Name a few little creature comforts that you miss while sailing

Travelling2Some

3 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Can't say that there really is anything that I miss when I'm only on a cruise for a week.  If anything, I'm enjoying things to eat and do that I never indulge in at home.

I agree that this applies more to longer cruises.  We are usually away for a month at a time since we retired.

8 minutes ago, krittykat said:

The thing I miss most whenever I travel is my adjustable air bed. Having inflammatory arthritis, it is great for the joints.  But I love to travel and I can survive for awhile without it.

Yep, I am sorely (pun intended) going to miss my memory foam mattress topper. I’m tempted to buy one for the cruise! 

Also gonna miss going braless. 🙂 

and having to wear makeup

and, weirdly enough, my own toilet. I hate using public toilets and even the ones in the cabin feel public to me. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, krittykat said:

The thing I miss most whenever I travel is my adjustable air bed. Having inflammatory arthritis, it is great for the joints.  But I love to travel and I can survive for awhile without it.

Yup, I have a SleepNumber bed, having to sleep on a "regular" bed for a week almost isn't a vacation!  Good thing I can usually sleep pretty well on a cruise ship, maybe it's the extra activity making me more tired or the motion of the ocean?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MissRabbit said:

Yep, I am sorely (pun intended) going to miss my memory foam mattress topper. I’m tempted to buy one for the cruise! 

and, weirdly enough, my own toilet. I hate using public toilets and even the ones in the cabin feel public to me. 

Are bras and makeup mandatory? I look like a slob on cruisers compared to my normal life. It's vacation. I hope you find the will to look like a slob too. It makes vacation much more relaxing! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Yup, I have a SleepNumber bed, having to sleep on a "regular" bed for a week almost isn't a vacation!  Good thing I can usually sleep pretty well on a cruise ship, maybe it's the extra activity making me more tired or the motion of the ocean?

I attribute my sound sleep on cruises to all the after-dinner cocktails.... and the after-lunch cocktails.... and the after-breakfast cocktails.... and the before breakfast cocktails....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, FlGoodShips said:

I miss my recliner.

I once booked a hotel because there was a lovely big fat recliner shown in the pictures of the room.  You rarely see that and it was the main reason I chose that hotel instead of their many competitors.  An upholstered chair with a good reading light always carries a lot of weight with me too.  Wish more hotels would have them instead of just a hard little desk chair.

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2022 at 12:54 PM, MSUjohn said:

about the only thing that cant be worked around (and THANK god) is people's furry property.

Clearly you have not yet run into the infamous woman who walks her . . . ahem . . . "service animal" around in a baby stroller and hand feeds it at the table in the MDR.  She also dresses it in outfits that match her own clothes.  Disclaimer:  I've never personally seen this person and she is said to sail mostly RCI. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Too bad I'm not especially adaptable - haha!  I use my kindle only when there is no alternative.

Up to you but if you take a kindle, you know you will have reading material you will enjoy.  If you don't, you're leaving that up to the NCL library.  Take a kindle, if you find something in the NCL library, then leave the kindle in your suitcase.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Up to you but if you take a kindle, you know you will have reading material you will enjoy.  If you don't, you're leaving that up to the NCL library.  Take a kindle, if you find something in the NCL library, then leave the kindle in your suitcase.

A ship's library is useless to me because I need large print books.  As I said, I DO use my Kindle when I must.  However, I still prefer to bring real books and discard/donate them as I go.  There are excellent sources of inexpensive used large print books online.  We travel carry-on only so packing books can be a challenge, especially since I need a new book every 3 or 4 days depending on the size of the book and the voyage's itinerary.  However, I have work-arounds like shipping my books ahead to the first hotel we will be staying at or to a relative or friend in the city we are embarking from.  I never fly home with books as I have "consumed" them all by that time. 

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Clearly you have not yet run into the infamous woman who walks her . . . ahem . . . "service animal" around in a baby stroller and hand feeds it at the table in the MDR.  She also dresses it in outfits that match her own clothes.  Disclaimer:  I've never personally seen this person and she is said to sail mostly RCI. 

Yeah, well we had to sit at a table with that crazy woman and her dog while she fed it and baby talked to it on an RCI ship.  While I love dogs, this nonsense has to stop.

I miss my Jacuzzi onboard ships.  I know, there are plenty of hot tubs but you have to share......

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

Yeah, well we had to sit at a table with that crazy woman and her dog while she fed it and baby talked to it on an RCI ship.  While I love dogs, this nonsense has to stop.

OMG!  I was kind of hoping she was an urban legend but there seem to be plenty of people who have "experienced" her. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 11:04 PM, MissRabbit said:

Yeah, if there's a memo about clothing and makeup requirements I must have missed that in my last 8 cruises...

As for the toilets, I just wish NCL would stop putting them in closets smaller than an airplane bathroom. I really don't need to brush my teeth at the same time someone else is pooping. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Yeah, if there's a memo about clothing and makeup requirements I must have missed that in my last 8 cruises...

I would bet there are two opposing lines of thought on this.  Some people view a vacation as an occasion to buy new clothes for, dress up and present a nicer appearance.  Others view a vacation as a chance to relax and take a break from the standards they normally maintain (probably for business purposes).  I'm guessing that much depends on what kind of work you do and where you live (urban or rural environment).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stipulating that ANY creature comforts I may miss are WELL WORTH cruise life----

(and many posted above are true for me).....

We have a nice view/vista from our bathroom.  I find it very relaxing on the Throne when I'm looking at scenery I love.  Less so in the ship's ClosetToilet staring at a wall.

Recliners are obviously a huge hit 🙂  People running hotels (and cruise ships) should take note.  And, WOW, I never would have expected so many posts about toilets.  Really?   On the subject of comfortable chairs, I noticed all the deck loungers on the last ship we were on (Oasis of the Seas) made it impossible to read a book in comfortably.  If you put the seat back even a single notch the angle already had you leaning too far back to hold a book in front of you comfortably.  We've mostly sailed NCL and I don't recall having that issue with their deck loungers. 

On 10/10/2022 at 11:14 PM, spirit rev said:

I know there are some good wines available on board. However, I miss the wines from the Finger Lakes region in New York State. 

I am bring some with me on our next cruises as we get to drive to the ports!!  woo hoo.  The finger lake wines are the best!

• Like 2

On 10/13/2022 at 7:42 AM, hallux said:

This this this, we have Nectar mattresses and adjustable bases,  I will dearly miss that.  I use to miss my kitty(s) but presently we are pet-less since our last fur baby passed away a year or so ago.  Once we are done cruising we will get a few senior fur babies.