Are There Problems on Onward?

tgg

6 minutes ago, uktog said:

Thanks, not good for gym users etc or for those wanting to use the steam room

On the other ships they used a much simpler solution, the door to the spa deck had a lock that could only be activated by eligible sea passes.  So those who could not use the spa deck could still use the steam room and the showers.

Look forward to hearing from others on how it shapes out on Onward in the coming cruises as to whether this is another new cutback policy for the lesser mortals

Currently you do not require a key card to access the door to the spa terrace. This may change as contractors are on board carrying out various jobs including work on some doors. I don't know if the spa terrace doors are included in this.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

Currently you do not require a key card to access the door to the spa terrace. This may change as contractors are on board carrying out various jobs including work on some doors. I don't know if the spa terrace doors are included in this.

Very disappointing if access to the steam room was removed for everyone just because the right door wasn’t in place. Hope the steam room and shower room access is restored for all promptly 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Thanks, not good for gym users etc or for those wanting to use the steam room.

Now that you mentioned it, I looked at the deck plans and realized the spa/fitness center layout on the Onward differs from that on the other ships so that there's no access to the change room area directly from the gym - only through the spa reception. 

An inconvenience to say the least:(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrcan said:

Now that you mentioned it, I looked at the deck plans and realized the spa/fitness center layout on the Onward differs from that on the other ships so that there's no access to the change room area directly from the gym - only through the spa reception. 

An inconvenience to say the least:(

Azamara's first three ships were the last three built by Renaissance (R-6, R-7 and R-8).  Onward was one of the first three (R-3).  There were changes in layout between the first group and the last, some of which would be hard to redo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Azamara's first three ships were the last three built by Renaissance (R-6, R-7 and R-8).  Onward was one of the first three (R-3).  There were changes in layout between the first group and the last, some of which would be hard to redo.

Thanks, good point. I looked at the deck plans for Oceania Regatta - former R-2 - the fitness room and spa layout looks exactly the same as that of Azamara's first three ships. Same with other three Oceania's "R"s. So Onward appears to be unique - could be the Princess's heritage)

5 hours ago, andrcan said:

Thanks, good point. I looked at the deck plans for Oceania Regatta - former R-2 - the fitness room and spa layout looks exactly the same as that of Azamara's first three ships. Same with other three Oceania's "R"s. So Onward appears to be unique - could be the Princess's heritage)

After what Princess did to their R-ships, I'm surprised there is any solid steel left...  😉

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks, not good for gym users etc or for those wanting to use the steam room

On the other ships they used a much simpler solution, the door to the spa deck had a lock that could only be activated by eligible sea passes.  So those who could not use the spa deck could still use the steam room and the showers.

Look forward to hearing from others on how it shapes out on Onward in the coming cruises as to whether this is another new cutback policy for the lesser mortals

My recollection is that only Pursuit had the key card lock. Both Journey and Quest have a door that freely opens to the Spa Terrace with a sign saying private area, additional charges apply. That did the trick. The place was empty the entire three weeks I was on the ships.

No need for a key card to get into the changing rooms. I doubt they'd do that. What if you are caught short and want to use the toilet in there?🤭

Phil 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

After what Princess did to their R-ships, I'm surprised there is any solid steel left...  😉

Yeah, she seems to have been a Cinderella Princess)

On the Onward videos shot in May, the gym looks the same as on the other ships, which makes me wonder…

• Like 2

Someone earlier posted about the railings on deck 5.   EVERY day this cruise there has been a crew person oiling down these railing.... not just running a cloth over them, but giving them a good massage over every inch.   They are beginning to look much better.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We have just returned today from the Rome-Barcelona cruise, having been onboard for a back to back in May. Well, the ship has been vastly improved over the last five months, so many wrinkles ironed out. Further work continues as stated but the ship really is so much better. We thought the food in Discoveries was excellent, better than in May, when it was still pretty good ! White Night was lovely, although, sadly, no lobster. Flamenco dancers for our Destination Celebration were terrific and CD Eric's show remains the tops.

Bingo was offered and the officer-hosted dinner returned, for those interested. Embarkation Windows buffet was a full lunch style offering but the Patio was not open. The frozen yoghurt machine was operational.

Not wishing to strike a controversial note but we absolutely loved the Atlas bar. The 'classic' cocktails they make are superb, much better than in the other bars, the service and atmosphere is at the highest level and the three screens showing live-recorded music trios enhances the vibe. For us, the only place to go for a pre-dinner drink!! Incidentally, a much greater selection of books is now available in the Living Room and the travel books are also there in the Den.

