Name a few little creature comforts that you miss while sailing

Travelling2Some

I love a pillow I can scruntch into a ball.  I found the perfect one.  It's called a Travel Pillow from My Pillow.  I bring it with me on all the cruises.  Also, I've learned that One Size Fits All Robes, Don't.  I bring my own.  I'm a light packer so plenty of room for those creature comforts.

14 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Our last cruise in the Haven I slept on the second most comfortable bed in my life. I swear that was the best part of the Haven Lol

We purchased a Haven bed while we were still on our September cruise! It arrived last week...now if only the new bedframe from Ethan Allen would arrive. We're going to be getting the best sleep of our lives! And, with a king, all four of our dogs should be able to still kick us to the edge of the bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/23/2022 at 11:42 AM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Brewing a whole pot of Community coffee.  Even though NCL allows coffee makers, they have switched to single cup pods recently.

My cat

Soft, normal sized pillow, not  the huge, neck breaking things

i like smaller pillows too. i wake up with a BAD headache every time i use theirs. i always end up using one of the green throw pillows. By day three the cabin steward stops taking it out of the pillowcase and putting it back.

bigger is not always better.

On 10/24/2022 at 5:54 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

What is it about pringles?    I never eat them at home, but about 5 days out of the country and I crave pringles.  Maybe it is that they are just so darn American?   Maybe it is the salt?   I never salt my food but maybe in America my food just comes with more salt?   

I am sorry to sound un-American and I know I am the one that started the potato chip thing, but I actually dislike the taste of Pringles.  Got to be Lays or Cape Cod brand for me.  I wish I did like Pringles.  They are way more packable since they come in a sturdy cardboard tube. 

• Like 4

On 10/24/2022 at 6:51 PM, RocketMan275 said:

I love a pillow I can scruntch into a ball.  I found the perfect one.  It's called a Travel Pillow from My Pillow.  I bring it with me on all the cruises.  Also, I've learned that One Size Fits All Robes, Don't.  I bring my own.  I'm a light packer so plenty of room for those creature comforts.

We got one of those as a free gift from Mike Lindell when we bought my wife's MyPillow. I crash on the couch with it regularly.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FlGoodShips said:

Along with my southern fried chicken, cheese grits, squash, fried okra, corn bread or biscuits.. I also miss my home brewed sweet tea. 

i am always delighted to try food that i can't get at home. it is one of my favorite things about cruising.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/25/2022 at 8:06 AM, cruiseny4life said:

We purchased a Haven bed while we were still on our September cruise! It arrived last week...now if only the new bedframe from Ethan Allen would arrive. We're going to be getting the best sleep of our lives! And, with a king, all four of our dogs should be able to still kick us to the edge of the bed. 

How did you purchase it while on the cruise? Which ship were you on? We were on the Bliss in the Haven in May and loved the mattress. We booked a different Haven room on the Bliss next spring just to check out the mattress again! We are thinking of buying one. Any tips on buying the mattress will be greatly appreciated! I’ve never bought a mattress online. Which specific mattress did you buy? Thank you!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

Along with my southern fried chicken, cheese grits, squash, fried okra, corn bread or biscuits.. I also miss my home brewed sweet tea. 

We sailed out of Charleston on Carnival a couple of years ago (just before the covid hit the fan) and there was a marked leaning into Southern cuisine in the buffet on that cruise.  It seemed to be mostly country folks onboard rather than Charlestonians. 

27 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

We sailed out of Charleston on Carnival a couple of years ago (just before the covid hit the fan) and there was a marked leaning into Southern cuisine in the buffet on that cruise.  It seemed to be mostly country folks onboard rather than Charlestonians. 

Thanks for the info, but we only cruise NCL.

And "country folks"?? 

Boca Raton, FL is not "rural".

Anybody can enjoy fried chicken and fresh veggies.

Edited by FlGoodShips

@Candy Apple 12 you could probably start with this site that I found when I searched Google for "NCL the Haven Mattress" 

https://blissbedcollection.com/mattresses

This second result from the same search is the press release announcing the mattress partnership and explains what models of mattress are from which category staterooms - 

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/press-releases/Pleasant-Dreams-with-Norwegian-Cruise-Line

That's a start until the person you quoted comes back to reply.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hallux said:

@Candy Apple 12 you could probably start with this site that I found when I searched Google for "NCL the Haven Mattress" 

https://blissbedcollection.com/mattresses

This second result from the same search is the press release announcing the mattress partnership and explains what models of mattress are from which category staterooms - 

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/press-releases/Pleasant-Dreams-with-Norwegian-Cruise-Line

That's a start until the person you quoted comes back to reply.

Thank you for the links. The press release says, “The Gold model can be found in the standard stateroom categories and consists of a classic Bonnell system with 400 individual springs for optimal bed rest. The Dreamy and Tranquility models are used in the suites and, thanks to memory or WaterGel® foam, provide an even more comfortable sleeping experience.”  So, now I’m down to just two mattresses. I wonder if suites have The Dreamy and Haven has Tranquility since the Tranquility model is more expensive. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

Thanks for the info, but we only cruise NCL.

