Silversea Air Screws Up Again

chrism23

I am posting this in hopes that someone from Silversea actually reads this forum.  By far, the worst part of the Silversea experience, is dealing with its Air department, albeit through your Cruise Consultant.  My last two trips serve as case studies on how bad they are.  Last July we were on on Scots Isles expedition cruise which ended in Dublin.  SS air had our return tickets routed through Frankfurt.  Huh?  A 1000 miles in the wrong direction, we were trying to go to Boston.  That got fixed.  Then this time, down to Lima and home from Rio.  They have my wife and I booked on different flights which we have tried to correct twice.  Still trying.

Now why do I subject myself to this incompetence.  By using them they provide transfers to and from hotels.  By using their hotels for transfers you get more information, luggage tags, and other perks that makes the whole process easier.  We also always fly business class, and once we are booked on the right flights, they can help with seat selection, cancellations  and other stuff.  

I have had 2 cruise consultants at SS.  Each of whom have been good at ultimately  straightening out problems with SS air.  I have done 8 cruises and have 2 more booked including the round the world cruise in 2024 (more on that in another thread).  I would say out of the 8, SS air has screwed up the first pass at booking 7 of 8 times.

There have been continuing complaints about SS air in this forum.   The obvious question is why in the hell don't the fix it.

Feel free to pile on please.  Maybe a lot of comments will get their attention.  

• Like 2

Incompetent?  They have improved then😁

I have always flown from our regional airport, some 20 miles away. Now, apparently, this airport does not exist  on their default booking system and I have to fly from one that is 120 miles away?

The flights from this airport would connect to the same flights as the nearer airport?

The distance precludes using the limo service.

The refund offered is offset by the the flight deviation to fly locally.

They do make life difficult for everyone involved.

• Like 1

I truely sympathize with Chrism, however SS isn't alone with the wacko flight routing...

We had another line try to route us from Newark to Istanbul and then on to Copenhagen as our boarding port.....go figure.

I can only guess that they are trying to save money in using some of their preferred carriers. How? I'm not so sure on that, but figure Istanbul to Copenhagen has to be at least 1000 miles.

Our flight was eventually fixed, but SS isn't alone. Our most recent SS cruise had us going from Newark to Stockholm and then back to Iceland....go figure.

We are also going back and forth with Silversea Air to get a flight with a decent connection time on our return back to the US next June.  90 minutes to 2 hours is no longer sufficient to clear customs and immigration to get to your connecting flight back home in this post Covid world. Rather than tell us which flight options they have with no upcharge, they sit back and wait for me to provide them with a flight option so they can say yes or no.

Our consultant told us last year the Air Department was severely understaffed and I don't think things have improved.  When a company is looking to cut costs, they start with their back office staff, which in my opinion is a major driver in a company's success or failure.  

Edited by CruzinFeraBruzin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pricing would be the only reason I would ever book SS Air again.  The “perks” are otherwise not deal-makers for me.  Transfers  can easily be arranged, I like to choose hotels myself  for usually better rates than SS and luggage tags aren’t necessary until you arrive at the dock.  What other info are you referring to that makes the trip easier?  There’s nothing difficult about using your TA or booking everything yourself.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Pricing would be the only reason I would ever book SS Air again.  The “perks” are otherwise not deal-makers for me.  Transfers  can easily be arranged, I like to choose hotels myself  for usually better rates than SS and luggage tags aren’t necessary until you arrive at the dock.  What other info are you referring to that makes the trip easier?  There’s nothing difficult about using your TA or booking everything yourself.  

Hi.  I don't have a TA.  He died.  I used to book everything myself when I traveled, once upon a time.  Now SS takes the hassle out of it.  I prefer to have someone do the work for me, even it it means staying at a hotel I wouldn't normally stay at.  I only have had one horrible hotel when booking their simply hotel which was the Costa in Barcelona.  Staying at their hotels also includes portage, which is very convenient as well as having staff in the lobby to answer questions and smooth out any problems.  Yes, I  have become lazy.  

• Like 3

Let me give one example of why I am using SS Air in my 2023, 2024 & 2025 cruises. Right now inflation is running rampant. The cost of airfares, specifically Business Class, is getting crazy expensive. I am not able to book air until 330 days before. With SS Air, at least I can lock in the price now and I will know what the costs are. At 330 days, I can cancel and book the air myself. In the past, the SS Air price on Bus Class was always less for me.

