Seaborne Source App

JPH814

Currently on board the Quest. 

Seaborne is aggressively pursuing the admirable objective of reducing paper.  This is clear in its reliance on the Seaborne Source app for communication, transactions and many simple tasks. 

in general, for me, it works pretty well. My guess is for most people on Cruise Critic you would have no problem.  I say that because you are obviously pretty savvy in the digital world. 

but I fear for some  Seabourn customers the technology might be a bit ambitious    I spent some time the first 2 days in Seabourn Square dealing with a personal issue. Clearly  given the time of year and itinerary, the demographic on this cruise skews older.  Guest after guest was waiting in line to see a staff person to ask how to use the app.  How to sign on.  “Why can’t you print me a copy of my itinerary?”  “ where is the pass for my excursion?”  And “ why does the internet not work for me?”  

Adding to the problem of the demographic is the fact that the app itself has flaws.  For example, one of my purchased excursions was not on on my itinerary on my app.  Another  excursion which was cancelled was still listed. 

And all of this pretty important technology is based on a Wi-Fi signal which is inconsistent and barely adequate 

Bottom line: this is the future and it is a good thing. But it is not 100% ready yet, especially for those behind the curve on the digital revolution. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

Bottom line: this is the future and it is a good thing. But it is not 100% ready yet, especially for those behind the curve on the digital revolution. 

I am computer savvy, but not Iphone savvy.  I have one and use it--but refuse to become married to it, depending on it for everything in my life.  In other words, I have never used an App and don't plan to start while on a Seabourn vacation.  While cruising, I use my phone only as a camera.  

I suggest that Seabourn ditch the glossy pamphlets they send to your house at least once every week.  Instead, give us a good website from which to choose our cruises and then let us have a paper copy of. each day's menus and activities while on board.  I think that would be a good trade off and save a lot of paper! There is enough paper in just ONE of these mailings to provide us with printed information for an entire cruise while we are onboard.  

By the way, I'm thinking of all of you in the UK today---dear oh dear.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 6

An ap that is dependent on a sketchy internet connection is doomed to be, well, sketchy.  Not a great idea if you need it for basic cruise functions like excursions.  And i wonder how it works if you have an internet plan that allows for only one device per stateroom?  If you are using the ap, are you blocked from looking at email on another device?  If so, that is a big inconvenience.

• Like 1

If enough people walk into the Square and say "I only have a voice flip-phone, and don't have a smart phone", the message might get across.

Plus a simple "You know, Regent and Silversea don't make me use a phone for every damned thing".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Although the standard internet plan allows each guest to connect only one device to the internet, you can connect multiple devices to the ship's wifi network and use the app on them.

When Quest lost its internet connection completely last month (due to hurricane damage to a satellite dish in Florida) the app stopped working completely, but if the ship has internet the app will work even for guests without internet packages on their devices.

• Like 3

I agree, the app is infuriating and we are no luddites, the app doesn’t seem to work if you are not connected unless you disconnect another device. I think it’s actually discriminatory as there is masses of paper puffing Madame Zelda’s jewellery in the suite or the $195 yes that’s right for a wine pairing for dinner tomorrow but basic info is sparse and hard to get in suite. I’d also say having spent ages getting the verifly stuff and source boarding pass - no one asked for it or accepted it on embarking and we were forced to show paper copies !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tv24 said:

An ap that is dependent on a sketchy internet connection is doomed to be, well, sketchy.  Not a great idea if you need it for basic cruise functions like excursions.  And i wonder how it works if you have an internet plan that allows for only one device per stateroom?  If you are using the ap, are you blocked from looking at email on another device?  If so, that is a big inconvenience.

The basic internet plan is one device per PERSON. 

The purpose of my post was to commend Seabourn for the effort and alert future cruisers for the pitfalls.  5 years from now the app will be fixed, the Wi-Fi will be better and the customer base will evolve.   All for the better. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, calm down dear said:

I agree, the app is infuriating and we are no luddites, the app doesn’t seem to work if you are not connected unless you disconnect another device. I think it’s actually discriminatory as there is masses of paper puffing Madame Zelda’s jewellery in the suite or the $195 yes that’s right for a wine pairing for dinner tomorrow but basic info is sparse and hard to get in suite. I’d also say having spent ages getting the verifly stuff and source boarding pass - no one asked for it or accepted it on embarking and we were forced to show paper copies !