And "country folks"?? 

Boca Raton, FL is not "rural".

Anybody can enjoy fried chicken and fresh veggies.

Well aware that Boca Raton is not a rural area.  You indicated that you were missing the staples of southern cookery and I pointed you in what I thought was a helpful direction.  There is nothing wrong with rural areas or country folks in my view.  They are the backbone of America and there is plenty I like very much about them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

How did you purchase it while on the cruise? Which ship were you on? We were on the Bliss in the Haven in May and loved the mattress. We booked a different Haven room on the Bliss next spring just to check out the mattress again! We are thinking of buying one. Any tips on buying the mattress will be greatly appreciated! I’ve never bought a mattress online. Which specific mattress did you buy? Thank you!

Hey there! Sorry, I didn't mean to leave the impression we purchased it using any service onboard...well except WiFi. As @hallux mentioned we purchased using the site blissbedcollection.com. Since the mattress is leaning against our bedroom wall (until that stupid frame comes in), we see the word "Matermoll" every morning. The beds on the ship say "Bliss Bed," rather than Matermoll. We took the sheets off to see what bed it was, so we could go about purchasing it.

Anyway, the last day of the cruise we went to that website and purchase the Matermoll Tranquility bed which is the model we were sleeping on in the Haven Aft-Facing Balcony with Master Bedroom on NCL's Getaway. I know the NCL site hallux posted states that Dreamy and Tranquility are used, but we had the Tranquility so that's what we went with. 

So, specifically, this is what we purchased: 

image.png.093c0238559a314fb57e2387bd1cec22.png

We needed the box spring, since the frame we ordered wasn't designed to be a platform bed. 

I've purchased a few beds, including an Avocado (online only), a random Big Lots bed for a guest room, and a couple other beds in a box. This is the first time we were able to get an extended pre-purchase trial which is why we bought the bed on the cruise. We were in the market, needing to upgrade to a king size set anyway, and it was so comfy that we just went ahead and did it!

Just FYI - the Avocado was comfortable, though slightly more firm than advertised (even with the Euro top). The downside to the Avocado, which is all organic materials, is that it weights more than 100 pounds for just a queen size bed. Right now, it's sitting in our barn waiting to be disposed of...rather, it's waiting until I feel a desire to heave that thing into the back of a truck and take it to the dump! 

Good luck on finding the best bed for you!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hey there! Sorry, I didn't mean to leave the impression we purchased it using any service onboard...well except WiFi. As @hallux mentioned we purchased using the site blissbedcollection.com. Since the mattress is leaning against our bedroom wall (until that stupid frame comes in), we see the word "Matermoll" every morning. The beds on the ship say "Bliss Bed," rather than Matermoll. We took the sheets off to see what bed it was, so we could go about purchasing it.

Anyway, the last day of the cruise we went to that website and purchase the Matermoll Tranquility bed which is the model we were sleeping on in the Haven Aft-Facing Balcony with Master Bedroom on NCL's Getaway. I know the NCL site hallux posted states that Dreamy and Tranquility are used, but we had the Tranquility so that's what we went with. 

So, specifically, this is what we purchased: 

image.png.093c0238559a314fb57e2387bd1cec22.png

We needed the box spring, since the frame we ordered wasn't designed to be a platform bed. 

I've purchased a few beds, including an Avocado (online only), a random Big Lots bed for a guest room, and a couple other beds in a box. This is the first time we were able to get an extended pre-purchase trial which is why we bought the bed on the cruise. We were in the market, needing to upgrade to a king size set anyway, and it was so comfy that we just went ahead and did it!

Just FYI - the Avocado was comfortable, though slightly more firm than advertised (even with the Euro top). The downside to the Avocado, which is all organic materials, is that it weights more than 100 pounds for just a queen size bed. Right now, it's sitting in our barn waiting to be disposed of...rather, it's waiting until I feel a desire to heave that thing into the back of a truck and take it to the dump! 

Good luck on finding the best bed for you!

Thank you so much! Looking forward to our next Haven trip. It’ll be a good way to try out the mattress again, just to be sure.  Aah…the things we must do just to research buying a mattress…

most of the stuff listed here (save the beds and furry property [pets]) can be bought in brought onboard or bought onboard at a port.

when i am on a cruise i am too enraptured by what i have on the ship as well as the relief of what i do not have...to really miss anything.  

• Like 1

Just back from a Gem cruise, many things to love about the Gem, especially the crew, but the beds were the worst we've had on any cruise ever. A mattress topper resolved that but the experience made me realise that my own pillows are the only thing I truly miss when away from home. And having sufficient space for my knees when using the toilet is something I have definitely taken for granted!

• Like 2