Icon OTS looks like a joke…

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Might sail at 100% but will it be making the amount off $$$ That Royal is hoping for to make money they are expecting it to make.? That's the question.

Fun activities daily or weekly passes to an extent. That's the model that is popping up elsewhere. Even "conservative" MSC is heading that way. RCI knows how to capture their intended audience. That's not my concern; my concern is other: Where will be the current 40-70+ crowd being "expelled" from ships like this and little to no one filling the business opportunity.

A few years ago, I went with the crowd that stated HAL would finish next December 31 when their last cruiser passes away. I'm not so sure now. If they can adapt themselves to the musical preferences and social behaviors of that current demographic, they'll continue being a success, as well as Princess or X (ironing out the Edge "bugs"). The market segment is big enough. There's even an opportunity for Viking to build a "Viking-lite" experience.

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well at least RCI addressed the issue of crowded pools.

I for one like combining Two70 and Aqua theatre into new area covered.

I just hope the ship has El loco fresh and Hooked on seafood as well as Jamie’s. They can ditch J Rockets IMHO.

also hope they improve WJ selections too.

must say I am getting tired of orange and green around the pools though. Too bad no pools are covered as storms and rainy weather will happen.

The only way you solve crowded pools is to reduce the number of decks.

The bulk of increased occupancy over the years has come from adding decks. But adding decks does not increase your open deck space by one bit. There's simply way more passengers per square area of deck space compared to the past.

You can add more pools but all you've done is take the space from something else - lounger space etc.

5 hours ago, Vibe said:

Good point.  The cruise lines that cater to the newer older generations will probably have to adapt to the tastes of that generation.

We were discussing this on our last cruise, where the music was ballroom dancing and big band.  They're going to have adults who grew up twerking and listening to hip hop (or whatever those young rapscallions call their music today).  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Not always true, have read about lots of people coming off cruise ships with little are hardly anything on their sea pass cards. People aren't spending on a cruise ship like they did years ago. Times are changing.

That's because many folks are spending prior to the actual sailing.  Drink packages, meal plans, excursions, etc.  If anything, I would expect future ships to offer more revenue generating opportunities in addition to the expanded offerings.  More specialties, more bars, more stores.  Make the ship a destination as much as the ports are.  

• Like 1

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

Silly comment with no basis in precedent. 

Do you roam the streets naked? I doubt it. I also doubt you were born wearing clothes. Which means at some point you became clothed. The day that happened, it was without precedent.

Point being, if you require precedent for something to change, nothing would change. Ever.

But this is obviously nonsense things have and do change. So their comment doesn't need precedent and is actually your comment which holds no basis.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Well: I don't want to "give them ideas", but... MSC has a fun pass scheme on where you purchase a set amount to be used on things like Bawling, F1 simulators, flight simulators, 4D cinema, and the larger the ship, the larger the activities array will be. I believe their brand new big slide on the World Europa will be part of the scheme gone that is the novelty time. As far as I know, NCL has something on the likes for their new Prima fun ship activities. Believe me: This is the mainstream lines new profit source and they'll to make the best of it. RCI won't to be an exception. At least some of the adult slides will be an upcharge ASAP.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Doesn’t RCI charge for their slides on land?  On ships, don’t they charge for other thrills like North Star and I Fly?  So yes, I’d say there is some precedent. 

• Like 10

No interest in trying this until it’s a couple years old and off season. Some of the features look nice, but it is way too family oriented and will be closer to the Celebrity price point when it is new. No thanks, I’ll stick with X and the older RC ships. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobfoo said:

Do you roam the streets naked? I doubt it. I also doubt you were born wearing clothes. Which means at some point you became clothed. The day that happened, it was without precedent.

Point being, if you require precedent for something to change, nothing would change. Ever.

But this is obviously nonsense things have and do change. So their comment doesn't need precedent and is actually your comment which holds no basis.

WRONG, everyone else being clothed IS the precedent.

Edited by not-enough-cruising

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Doesn’t RCI charge for their slides on land?  On ships, don’t they charge for other thrills like North Star and I Fly?  So yes, I’d say there is some precedent. 

No other lines have I fly or Northstar

Yes they charge for slides on land

Name a line that changes for slides on board their ships

Do you even understand the meaning of the term precedent??