The Madame Zelda and glossy pamphlet examples illustrate that the main driving force behind the decision to push a still suboptimal app is not environmental, but financial.  That's fine (profits are good, otherwise the cruise line will disappear). The choice to save money on paper (though recyclable) and ink (expensive) , and staff to distribute the paper (expensive) is a financial choice, and perhaps a virtue signaling choice, but in reality is not going to save the planet.  IMHO, it is a bad choice given the status of the app.

But SB needs to stop being hypocritical, i.e., stop guilt-tripping, lying to, or even bullying customers who prefer paper activities lists,  for *whatever* reason.  People who love the app can of course still use the app as they choose , (and deal with the misinformation on it as they fit, as well as the kind of problems we had during the hurricane).  

The problem is not just one of too many computer  "luddites" either .  My electrical engineer DH (who designed complex computers for many years and is the ultimate tech-lover and early adapter), generally likes electronic bells and whistles and manages almost everything on his iphone with apps -- and generally hates paper.  But on our Quest trip, he was frankly disgusted by the app and was begging to look at my paper (though we ultimately kept looking at both, to maximize information).  

Hopefully if enough pax complain, SB will hire some competent people to improve the app (i.e., people who understand the customer demographic and needs, in particular during stress times like a storm or internet failure) , and improve the passenger experience.  Meanwhile, they should cease and desist the paper denial games.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

The purpose of my post was to commend Seabourn for the effort and alert future cruisers for the pitfalls.  5 years from now the app will be fixed, the Wi-Fi will be better and the customer base will evolve.   All for the better. 

All of which means bupkis right now.  And for the time frame we may have cruises booked.

Everyone who bought a cruise so that they could be a beta tester, raise your hand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

That is only if you see being glued to cell phones as a good thing.  Many of us vacation to get away from this.  It's like the restaurants which. now require you to see their menus online when you are sitting at a table.  Who needs that?  What is elegant about it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

That is only if you see being glued to cell phones as a good thing.  Many of us vacation to get away from this.  It's like the restaurants which. now require you to see their menus online when you are sitting at a table.  Who needs that?  What is elegant about it?

We definitely have different views of progress. 

I can remember cruises with a stateroom with paper all over the place. Daily programs.  Descriptions of excursions (that may or may not be sold out).  Confirmations of reservations.  Menus.

To think I can pick up my phone ( no, it is not glued to my hand, only when I need it) and answer my questions, remind me of appointments and make plans for the day.  . Not to mention up to the minute information about changes, what excursions are sold out or available, etc.

yes it needs work.  But it will happen. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

We definitely have different views of progress. 

I can remember cruises with a stateroom with paper all over the place. Daily programs.  Descriptions of excursions (that may or may not be sold out).  Confirmations of reservations.  Menus.

To think I can pick up my phone ( no, it is not glued to my hand, only when I need it) and answer my questions, remind me of appointments and make plans for the day.  . Not to mention up to the minute information about changes, what excursions are sold out or available, etc.

yes it needs work.  But it will happen. 

I'm sure it WILL happen, but, as it is right now--not my idea of fun on a cruise.  I don't remember having paper all over the place.  Not ever an issue for us.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SLSD said:

Also one of my pet peeves. Covid brought us the QR code menu in the interest of sanitation. Unlike other great innovations popularized by Covid, its time to return to menus you can read without scrolling on a tiny screen.

If Seabourn truly wanted their app and website to work so they can save the environment and also money long term they should spend the money NOW to hire decent IT people. The hours that other staff spend solving problems created by bad tech issues would easily cover those costs.🤯

Ooops sorry,  rant over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is the App only viewable on a smart phone?  Is it also available on a laptop?  I think the answer is no.  I do understand progress---and I do have a smart phone, but have resisted apps up to this time.  I also hate texting, but cannot avoid it.  I absolutely hate being disturbed all day long with "urgent" messages.  Yes, i know I can turn off the pinging--but then I don't even know if someone has texted me.  I would rather be emailed, which is not obtrusive.  Rant over.  

I used to wonder why women were always asking for pockets in pants, dresses and skirts.  I did not like pockets because I wanted my pants to lie flat--same with dresses and skirts.  Now I get it--it's for the blankety blank smart phone!!!  So you can carry it with you everywhere.  

6 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Is the App only viewable on a smart phone?  Is it also available on a laptop?  I think the answer is no.  I do understand progress---and I do have a smart phone, but have resisted apps up to this time.  I also hate texting, but cannot avoid it.  I absolutely hate being disturbed all day long with "urgent" messages.  Yes, i know I can turn off the pinging--but then I don't even know if someone has texted me.  I would rather be emailed, which is not obtrusive.  Rant over.  

