Live from the 2022 Grand Africa

Scrapnana

Glad your 2nd day in quarantine wasn't quite as bad. Hoping the whole ordeal doesn't turn out to be as dreadful as you feared.

I am amazed that you could get 5 miles of walking in even doing it in small spurts. I know your cabin has been marked with you being covid positive, but are you prevented from leaving (other than your word of honor?) I know I read that some people who were moved to different quarantine cabins (this has been several months ago) were not given a key card. Hence they could not get back into their cabin if they left. I'm sure it must be hard to see the people walking by your cabin on the promenade deck and know that you are so close (but yet so far away) from the fresh air.

I saw the photo of your "information wall" on your blog and wondered what kind of magnets you are using? We have sailed on the Zaandam a couple of times and were only able to get our magnets to stick on the outside wall by the window. I know we also used a couple of hook magnets on the ceiling and that worked well.

Hairdryer question….we will be boarding Zaandam on 12/20/22 when your Grand Africa ends.  Looking at photos on halfacts, the inside and OV bathrooms show that 🤬 box on the wall with a hose!  Please tell me they have done away with those and have pistol type dryers at the desk now 🤞.

Thank you.

On 10/13/2022 at 5:34 AM, zelker said:

@Scrapnana  Inquiring minds (who will be boarding Zaandam December 5th for 32 days 😆) wonder if they've started installing the new flat-panel TVs?  

That is so interesting that you are boarding mid-segment.  How do you go about doing that?  Do you need special permission and can you choose any port in which to board?  Thanks!  Vicki

5 hours ago, kb4683 said:

Hairdryer question….we will be boarding Zaandam on 12/20/22 when your Grand Africa ends.  Looking at photos on halfacts, the inside and OV bathrooms show that 🤬 box on the wall with a hose!  Please tell me they have done away with those and have pistol type dryers at the desk now 🤞.

Thank you.

They are still there but don't function.  There is a regular hair dryer in the desk drawer.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AryMay said:

I saw the photo of your "information wall" on your blog and wondered what kind of magnets you are using? We have sailed on the Zaandam a couple of times and were only able to get our magnets to stick on the outside wall by the window. I know we also used a couple of hook magnets on the ceiling and that worked well.

Believe it or not, those magnets were marked something to the effect of "heavy duty" at Dollar Tree.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We have friends are cruising with you, s I will be following your adventures.  Better to have Covid while crossing the Atlantic, then missing ports in Africa. We were n Africa last month on a land tour and loved it.  Get negative quick and enjoy the rest of the cruise. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Scrapnana said:

They are still there but don't function.  There is a regular hair dryer in the desk drawer.

Thank you so much!  One less thing to pack.

🤞🙏 that your negative test comes sooner rather than later !

2 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

What a shame the bathroom hairdryers were disconnected. They came in handy for clearing off the mirror after a steamy shower. 
I also used them to help dry my knit gloves in Alaska. 

Hope you continue to feel all right, and pass the next covid test on the first try. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, amoba said:

That is so interesting that you are boarding mid-segment.  How do you go about doing that?  Do you need special permission and can you choose any port in which to board?  Thanks!  Vicki

As I posted after, it was a typo.  We board Dec 20th in FLL for a B2B.

8 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Ready for another bit of trivia. ( I don’t usually do trivia.)

What we’re the original playing pieces for Monopoly?

I think the thimble, boot, and iron were original.  Not sure about the others.

15 hours ago, 0106 said:

I’m sorry about your positive test.  I hope you remain symptom free and get out asap.

It appears you have been able to remain in your cabin.  Have they eliminated the quarantine area of ship?

Since you’re from VA, here’s some Chesapeake Bay trivia.

1. How many pounds of seafood does the Bay produce yearly?

2. What do locals call the striped bass in the bay?

3. What is the largest fish in the bay?

1 and 3 are wild guesses, I think 2 is right.

100 million pounds

rockfish

tuna

1 for 3 on Chesapeake Bay trivia

1. How many pounds of seafood does the Bay produce yearly?  500 million pounds!

2. What do locals call the striped bass in the bay?  correct- rockfish

3. What is the largest fish in the bay? sturgeon

I hope your day passes quickly and you are out of quarantine in time to enjoy the ports of Africa.