25 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No other lines have I fly or Northstar

Yes they charge for slides on land

Name a line that changes for slides on board their ships

Do you even understand the meaning of the term precedent??

Simmer down. The precedent is formerly free things now having an upcharge. The precedent is already there whether you like it or not. 

Edited by Cruzaholic41
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Simmer down. The precedent is formerly free things now having an upcharge. The precedent is already there whether you like it or not. 

again, you completely miss the point of precedent.

that's ok, post being, Royal will not be charging for waterslides onboard

3 hours ago, badvector said:

That's because many folks are spending prior to the actual sailing.  Drink packages, meal plans, excursions, etc.  If anything, I would expect future ships to offer more revenue generating opportunities in addition to the expanded offerings.  More specialties, more bars, more stores.  Make the ship a destination as much as the ports are.  

The penny pinching cruisers aren't buying any pre-packages of any kind.  They are the first ones at the free buffet , free everything, etc.

3 hours ago, bobfoo said:

The only way you solve crowded pools is to reduce the number of decks.

The bulk of increased occupancy over the years has come from adding decks. But adding decks does not increase your open deck space by one bit. There's simply way more passengers per square area of deck space compared to the past.

You can add more pools but all you've done is take the space from something else - lounger space etc.

i suppose so and they can not do Panama canal bridge or other bridges.

Bigger is not always better.  Me thinks Icon is gonna be way too loud of a mess until it rains.

20 hours ago, planefring1 said:

Its getting to the point, cruise ships are becoming floating theme parks. While cruising is an amazing way to vacation, New cruise ships are quickly becoming caricatures of themselves. Bloated, cartoonish, grotesque hunks of steel.

Wow, thems would be fighting words, but on reflection, if more feel like you, she’ll be easy to book!  Can’t wait.  Will be even more excited if they have Hamilton as the show! 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiggypooo said:

I can't believe they are doing Infinite balconies on this ship. My clients on Celebrity Edge class ships hate them. What is wrong with Royal Caribbean to first put them on Celebrity ships and now Royal. We will stick to the old ships...

Well, they seem to be getting most things right.  Most innovative cruise line, we can’t wait for next January.

Edited by Airbear232
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

The penny pinching cruisers aren't buying any pre-packages of any kind.  They are the first ones at the free buffet , free everything, etc.

But those ones won't pay upfront for those "fun" activities that one or the other way will end up as an upcharge. That's not the problem. The companies know more or less what that contingent maybe per sailing and they make all the possible to avoid a huge number of them all.

2 hours ago, tiggypooo said:

I can't believe they are doing Infinite balconies on this ship. My clients on Celebrity Edge class ships hate them. What is wrong with Royal Caribbean to first put them on Celebrity ships and now Royal. We will stick to the old ships...

Those infinite balconies on X are a midway from traditional balconies to infinite rooms with a floor to ceiling window only and no balcony, or if you prefer, a traditional land hotel room inside a cruise ship. If done right, it will prove itself as being popular. Both X, MSC, Viking Oceans Expedition ships and ATLAS Ocean Voyages (a portuguese-German relatively new luxury expedition cruise line) do have them already. I believe they'll be part of the future on the cruising industry, and I'm all in to the concept!

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Not always true, have read about lots of people coming off cruise ships with little are hardly anything on their sea pass cards. People aren't spending on a cruise ship like they did years ago. Times are changing.

Maybe some of the mature experienced cruises from Florida may not spend extra money, they look for the weeks that have better pricing and enjoy their free Crown and Anchor drinks and don't spend extra.

I live near Disney, it is full, their expensive hotels are fully booked, a lot of money is spent at fully book expensive restaurants and on retail purchases by younger couples and younger families whether they can actually afford it or not. 

Royal Caribbean wants them as passengers. 

Edited by Vibe
  • Thanks 1

A family of 4 would pay $1100 a day for Disney Parks with no hotel  and no food included, so this 7 day cruise is a better bargain than 5 day Disney parks vacation. I think the Icon will take business from Orlando theme parks.  I hope they do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GStanMus said:

A family of 4 would pay $1100 a day for Disney Parks with no hotel  and no food included, so this 7 day cruise is a better bargain than 5 day Disney parks vacation. I think the Icon will take business from Orlando theme parks.  I hope they do. 

2 very different experiences. Disney will not even feel the hit in the slightest. 

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1