MEET & MINGLE ON BOARD

Snuffie

I would like to coordinate a Meet & Mingle for onboard our December 18, 2022 cruise on the Marina.  We have Roll Call pages for the 51 day/segments and just the Amazon (1st segment).

Does anyone have insight you would share with me on the best way to handle.  Prior to Covid, Cruise Critic had the Meet & Mingle sign up but that option is still suspended.

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, Snuffie said:

I would like to coordinate a Meet & Mingle for onboard our December 18, 2022 cruise on the Marina.  We have Roll Call pages for the 51 day/segments and just the Amazon (1st segment).

Does anyone have insight you would share with me on the best way to handle.  Prior to Covid, Cruise Critic had the Meet & Mingle sign up but that option is still suspended.

Many thanks.

O doesn't do Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle events.  My experience is that someone on the Roll Call organizes the "who" from the Roll Call participants then arranges a place and time on board.  @LHT28has done this and may have advice.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Thanks 1

If you can make contact prior to the sailing  with the Concierge & have a list of pax & cabin numbers  they used to send invites but that was pre covid

I would just ask the concierge  when we boarded  to have the sign out  after muster

Sometime they would sometimes not

Some sailing we just agreed to meet in Horizons  after muster  & before dinner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snuffle,

take a look at the Jan. 18, 2023 Buenos Aires to Santiago segment Roll Call. Bruce, WiFi43, has put together the Meet and Greet for that trip and has shared the Oceania contact people/office.  I believe Ken is collecting the names of all attendees and Bonnie and I are helping Bruce out with the sign in. He has some ship staff scheduled to meet with us as well and share some pertinent trip information. 
Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

I have set these up many times in the past.  I gathered participants from our Roll Call, submitted the list to Oceania and arranged a place for the gathering.  Haven't down this for a while since we haven't sailed since before Covid but I doubt these things have changed.

Sometimes they set up an area in Horizons.  My last two times we were at the Sanctuary Deck 14 portside just forward of the Sun Deck.  These were on Marina and Riviera.. I actually liked these because we were smaller groups and ALONE.  NOT that I would have been unhappy with Horizons.

Best to check with the Oceania staff when you are setting these up.  I always met with the attendant in the Executive Lounge, gave him or her a list of my people.  It was always handled very well.

Mura

• Like 1

It is a small ship. I suggest a meet and mingle would not be necessary as just going to the Piano bar or Horizons you can meet people.

If you are suggesting a Cruise Critic Roll Call meet and mingle, then all you need to do is mention it on your roll call, suggest a place and time and people may show up

• Like 2

As Mauibabes and Alcpa1 said I have done many Cruise Critic Meet and Greets over the past 18 years. And I have one set up for the January 18 Marina Buenois Aires to Santiago cruise and also the Vista Montreal to Miami September cruise. We already have very large numbers for the January cruise and Mauibabes is helping out while Ben is collecting the names and cabin numbers.

I personally prefer now that the pandemic has changed the way boarding is done and has eliminated the need to physically meet as a large group for the boat drill, to meet in Horizon’s for the M&G about 4:30pm Embarkation day. I work with the group department at Oceania on the logistics and in making sure invitations to a pre-registrants are in their cabins when they board. In the earlier days M&G’s tended to be somewhat focused around logistically managing people connecting who are doing private tours and that is still part. But for the last few years the M&G’s have been much more than private tour gatherings and even more focused on getting to know the experienced Cruise Critic communicators by everyone introducing themselves (I have Oceania  provide hand microphones so everyone can here) and for the Oceania senior staff on board to be introduced and greet us. I open name tag check in at 4:15, start the introductions at 4:30 followed by people circulating around to get to know each other.. Because the PA announcements about how to do boat drills come on at 5:30pm and then the band status playing in Horizon immediately after, I try to wrap up the M&G before these interruptions start. During the M&G chips and nuts are on the tables and drinks are available (cash bar except for free non alcoholic drinks).

If someone needs advice and the contacts at Oceania to organize a M&G contact me at bfredrickson at gmail dot com and I’ll help you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HiFi43 said:

As Mauibabes and Alcpa1 said I have done many Cruise Critic Meet and Greets over the past 18 years. And I have one set up for the January 18 Marina Buenois Aires to Santiago cruise and also the Vista Montreal to Miami September cruise. We already have very large numbers for the January cruise and Mauibabes is helping out while Ben is collecting the names and cabin numbers.

I personally prefer now that the pandemic has changed the way boarding is done and has eliminated the need to physically meet as a large group for the boat drill, to meet in Horizon’s for the M&G about 4:30pm Embarkation day. I work with the group department at Oceania on the logistics and in making sure invitations to a pre-registrants are in their cabins when they board. In the earlier days M&G’s tended to be somewhat focused around logistically managing people connecting who are doing private tours and that is still part. But for the last few years the M&G’s have been much more than private tour gatherings and even more focused on getting to know the experienced Cruise Critic communicators by everyone introducing themselves (I have Oceania  provide hand microphones so everyone can here) and for the Oceania senior staff on board to be introduced and greet us. I open name tag check in at 4:15, start the introductions at 4:30 followed by people circulating around to get to know each other.. Because the PA announcements about how to do boat drills come on at 5:30pm and then the band status playing in Horizon immediately after, I try to wrap up the M&G before these interruptions start. During the M&G chips and nuts are on the tables and drinks are available (cash bar except for free non alcoholic drinks).

