Pool chair hogs ?

doowopbob

“Ha! I knew I’d find a use one day for this crash-test dummy … “

LOL.  In California, years ago, people used to put the dummies in the passenger seat so they could use the carpool lane to get through all the L.A. traffic.  Then, there were so many doing that, or something similar, that the carpool lane was no help!  I think there is a moral to this story somewhere here…

Edited by SantaFe1

30 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Ha! I knew I’d find a use one day for this crash-test dummy … 

In our case, Crash-Test Dummy = spouse.

If we want table, seat or lounger in a particular area, one of us will occupy the spot and reserve the adjacent seat for the other while she/he selects a meal from the World Cafe buffet line, then we trade off when the other returns.

My DW prefers an aisle seat near the back row of the Star Theater so that she doesn't have to navigate the steps or step over other people, so she goes down well in advance of the start of the show to nab (and occupy) her preferred seat.  I, on the other side, like to arrive just in time, so I'm the one who is “piggish”, “rude”, “bad mannered” and “selfish”, by slipping into the adjacent seat which she has saved/reserved for me.  And if I'm really lucky, she will have ordered my beverage of choice.  Of course many times, this being Viking, the servers will have often preemptively placed my beverage order upon seeing me or my spouse.  I really am spoiled in addition to being piggish in this way.  🐷  

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 10/29/2022 at 1:46 PM, KBs mum said:

Not booked with Carnival. Do not intend to under any circumstances. 

I'm basing timings on accepted norms in good quality not mass market hotels, which Viking claims to be the equivilent of, basically if you intend to park your arse elsewhere for a while you no longer have a claim on the chair you were sitting in. The 15 minutes is to allow for a brief absence with a margin for delay, such as that caused by a queue. 

Edit, CurlerRob's definition is good regarding change of activity, need to leave chair for a minute or two, no problem, gone to do something else, free up the chair 

So you assume Viking clientele are somehow better behaved than people who sail with Carnival?  Is it because they can afford a much more expensive cruise line so have more money?  If so....yikes.  

14 hours ago, UWDawg said:

In our case, Crash-Test Dummy = spouse.

If we want table, seat or lounger in a particular area, one of us will occupy the spot and reserve the adjacent seat for the other while she/he selects a meal from the World Cafe buffet line, then we trade off when the other returns.

My DW prefers an aisle seat near the back row of the Star Theater so that she doesn't have to navigate the steps or step over other people, so she goes down well in advance of the start of the show to nab (and occupy) her preferred seat.  I, on the other side, like to arrive just in time, so I'm the one who is “piggish”, “rude”, “bad mannered” and “selfish”, by slipping into the adjacent seat which she has saved/reserved for me.  And if I'm really lucky, she will have ordered my beverage of choice.  Of course many times, this being Viking, the servers will have often preemptively placed my beverage order upon seeing me or my spouse.  I really am spoiled in addition to being piggish in this way.  🐷  

You are not piggish and rude because your spouse was there reserving the seat.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

So you assume Viking clientele are somehow better behaved than people who sail with Carnival?  Is it because they can afford a much more expensive cruise line so have more money?  If so....yikes.  

I would not assume that.  Money does not mean manners or class.  Some people - and have seen this many times - are just out for themselves and they are immune to what or how anyone else feels and  void of basic courtesy.  (Don't hate on me, this is a VERY SMALL % of those that travel Viking, but there are always some.)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

OMG - yes!!
No, it’s not a factor of income. No one’s going to bite on that one.

But, Carnival offers inexpensive short cruises to routine (read Bahamas) locations that are acknowledged in the market as booze cruises.

As a result, they are known for loud, obnoxious behavior by highly intoxicated passengers who often pick fights or get sick in the public areas. I would not accept a free cruise on Carnival.

Google cruise ship fight and you’ll see that probably 90% of the videos are aboard Carnival ships.

Yes, Viking passengers are MUCH better behaved than Carnival passengers. This is NOT a kumbaya issue.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

Google “Carnival cruise” and “brawl.” 

Carnival markets itself as a party ship. Perhaps not surprisingly, they’ve been in the news repeatedly for large, multi-deck, bloody free-for-alls. I would expect *any* other cruise line to have better-behaved clientele.

(Apologies to all the peaceable and polite Carnival fans who don’t beat up fellow passengers and wouldn’t dream of hogging a poolside lounger. Sadly, you don’t make the news.)

20 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

Nobody, including KBs Mum has mentioned income on this thread.

Having worked in the industry, I am well aware of the "Party" cruise lines and which length of cruise, or even cruising region, encourages an even higher level of partying/rowdy conduct. More drinking and partying normally means less well behaved pax.

Back in the days when I worked Aussie Cruising, there is a very good reason we carried 2 police officers from Sydney on each cruise, who assisted the crew breaking up the numerous drunken brawls. Those were 2-week booze cruises.

These cruise lines are well known, and pax is most definitely NOT based on income, it is based on the type of pax that each cruise line directs their marketing efforts, and the cruise experience provided. Every cruise line, regardless of the pax income levels, have decent pax and rowdy pax. Viking are no different.

