll never find out. 

Luckily I printed off all my excursions, so will rebook the ones I can when I get home from my break away tonight and request SS un wait list the ones I was on and can't book through the website. 

I spoke too soon. I was able to rebook, but only if I paid for them all. The "free excursions" in my booking has also vanished. The home to airport transfers are still there though. 

TA has all the details and hoping can sort this SS error without too many problems. 

14 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Or they are reading all the threads across cruise lines and Silversea comes out best

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Best, least worst, something like that...

Sadly, you are both probably right.  Despite our recent issues with the Air Department, we will continue to sail with Silversea again.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 5:13 PM, les37b said:

I spoke too soon. I was able to rebook, but only if I paid for them all. The "free excursions" in my booking has also vanished. The home to airport transfers are still there though. 

TA has all the details and hoping can sort this SS error without too many problems. 

On further checking, 3 of my selected excursions were now showing wait listed, but I'm pleased now to be able to report all excursions are now showing up in my.silversea correctly for which I'm relieved and grateful. 

Still no explanation on why this happened but happy it's back despite the stress and unnecessary work to make it so. 

We didn't get the BA/JAL operated flights that would have given us the whole day to explore Osaka and I'm not convinced with the explanation given, since we were booked on that combo up to 6 weeks ago, but hey ho. I've no complaints on not getting what I'd hoped, it was simply the explanation I didn't buy. 

Anyway,  when being critical and showing dissatisfaction on a public forum, it's also important to make it clear a resolution was reached and mistakes corrected. 

• Like 1

I made a comment on the other SilverAir thread about our DEN-LAX-HND flt with only 59 minutes transferring from American Eagle to a 787 at LAX. My TA finally heard back and they said the nonstop DEN-NRT on UA wasn't available in their program. No way we 79 yr olds with bad bodies could make that change of terminal. I'm almost tempted to cancel the whole cruise which was originally booked in Jan 2020. Oh well, I'll probably have a heart attack from the stress and it won't be a factor. Anyone know if LAX has golf cart type transfers, can't imagine a wheelchair pusher could make it either.

7 hours ago, les37b said:

when being critical and showing dissatisfaction on a public forum, it's also important to make it clear a resolution was reached and mistakes corrected. 

I have also come to an agreement this week with the Air Department and agreed to pay an upcharge to get the return flights we want with a manageable 3 1/2 hour layover.  Our CC is trying to get us a small credit to offset the upcharge but is making no promises.  Does this leave us irritated?  Yes.  Will we continue to sail with Silversea?  Yes.  

Edited by CruzinFeraBruzin
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, silkismom said:

I made a comment on the other SilverAir thread about our DEN-LAX-HND flt with only 59 minutes transferring from American Eagle to a 787 at LAX.

Anyone know if LAX has golf cart type transfers, can't imagine a wheelchair pusher could make it either.

Don’t know about golf carts, but if you have Concierge Key status with AA, you can request a direct terminal to terminal transfer using a car or SUV via the apron.  Otherwise, as I noted in your other post, I don’t see how you even stand a chance at making your connection.

The biggest issue is the terminal where your AA Eagle flight arrives and all of the steps you have to go through to reach the international terminal.  Making your connection would be hard enough if you arrived at the AA mainline terminal, but the fact you’ll arrive at the Eagle’s Nest makes it virtually impossible IMO.

• Like 1

"I did hear back from Silversea and the requested United flight isn't available within their program.  I'm now waiting to see if they'll change the current itinerary on 4/10 to allow more connection time.  I'll stay in touch.'
From my TA yesterday, I told her your comments which she passed on--didn't do much good.

8 minutes ago, silkismom said:

Silversea HAS to get you there, don't they???

Well, yes and no. They, like any airline or travel agent, will work to get you to the ship. But not necessarily on time. If you miss your flight, it may be one or several days before they can get you to Japan, and then to wherever the ship is by that time. 

I probably missed this somewhere earlier in the thread, but isn't there any earlier flight from DEN to LAX, on any airline? If there's no flight SS can get that day, could you consider purchasing a flight to LA on your own, and have SS change your booking to originate in LA? Alternatively, could SS book you on a flight to LAX a day earlier, and you stay overnight there (ideally paid for by SS, but even if you pay on your own )? I would do either of those rather than chance significantly disrupting your wonderful cruise if you miss  your current connection. 

Delta has an earlier one, then it would be changing airlines. I did mention to TA about flying day prior, of course then we have to recheck bags, security again as well as a hotel. I'm going to let her work it out, if she can't its "ba bye".

Thanks for your suggestions, guess we can hope AA changes its flts before Apr

8 minutes ago, silkismom said:

Delta has an earlier one, then it would be changing airlines. I did mention to TA about flying day prior, of course then we have to recheck bags, security again as well as a hotel. I'm going to let her work it out, if she can't its "ba bye".

