Enchantment of the Seas opinions

roupa

We have cruised many of the small to midsize ships compared to the modern mega ships.  Now about to book 12 days Enchantment cruise.   I understand it is an “older” ship that has been “stretched “ and refurbished. Opinions?….likes?….dislikes?

We have been on Enchantment (prior to covid) 3 times and really enjoyed the ship.  The ship was stretched 75 feet and it really adds to the pool deck.  We also cruised a 12 day repositioning on Enchantment and it was a great experience,  We have sailed every class of ship that Royal has and would not hesitate to sail her again.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, roupa said:

We have cruised many of the small to midsize ships compared to the modern mega ships.  Now about to book 12 days Enchantment cruise.   I understand it is an “older” ship that has been “stretched “ and refurbished. Opinions?….likes?….dislikes?

She was stretched in 2005, so it was quite a while ago.

When she was stretched, they did NOT do several logical things, which continue to baffle.

1.  They did not add any specialty restaurants.  She is the only ship in the fleet with only one:  Chops.  

2. More cabins, more people.  Same size Windjammer, same size theater.  They can get more crowded than other Vision class ships.

There is a cute "splash zone" on the pool deck for children, which pre-dates expanded pool facilities on the newer ships.  She used to have a bungee trampoline activity, but they have dismantled that.  😞 

I love all the ships, and will be sailing again on the Enchantment in January.  It's just hard to beat the drive-to convenience.

• Like 1

I sailed Enchantment in July. Didn’t like it one bit. I usually sail the larger ships so that could be part of it, but it just seemed too crowded. All the bars and lounges were packed. Windjammer packed. The Solarium was full of kids cause the main pool was closed. We had bad weather the whole week so maybe if the weather was nicer more people would’ve been outside and the indoor lounges would’ve been less crowded. However, and this is just my opinion, that doesn’t take away from the fact that the ship was a floating rust bucket. Rattling and shaking. Cabin was the size of a walk in closet. Won’t be sailing her again. I’ll stick to the larger, more modern ships. 

It depends on what kind of ship you prefer.  You know its an older, smaller ship.  To me the Enchantment has more of a traditional cruise ship feel to it, while the newer ones have more of a themepark/resort feel to them.  I think both are great and dont need alot to entertain myself.  

You may find the Enchantment quieter, less busy and slower pace, but with fewer choices (only Chops for specialty dining, less entertainment).  The newer ships are louder with tons to do and I always feel like I am on the move, so not as relaxing.

If you like having lots of food and entertainment options, the Enchantment is probably not for you.  If you like the older cruise style where the ship is more relaxing and the focus is on the lounges, you may enjoy it.

• Like 3

If the itinerary is very port intensive with 1 sea day where my time on the ship will really be just in the evening for dinner and shows then the ship does not matter as much and a ship like Enchantment will be fine. But if the itinerary is more relaxed with a few sea days or in general I know I will be spending more time on the ship then the ship will matter and I will want a newer style ship with more features. 

Enchantment is definitely one of our all-time favorite ships.  We have sailed on her three times this year, and have two more booked.

She is a real ship, not an amusement park, with lots of nice outdoor spaces, and good views of the sea from indoors.  The stretch added a pool and a larger pool deck.  Refurbishments are constantly being done: the star deck, where the bungee trampoline used to be, is now open.  The stretch also gave us Bolero's, with a fabulous band, and additional WJ seating away from the crowds.  Cabins are very comfortable and clean. The ship is immaculate, and the crew are outstanding.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Enchantment is definitely one of our all-time favorite ships.  We have sailed on her three times this year, and have two more booked.

She is a real ship, not an amusement park, with lots of nice outdoor spaces, and good views of the sea from indoors.  The stretch added a pool and a larger pool deck.  Refurbishments are constantly being done: the star deck, where the bungee trampoline used to be, is now open.  The stretch also gave us Bolero's, with a fabulous band, and additional WJ seating away from the crowds.  Cabins are very comfortable and clean. The ship is immaculate, and the crew are outstanding.