If someone needs advice and the contacts at Oceania to organize a M&G contact me at bfredrickson at gmail dot com and I’ll help you.

I am in charge of the meet and greet for our Regatta cruise. Is there a specific  O person you deal with beforehand?

Bruce and Marilyn,

Really looking forward to getting together with you and Marilyn again. I know you were finishing a cruise as did we, our Great Lakes trip. Not Oceania.  The bummer for us was that half way through we both tested positive for Covid. So much for multiple vaccinations and boosters and masks. Glad it was a slight cold/ cough version, mostly just a nuisance.
 We are ready for South America. Stay well and see you all real soon because with the holidays, it will be January and flying time again.

Ciao, Mauibabes 

We also will be on the Marina Dec. 18-Jan. 8 segment.  I would be happy to bring the name tags and pens that we used last fall when I organized a meet and greet on the Regent Splendor.  If someone contacts Oceania ahead of time they will find a place, a time, and some munchies, so that you can announce the event.

Norma

• Like 1

Mrs F…call Oceania and ask to be transferred to the group department and asked them to connect you to the group person who handles Regatta ( I think it is Yoselin Yepez). This person will work with you to logistically set up your M&G and let you know what you have to provide to them before the cruise. It will be easy and if you need more advise send me an email with your phone number and I’ll call you to chat.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ladys Mom said:

We also will be on the Marina Dec. 18-Jan. 8 segment.  I would be happy to bring the name tags and pens that we used last fall when I organized a meet and greet on the Regent Splendor.  If someone contacts Oceania ahead of time they will find a place, a time, and some munchies, so that you can announce the event.

Norma

Thanks Norma.  Will coordinate with you soon!  Appreciate. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 10:25 AM, BarbaraM said:

There are no more muster drills --  Safety drills are held online --- and a brief check in at your muster station when you board. 

Oh my, that's news to me!  Not contesting what you are saying!!  At recent muster drills I had a problem getting into my life jacket.  I hadn't had a problem in the past but I did on our last two cruises. I can't imagine doing the drill online ... but I bet lots of people will prefer it!

As a P.S. to the question ...

The Meet & Greets that I have set up were generally for fairly large groups:  maybe 30-40 people, For smaller groups, just getting together in one of the bars can be a good option. But in that case -- assuming the bar sizes are not different from those on the smaller ships -- I think a small group would be better of in Horizons rather than in Martinis, for example.

As I think about it, on a couple of cruises where I was setting up such get togethers there were very large groups on board, and they were given Horizons as their location.

On one evening I went through Horizons as they were meeting and there was PLENTY of room for our group, but we happy enough with the space allocated to us. (I only say this as a suggestion that even if you have a small group of 10-15 people, it probably would be advisable to check with Oceania staff in advance.  They will know how many people are meeting where ...And if one of your members is in an owner's suite, you could just meet there!)

If you want to set up a larger group it's always a good idea to go through the ship personnel.  They will send out invitations, recommend the venue and time , etc.

This should be fun, not a chore!  I tended to go over board:  prepared name tags, purchases name tag holders, etc.  Just because I can be obsessive doesn't mean that anyone else needs to be!

MURA

Edited by Mura

On 10/21/2022 at 7:32 PM, HiFi43 said:

Mrs F…call Oceania and ask to be transferred to the group department and asked them to connect you to the group person who handles Regatta ( I think it is Yoselin Yepez). This person will work with you to logistically set up your M&G and let you know what you have to provide to them before the cruise. It will be easy and if you need more advise send me an email with your phone number and I’ll call you to chat.

Thanks for the info. I sent Yoselin a list of over 50 names and other associated information  (day, time preferences, cabin numbers, cc names also) a few days ago. I guess she is deciding where we can have it.  Hope I'll hear back before our Dec 2 cruise. 

9 hours ago, Mura said:

Oh my, that's news to me!  Not contesting what you are saying!!  At recent muster drills I had a problem getting into my life jacket.  I hadn't had a problem in the past but I did on our last two cruises. I can't imagine doing the drill online ... but I bet lots of people will prefer it!

I should have added that there is the standard instruction on the PA prior to departure, but no need to assemble— or find those life jackets 😁

4 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

The only one I attended was for military veterans as the ship approached Vietnam....

We had a Veterans M&G on Riviera 12/21 in the Western Caribbean. There were about 35 of us. Was nice to meet the other veterans. Who I then interacted with later on the cruise. I hope Sirena does the same for my upcoming 11/22 cruise in the Eastern Caribbean.