• Like 4

Never again.   They routed us from Reykjavik to London to Atlanta after we asked for a deviation because we were staying on in Iceland.  So, 2+ hours going in the wrong direction then they had the audacity to request $1000 pp for the deviation.  We got it worked out although it took two months and the intervention of BarbRa Muckerman.  Our TA no longer has hair on her head after pulling it all out.  The silver lining was I have a dear friend in London and we got to have dinner with her and her family in the neighborhood used for the Harry Potter film shoot.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Incompetent?  They have improved then😁

I have always flown from our regional airport, some 20 miles away. Now, apparently, this airport does not exist  on their default booking system and I have to fly from one that is 120 miles away?

The flights from this airport would connect to the same flights as the nearer airport?

The distance precludes using the limo service.

The refund offered is offset by the the flight deviation to fly locally.

They do make life difficult for everyone involved.

I’m guessing that’s the same airport I will use. We used SS to book our flights earlier this year and that airport was used outward and return. Obviously it’s too early to know for next year - actually was supposed to be March, but we’ve just cancelled because of the issues obtaining an Indian visa for UK citizens. So next one is not until November. Fingers crossed they’ll use our local departure - only 6 miles away for us. 

How hard is it for  RCL to reuse Celebrity's cruise air system and allow SS pax to book their own flights?

I prefer straight cruise only fares *(port to port as they like to call it)  and allowing guest to book at RCL's wholesale flight pricing via an online booking engine. Fixes most of the problems, reduces massive amounts of labor costs and guest satisfaction goes up tremendously.

PLEASE GIVE US ONLINE BOOKING ENGINE LIKE CELEBRITY FOR FLIGHTS!!! https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/find-your-reservation/flights-by-celebrity

Edited by Accessor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I doubt it is all Silversea's fault. Airline schedules are all over the place ATM. Qantas is overwhelmed and many reports of disasters with bookings. Last week one fellow had his booking cancelled the day before departure with his family. Now that would really suck.

We always have the air removed and get the credit because we usually stay a few days before the cruise and again after. As well we use points often.

But talk about routing via Amsterdam. If an Australian wants to get an award on Air France from Paris back to Australia often you have to start the journey in Amsterdam or Rome to get the Paris to Australia segments.

I really would hate to be a TA in these times.

• Like 3

I’m guessing that’s the same airport I will use. We used SS to book our flights earlier this year and that airport was used outward and return. Obviously it’s too early to know for next year - actually was supposed to be March, but we’ve just cancelled because of the issues obtaining an Indian visa for UK citizensSo next one is not until November. Fingers crossed they’ll use our local departure - only 6 miles away for us. 

Correct .... NCL now EDI.

Numpties?

I thought that the contract was with the airline not the airport?

Recommend if you use Silversea Air to check your flights with your record locater (ask your TA to provide it, or your Silversea consultant when your air populates on my.silversea)at least weekly.

Late last week American Airlines not Silver Air removed our connecting flght (from Atlanta to Dallas) to Auckland and replaced it with flight that had only 50 minutes connection time.  This is not even the minimum one hour that is recommend between flights in DFW (75 minutes preferred), let alone if I wanted my luggage to accompany me to Auckland. 

So, immediately had my TA get with Silver Air and rebook the ATL to DFW flight with a 3 hour layover in Dallas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can not say enough bad about SS air. I've traveled fairly frequently by air for the last 50 years and yesterday was my worst travel experience EVER.

Not only did we fly 3 hours in the wrong direction with a connection that I repeatedly argued was was too tight, our bags were lost in the process.

I anticipated these too tight connection problems but got no help from my TA (she says SS wouldn't budge) or from writing Barbara Muckermann months ago. SS was able to book what I proposed but wanted $5,000 extra.

Some of you may remember my complaining about this earlier...

Yesterday was the worst 24 hours of travel in my life. Running through airports to try to make connections, unexpected security lines. (note to travelers in Frankfurt: even if you arrive from a Schengen country, you have to go the security mulitlple times if you are going to the US). 

To top it all off, at the end of all this running, we arrive at the last leg of our 24 hours and United says my husband doesn't have a ticket. They have a record locator that says 2 passengers but it only works for me not him. So we stand at the gate (at least the plane waited for us) while they try to figure our why he doesn't have a ticket. Meanwhile, I have boarding passes with seat assignments but somehow it's not enough.

after a long wait they let us on but it was the last straw....

the upshot for me right now is that the fun on SS is not worth the nightmare of their travel department. I did everything I know how to do short of coughing up another $5k to make it work. I suspect part of my problem could have been that my TA did not go to bat for me but I don't know for sure. If anyone feels kind enough to PM a good cruise travel agent I would be grateful.

in the meantime, it will take a lot for me to be willing to travel with SS again and I won't have good things to say about SS to any friends considering using them.  it was not a luxurious  6* experience.

• Like 3

Yes, but to get the flights I wanted two months ago to Auckland (declined United, Air New Zealand) had to pay an extra $2000).  I paused, then and accepted since I received $1000 in referrals and $2250 in FCC (multiple Silversea cancellations during the last two years due to Covid).