Where is this additional WJ seating?

Please elaborate on:  star deck.

Thank you.

55 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Where is this additional WJ seating?

Please elaborate on:  star deck.

Thank you.

WJ seating is in the Annex between where you Washy Washy and the pool area.  Three rows of tables. (Darn, now our secret is out.)  There are drink dispensers, and easy access to Pool Bar.

Star Deck is the elevated deck above the walking track on Deck 10, forward, above WJ.

We sailed her in Jan of this year and since have sailed on Adventure and recently Oasis.  Of the 3 Enchantment is far and away what we thought of when we used the term cruise ship.  It has a classic ship design.  You have such a connection to the ocean.  There is hardly a place onboard without views.  As was mentioned only 1 specialty dining but that doesn't matter to us since we don't step foot inside specialty dining.  

One of the things about Enchantment that stuck with us was the crew, they are heads and tails above any other ship we have sailed.  Incredibly friendly and caring.  With the smaller size it is so much easier to get to know them as well.

To each their own for sure, but if you know what you are getting in to Enchantment delivers.  It definitely IS NOT an Oasis class, but for some that is just fine.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I love all the ships, and will be sailing again on the Enchantment in January.  It's just hard to beat the drive-to convenience.

👍  Closest cruise port for me.  Was even more convenient when ships sailed from Philly.

Are you B2B 1/26 & 2/3?  May be booking 1/26.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

WJ seating is in the Annex between where you Washy Washy and the pool area.  Three rows of tables. (Darn, now our secret is out.)  There are drink dispensers, and easy access to Pool Bar.

Star Deck is the elevated deck above the walking track on Deck 10, forward, above WJ.

Do you mean OUTSIDE?  I don't recall any indoor space in that location, but I guess I'll find out in January.

When you said that star deck replaced the bungee trampolines, I knew WHERE you meant, but what is it?  Just another flat deck with loungers?

4 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

We cruised Enchantment in 1998 and 2002 (before stretch) Always have been once of our favorite ships.... Bigger isn't always better

So, you basically sailed on Grandeur (Enchantment's pre-stretch twin).  I personally preferred Grandeur (sailed 7x, last time Feb. 2020) over Enchantment (sailed Mar. 2022).

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

👍  Closest cruise port for me.  Was even more convenient when ships sailed from Philly.

Are you B2B 1/26 & 2/3?  May be booking 1/26.

Skipping 1/26.  (traveling with someone else on the 1/14)  Coming back for the Feb 3.    It is DIRT CHEAP.  But they dropped Charleston from the itinerary, which really annoys me, because they don't seem to have dropped it on any of the other SE cruises.  grrrrr.  It's the only port I really like on the itinerary.

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

So, you basically sailed on Grandeur (Enchantment's pre-stretch twin).  I personally preferred Grandeur (sailed 7x, last time Feb. 2020) over Enchantment (sailed Mar. 2022).

The last time I cruised on Enchantment, it was a last minute add-on to a Freedom cruise.  (I figured:  what the heck, I'm all the way down in Florida already, why not?) The EOS cruise was CHEAP.  First time (and last) I ever did an interior guarantee.  Had a cabin directly under the stage (and speakers) of Boleros.  😲😲😲

5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Skipping 1/26.  (traveling with someone else on the 1/14)  Coming back for the Feb 3.    It is DIRT CHEAP.  But they dropped Charleston from the itinerary, which really annoys me, because they don't seem to have dropped it on any of the other SE cruises.  grrrrr.  It's the only port I really like on the itinerary.

1/26 is actually cheaper than 2/3.  1/26 Solo IS = $483.  2/3 Solo IS = $520.

Neither has Charleston.  Same itinerary, but Nassau on 1/26, Freeport on 2/3.

Edited by Another_Critic

9 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

1/26 is actually cheaper than 2/3.  1/26 Solo IS = $483.  2/3 Solo IS = $520.

In *my* cabin category, the two cruises currently have identical fares.

(and they have removed Charleston from THAT one, too.  😡)