I used to wonder why women were always asking for pockets in pants, dresses and skirts.  I did not like pockets because I wanted my pants to lie flat--same with dresses and skirts.  Now I get it--it's for the blankety blank smart phone!!!  So you can carry it with you everywhere.  

The Source App also works on an iPad.  I don't know about a laptop,  but I can't imagine that it wouldn't.  You lost me on not wanting pockets!  Even long before smart phones I hated having pants or dresses without pockets!  I still do and it's not primarily for my iPhone either!

57 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I thought it was to keep their dance cards in.

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Many women want pockets not just for a smart phone, but for other things, so they don't have to carry a purse.  I carry my iphone on a ship primarily to use as a camera, and as a pedometer. I also put my room key card into my pocket, my reading glasses, a kleenex, and -- these days -- a squashed mask 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

Many women want pockets not just for a smart phone, but for other things, so they don't have to carry a purse.  I carry my iphone on a ship primarily to use as a camera, and as a pedometer. I also put my room key card into my pocket, my reading glasses, a kleenex, and -- these days -- a squashed mask 🙂

I always carry the canvas Seabourn tote.  I guess I'm just not a pocket person.  

I mentioned this on my other post but I found it a bit unsettling to see many people simply struggle to locate “tickets” in the app out on quayside today. I have no idea why needed anyway as all had already declared name and cabin number. Some were upset, others embarrassed as they were holding up the line. Then the tour guide “scanned” and more often than not it only worked on second go. Someone hadnt bought their phone so they were sent to back of queue to see a Seabourn person with the clipboard (again) but they were on the bus !

As I keep saying we have no end of paper pushed at us in the cabin - basically trying to flog watches and trinkets but last night acupuncture too - but nothing actually useful, like a tour ticket.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, calm down dear said:

I mentioned this on my other post but I found it a bit unsettling to see many people simply struggle to locate “tickets” in the app out on quayside today. I have no idea why needed anyway as all had already declared name and cabin number. Some were upset, others embarrassed as they were holding up the line. Then the tour guide “scanned” and more often than not it only worked on second go. Someone hadnt bought their phone so they were sent to back of queue to see a Seabourn person with the clipboard (again) but they were on the bus !

As I keep saying we have no end of paper pushed at us in the cabin - basically trying to flog watches and trinkets but last night acupuncture too - but nothing actually useful, like a tour ticket.

I think the tour tickets should be reinstated.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, calm down dear said:

Having read several comments such as this, I wonder if I really was on a Seabourn (Odyssey) cruise last month.  During our 14 days, we never ever had anything "pushed at us in the the cabin."  The only items we received each evening were the TK chocolates and occasional gifts.  The only paper items were what I would call required: information on how to complete the ArriveCAN and information on how to disembark, for example.  Oh, there also were invitations to join the CD or other crew for hosted dinners as well as reminders of our TK Grill reservations.

There was nothing about buying jewelry or booking the spa.

And who the heck is "Madame Zelda?" 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Having read several comments such as this, I wonder if I really was on a Seabourn (Odyssey) cruise last month.  During our 14 days, we never ever had anything "pushed at us in the the cabin."  The only items we received each evening were the TK chocolates and occasional gifts.  The only paper items were what I would call required: information on how to complete the ArriveCAN and information on how to disembark, for example.  Oh, there also were invitations to join the CD or other crew for hosted dinners as well as reminders of our TK Grill reservations.

+1000!!!! 😀😀

Nancy

• Like 2

I returned last weekend from 14 days on the Ovation. Upon embarkation I asked at Guest Services for paper copies of the Herald and the Dining Guide to be delivered  to my suite each day and so they were each evening. Like skybluewaters and Nancygp I didn't get any flyers re: jewelry or spa services.  The only other papers I found on my bed were concerning required information  like disembarkation or my onboard account and reminders of reservations I made at TK and the spa.  BTW, I had excellent service everywhere on the ship.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Ok - you got me, Madame Zelda is simply my shorthand for “Marco Bicego” or “Tara’s Pearls” or “Christina Von Wenke” take your pick from the last week or so. Maybe your ship didn’t have such delights ? Perhaps it’s only me that needs some costume jewellery or some acupuncture or, new one here, teeth whitening ? Who goes to the dentist on a ship ? My point is simply that the puffery about saving paper etc is false. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2