We had another great cruise, thoroughly enjoyable and so relaxing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

When I started this topic a few weeks ago, I was concerned that the problems highlighted by early Onward cruisers were ongoing. That concern has been allayed by recent cruisers. Thanks for taking the time to reassure those of us who have Onward cruises booked.

It's nice to hear that the officer-hosted dinners are back. These have always included some excellent wines. I'm glad that there is a greater selection of books in the Living Room.  It's nice to hear that they're oiling the teak railings rather than using varnish.(I know that most people won't even notice or care.😃)

We look forward to being aboard in December and January.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kool kruiser said:

We have just returned today from the Rome-Barcelona cruise, having been onboard for a back to back in May. Well, the ship has been vastly improved over the last five months, so many wrinkles ironed out. Further work continues as stated but the ship really is so much better. We thought the food in Discoveries was excellent, better than in May, when it was still pretty good ! White Night was lovely, although, sadly, no lobster. Flamenco dancers for our Destination Celebration were terrific and CD Eric's show remains the tops.

Bingo was offered and the officer-hosted dinner returned, for those interested. Embarkation Windows buffet was a full lunch style offering but the Patio was not open. The frozen yoghurt machine was operational.

Not wishing to strike a controversial note but we absolutely loved the Atlas bar. The 'classic' cocktails they make are superb, much better than in the other bars, the service and atmosphere is at the highest level and the three screens showing live-recorded music trios enhances the vibe. For us, the only place to go for a pre-dinner drink!! Incidentally, a much greater selection of books is now available in the Living Room and the travel books are also there in the Den.

Hooray for Team Atlas Bar! 😍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kool kruiser said:

Thanks for your input. Was there any overly loud, annoying music played anywhere? 

36 minutes ago, Zoey said:

Thanks for your input. Was there any overly loud, annoying music played anywhere? 

I am on Onward right now. No music on pooldeck or restaurants. I think I mentioned some music at Den this morning when passing by. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

There wasn't overloud music everywhere but where there was music it was very loud. We learned where the quiet places were or moved when it started. 

When you encountered the loud music, where was it? I liked @beatnix's comment about around the pool. We like to relax around the pool. While we don't mind music, it needs to be background and not mind-numbing. 

Thanks,

Kevin

Edited by kml246
Add content
  • Like 2

The cruise director told us in a talk that there wasn't music at the poolside as 70% of respondents on a survey of passengers had said they wanted peace and quiet at the pool.

We found the music too loud in the Living Room, Cabaret Lounge and Den. I know we weren't the only ones to find that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

The cruise director told us in a talk that there wasn't music at the poolside as 70% of respondents on a survey of passengers had said they wanted peace and quiet at the pool.

We found the music too loud in the Living Room, Cabaret Lounge and Den. I know we weren't the only ones to find that.

Good to know, and especially good that there are cruise lines that pay attention to what their passengers want! 

Loud music is a problem on many cruise ships, restaurants, resorts, etc. I enjoyed my clubbing days when I was younger, but not anymore. I like to have conversations with my wife and others without having to shout. Perhaps Azamara will get the message about the indoor venues.

Kevin

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Finally no music at Pool. We never had it then it started on Quest and followed me to Pursuit. Onward I just used the balcony. I love music but not at pool. The den on Onward was rocking..great piano player but he left this month. I found I was at den or Atlas bar. They have great videos there and sometimes so quiet what was the point. Living Room for dancing but the last DJ thought we were 25..I like to dance but to loud.

• Like 2

Such a shame there’s not “proper music” in the Atlas Bar.

The idea of a video wall is an absolute turn off. Remember when they got rid of the pianists in the Den with a plan to use a video wall during the great 2018 entertainment fiasco. That idea didn’t last long. I wonder if they’d still got a spare wall in storage and decided to try the idea again. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, uktog said:

Such a shame there’s not “proper music” in the Atlas Bar.

The idea of a video wall is an absolute turn off. Remember when they got rid of the pianists in the Den with a plan to use a video wall during the great 2018 entertainment fiasco. That idea didn’t last long. I wonder if they’d still got a spare wall in storage and decided to try the idea again. 

Currently on Onward, the music is just quite background music if they had live musicians then it would be yet another entertainment venue which is not the point of the Atlas bar.

At the moment they have musicians showing on the video wall but they can have destination videos or a roaring log fire.

• Like 6

At one point we were the only passengers in the Den. We couldn't hear ourselves speak over the loud recorded music. OH went and turned it down! A staff member came to see what he was doing and happily helped. Another poster has mentioned the health and safety aspects of staff having to work in such loud environments. 

I just wonder about the entertainments manager. In one way it feels quite rude to make the music more important that people being able to talk but in another I wonder about their hearing. Has it been affected by long term auditory insult?