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently traveling, so don't really have the time for a full dive into this topic.  But suffice to say:

Don't try to force linear geometry into airline routings and schedules.  It's not about straight line distances.

Cruiselines work within negotiated contracts.  Want to book through them - accept that you are dealing with a limited universe of possible airlines and routings.

Upset that you have to use another airport?  Refer to the above notice regarding contracts.  They do not cover all airlines and/or airports.

Record locators are close to being bupkis.  What you really need is to have an actual ticket number (13 digits) - only then are your truly booked and paid for and ticketed.  Until then, you have at best a very changeable and indefinite "reservation".

More to follow.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

10 hours ago, WesW said:

Recommend if you use Silversea Air to check your flights with your record locater (ask your TA to provide it, or your Silversea consultant when your air populates on my.silversea)at least weekly.

Late last week American Airlines not Silver Air removed our connecting flght (from Atlanta to Dallas) to Auckland and replaced it with flight that had only 50 minutes connection time.  This is not even the minimum one hour that is recommend between flights in DFW (75 minutes preferred), let alone if I wanted my luggage to accompany me to Auckland. 

So, immediately had my TA get with Silver Air and rebook the ATL to DFW flight with a 3 hour layover in Dallas.

I’ve got the exact same situation with London to Osaka (1h15m connection in Tokyo) and Anchorage to London (1h7m connection in Seattle)

I have been attempting to get this amended now for over 3 months. I normally book direct, but this is via a TA and SS are giving them the runaround.

What’s too difficult to understand that international connections that involve passport control and 2 lots of security clearances cannot be achieved in an hour. The Seattle airport website states you need 3 hours.

it’s now getting close to -150 days and if it’s not sorted, I will cancel.

There really is no excuse for the way SS air have handled this. I’ve suggested several options we’d be happy with, all of which are priced virtually the same. They come back with 1/2 the change done…. Then reverse it with another attempt. Words fail me.

Does it really take 3 months? The TA are embarrassed. Another couple of days to my next chase.

One thing - I’ve no intention of doing, is boarding a flight when there is a certainty can’t work and high risk I’d miss the cruise.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, les37b said:

it’s now getting close to -150 days and if it’s not sorted, I will cancel.

You are nowhere close to being actually ticketed.  All that is happening is that you have some placeholder reservations.

4 hours ago, les37b said:

There really is no excuse for the way SS air have handled this. I’ve suggested several options we’d be happy with, all of which are priced virtually the same.

It may be priced about the same when you are talking about retail published fares as if you bought from the airline directly.  That does NOT mean that the pricing is anywhere close to the same when you are dealing with the contracted routings and airlines in their private contracts.  And any assumption that you can compare published to non-published (contract) fares and expect parity is foolhardy.

And one other further point:  A connection from ANC to SEA to LHR would involve neither a security screening nor passport control at SEA.  Purely domestic connection.  So that 3 hour number is not applicable.

• Like 1

I know that folks are using Cruise Critic shorthand here, but you should be aware that there is a real airline named Silver Airways.  So talking about "Silver Air" may lead an unknowing agent to an airline rather than "Silversea Provided Air Ticketing".

• Like 1

Nothing to do directly with SS but an acquaintance with whom I was talking today is travelling from UK to Australia in November and her flights have been changed three times so far, in each instance by the airline.   She has had itineraries with one and two stop overs, one with 1.5 hours stopover en route then changed to 30 hours and the latest proposal has her with two stops with a small number of hours at each airport but travelling a day later than originally planned.   She says she would start again with a different set of criteria but she is now caught by the fact that since she booked the airfares have increased dramatically so they are keeping the faith with the original airline and will suck up the current and any future cchanges.  This is just an example of the current air travel chaos which so many people are experiencing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, labrasett said:

Nothing to do directly with SS but an acquaintance with whom I was talking today is travelling from UK to Australia in November and her flights have been changed three times so far, in each instance by the airline.   She has had itineraries with one and two stop overs, one with 1.5 hours stopover en route then changed to 30 hours and the latest proposal has her with two stops with a small number of hours at each airport but travelling a day later than originally planned.   She says she would start again with a different set of criteria but she is now caught by the fact that since she booked the airfares have increased dramatically so they are keeping the faith with the original airline and will suck up the current and any future cchanges.  This is just an example of the current air travel chaos which so many people are experiencing.

My family has been on 10 trips since Covid started and every single one has had flight changes.  I’ve had to change destinations (United eliminated the flights), airlines (several flights were eliminated or schedule changed), multiple equipment changes resulting in lost seat assignments and reconfigure flights on every single trip which is why I check my upcoming trips every single day. 

• Like 2