Thanks for your suggestions, guess we can hope AA changes its flts before Apr

Given the cost of an SS cruise, flying in the day before may be worth the extra hotel expense--the additional hassles should be much less than that of trying to make your connection. We've made connecting AA flights with that kind of timing at LAX, but our checked luggage didn't, and it only arrived on the next flight to our destination. 

After 6 months of attempting to sort my flights and finally thinking less than a week ago it was finally resolved and flights allocated we had agreed on, I had requested from my TA to get the PNR numbers. I just chased (my agent is now on holiday) and another assistant helped for contacting SS.

I was given the PNR, but told that my return flights had been changed from 8am to 6am from Anchorage. Very little point in paying for a hotel let alone such a bad time. But moreover, after all that's happened, to not even inform my TA (or me) they were now changing AGAIN, it just stinks.

The PNR given is fine for the outwards Emirates (and shows its a placeholder) but the return on Delta, doesn't even show up and nor was another number given. The agent asked what the reason they were changing and they said it was done on Monday and they have no idea why or any other details. Sounds very familiar!

my.silversea still shows what I'm expecting it to show. The agent went back and got the second PNR and indeed, it shows that Silversea HAS changed my flight a few days after this was meant to have been put to bed. I do appreciate until the booking is ticketed, things can change - but given the trials to date and final agreement just a few days ago, I'm left pretty angry.

On 12/2/2022 at 2:47 PM, taxatty said:

Given the cost of an SS cruise, flying in the day before may be worth the extra hotel expense-

I always fly in the day before.  Especially these days even though I have always done it.  If for some reason i have to fly into somewhere with a very early arrival, say 6:00 AM or so I will always book a room for the day before so we would be sure to have a room to crash in when we arrive. (this seems to always happen in Dublin).  The peace of mind this gives on is worth the extra $$.  Also, depending on where you are flying in and out of, it is winter, there is snow, and places like JFK or Logan shut down with some regularity.  Another reason to book a hotel a day or two early.

Well the latest--yesterday my TA said that now we have a longer connection in LAX, we get on JAL to Narita--but then Haneda to Osaka. I've found a train that connects to the monorail to Haneda. Of course we have to get our bags/ haul them onto/off train/ recheck and I assume security again. Why oh why can't they do something simple.

2 hours ago, silkismom said:

Well the latest--yesterday my TA said that now we have a longer connection in LAX, we get on JAL to Narita--but then Haneda to Osaka. I've found a train that connects to the monorail to Haneda. Of course we have to get our bags/ haul them onto/off train/ recheck and I assume security again. Why oh why can't they do something simple.

I'd seriously thought about taking the bullet from Tokyo to Osaka instead..... Would have been quicker overall too!

We are back on the BA flights leaving ANC at 08.00 with a 6 hour layover in Seattle. I guess a 4 hour delay in place for less than a week was pushing things a bit!

• Like 1

The saga continues--seems SS couldn't book the air with the Narita-Haneda by train connection. Then my TA was gone for several days. This morning she was working with someone at SS and there is now NOTHING available, must have had a run on JAL flts. For $1600 PP, on top of the $5000 PP we already paid for biz class, they could change us to the United one. NO WAY.  So we decided to fly to LAX the day prior (I suggested this months ago), spend the night and take the original AA flt. Now TA is waiting for SS to get back that they changed 1st leg of outbound leaving from LAX instead of DEN. My hair is going to be white by the time this finally goes.

Now my question, does anyone know of a decent hotel with shuttle service to/from LAX, I've heard some have stopped it. Are all cruise line air depts this crazy? We almost canceled today until I remembered that over 1/2 of the cost came from a SS canceled cruise in Mar 2020, which we wouldn't get back.

@silkismom

We always use the full-service Marriott LAX, which (at least as of late July of this year) has a free and efficient shuttle service. It also has good dining and drinking options. If you're a Marriott "platinum" member or higher, you get to enjoy the very nice "M Club" (concierge lounge), although I think you can get M Club access by paying for a club-level room.

• Like 1

Add Sheraton and Hyatt to the list for LAX.  Identical services as Marriott.  Hyatt is closest to LAX and my current preferred.   Avoid Westin, Rodeway and Motel 6.

Your writings make for an interesting read, but not something anyone should have to tolerate.   I wonder how many 79 year old people need advice about AA Concierge Key service and hotel lounge access.   Gotta figure if you have lived this long and have these privileges you would not need to be told.

There are a few things you could do to make this trip easier on you regarding airports that require effort now that will reward you on your travel days.    At least six airlines fly non stop DEN-LAX.   You have two practical choices.....UA and DL.  

• Haha 1