7 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

I think the thimble, boot, and iron were original.  Not sure about the others.

When Monopoly first launched, it didn’t come with any tokens. Players were encouraged to use buttons or charms from their own homes.

When Parker Brothers bought the rights to Monopoly in 1935 they introduced six original tokens: the battleship, boot, cannon, thimble, top hat, and iron.

The six original Monopoly pieces in 1935:

• Battleship
  • Boot
  • Cannon
  • Thimble
  • Top Hat
  • Iron

Later in 1935, the race car was added to the game to make seven Monopoly tokens, and shortly afterward, the purse was added to make eight.

Over the next 12 months, two more pieces were added: the lantern and the rocking horse to make what is considered to be the ten classic Monopoly pieces.

Source:   monopolyland.com

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, 0106 said:

1 for 3 on Chesapeake Bay trivia

1. How many pounds of seafood does the Bay produce yearly?  500 million pounds!

2. What do locals call the striped bass in the bay?  correct- rockfish

3. What is the largest fish in the bay? sturgeon

I hope your day passes quickly and you are out of quarantine in time to enjoy the ports of Africa.

Wow!  I thought I was high with 100 million pounds.  The only reason I knew the rockfish is because my favorite restaurant serves it and I asked what it was.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

When Monopoly first launched, it didn’t come with any tokens. Players were encouraged to use buttons or charms from their own homes.

When Parker Brothers bought the rights to Monopoly in 1935 they introduced six original tokens: the battleship, boot, cannon, thimble, top hat, and iron.

The six original Monopoly pieces in 1935:

• Battleship
  • Boot
  • Cannon
  • Thimble
  • Top Hat
  • Iron

Later in 1935, the race car was added to the game to make seven Monopoly tokens, and shortly afterward, the purse was added to make eight.

Over the next 12 months, two more pieces were added: the lantern and the rocking horse to make what is considered to be the ten classic Monopoly pieces.

Source:   monopolyland.com

The original came with no tokens - who knew???   Thanks for the trivia!

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see if the Zaandam staff will wear masks tomorrow or if they 

are included in the change of Covid precautions announced by our captain today.

I plan to continue wearing my mask in crowded conditions, especially when on the elevator.  I've waited 3 years for the opportunity to see Africa and don't want to be quarantined on the ship.

• Like 9

Obviously, I lied when I said I would not be posting every day.  I figured some day (far in the future) I would want to look back and remember what this time was like, so I am keeping up my blog.

Day 3 of Solitary Confinement - Sunday, October 16

I have gotten into the bad habit of eating breakfast.  This morning I ordered the bread pudding (I don't really consider it breakfast food but it is on the breakfast menu every day).  Normally, I don't care for HAL's bread pudding.  It is served in the Lido and is usually set out and becomes dry.  But, I decided to give it another try and I am glad I did.  It was delicious - still warm with plenty of that creamy stuff they pour over it.  Not only was it good but it really filled me up and I had no desire for lunch (what, me?).

With my lack of sleep last night, I did something else I seldom do - take a nap.  It felt good at the time but played havoc with my sleep (more about that later).

I am walking while listening to my playlist on my phone (and singing along - apologies to anyone passing my cabin while I am singing).  I usually walk to 2 or 3 songs and that gets me about 500 steps.  I only made 4.25 miles today.

Dinner was also tasty - crab/shrimp cocktail, Chicken Cordon Bleu, and a sticky toffee pudding.

Throughout the day I alternated my usual reading, knitting/crocheting, and working/playing on the computer.

In the evening I watched two movies - Sonic, the Hedgehog and Onward.  I have now watched more movies in three days as I've watched in the last three years.  The last time I was in a theater was on a ship (Amsterdam) on the 2018 World Voyage.  No idea when I was last in a theater on land.

I went to bed at 12:15 and fell asleep somewhere after 1:10 and slept for about 3 hours before waking up and not being able to go back to sleep.  Fell asleep again around 6 and slept till 9:45.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Does your window open so that you can get fresh air?  Or, did they offer you a quarantine cabin with a balcony?  Just curious.  I apologize if you have already answered these questions.  I think this itinerary is fabulous and will be following along.  Thank you for letting us join you, Cherie

• Like 1