The Carnival model is directed to mostly younger, party type pax on short cruises, which translates to "Booze" cruises. Although I have never worked for, or cruised with Carnival, I have experienced this type of pax on many cruises. Conversely, Carnival's longer cruises attract a different type of pax, that are generally less rowdy.

Personally, I don't assume Viking pax are generally better behaved than the mass market party Lines, as I have experienced both. On Viking, all pax weren't perfect, as we did have some questionable conduct, but it was minimal. On all my mass market experience, both working and as a pax, the percentage of obnoxious and/or rowdy pax was definitely substantially higher. Having also observed this obnoxious/rowdy conduct on a mass market Line World Cruise, it clearly has nothing to do with "Income" 

• Like 3

On 11/1/2022 at 5:53 AM, tocruiseguy said:

Sorry about not replying sooner, was hit by the log in gremlins. 

People are people, what is appropriate in one setting may not be somewhere else. Carnival ships are fairly crowded 'resort' party ships catering for a younger demographic. Viking ships are more spacious and quieter, catering for an older demographic. 

It's the product I don't like, not the customers. No different from going to shop A rather than shop B

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

No chair hogs on those cruises......Just bar hogs.....🍺

I have to laugh when I first board a mass market cruise line ship.

The bars are all packed beyond capacity!!
Everyone wants to immediately start getting their “ money’s worth” from their drink package. 🥃🍷🤪

23 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Nobody, including KBs Mum has mentioned income on this thread.

Having worked in the industry, I am well aware of the "Party" cruise lines and which length of cruise, or even cruising region, encourages an even higher level of partying/rowdy conduct. More drinking and partying normally means less well behaved pax.

Back in the days when I worked Aussie Cruising, there is a very good reason we carried 2 police officers from Sydney on each cruise, who assisted the crew breaking up the numerous drunken brawls. Those were 2-week booze cruises.

These cruise lines are well known, and pax is most definitely NOT based on income, it is based on the type of pax that each cruise line directs their marketing efforts, and the cruise experience provided. Every cruise line, regardless of the pax income levels, have decent pax and rowdy pax. Viking are no different.

The Carnival model is directed to mostly younger, party type pax on short cruises, which translates to "Booze" cruises. Although I have never worked for, or cruised with Carnival, I have experienced this type of pax on many cruises. Conversely, Carnival's longer cruises attract a different type of pax, that are generally less rowdy.

Personally, I don't assume Viking pax are generally better behaved than the mass market party Lines, as I have experienced both. On Viking, all pax weren't perfect, as we did have some questionable conduct, but it was minimal. On all my mass market experience, both working and as a pax, the percentage of obnoxious and/or rowdy pax was definitely substantially higher. Having also observed this obnoxious/rowdy conduct on a mass market Line World Cruise, it clearly has nothing to do with "Income" 

Thanks.  All good.  We have cruised primarily on Celebrity to date and each cruise has a different vibe, usually depending on itinerary.  I wouldn't call any of the cruises a party cruise but they ranged from pretty lively to very quiet.  

I have to say reading these boards on occasion there seems to be an attitude from a few Viking posters (not you BTW) that there is some sort of classy vibe on the ship, everyone is in bed by 9 pm and when you walk the ship everyone is reading a book on local history wearing their cardigans.  😀  I am clearly exaggerating but there is an attitude good or bad, again from a few posters. (thus my "income comment") I am sure most of the posters on CC know that the number of cruisers who actually read and post on these boards is a very small percentage of actual cruise passengers on any one ship so you can't read too much into what is posted here at least from an attitudinal point of view.  I posted about what bars on the ship are open later on a Viking thread and someone answered by saying "If you must..."  in other words they didn't approve of us staying up late on OUR vacation.  It was sort of "well maybe Viking isn't for you" kind of comment.  Anyway we are booked on a longer cruise on Viking, will be the first, its a great itinerary, so we are quite excited and maybe just maybe... that cruise will be a just a little more lively....😁 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tocruiseguy said:

Thanks.  All good.  We have cruised primarily on Celebrity to date and each cruise has a different vibe, usually depending on itinerary.  I wouldn't call any of the cruises a party cruise but they ranged from pretty lively to very quiet.  

I have to say reading these boards on occasion there seems to be an attitude from a few Viking posters (not you BTW) that there is some sort of classy vibe on the ship, everyone is in bed by 9 pm and when you walk the ship everyone is reading a book on local history wearing their cardigans.  😀  I am clearly exaggerating but there is an attitude good or bad, again from a few posters. (thus my "income comment") I am sure most of the posters on CC know that the number of cruisers who actually read and post on these boards is a very small percentage of actual cruise passengers on any one ship so you can't read too much into what is posted here at least from an attitudinal point of view.  I posted about what bars on the ship are open later on a Viking thread and someone answered by saying "If you must..."  in other words they didn't approve of us staying up late on OUR vacation.  It was sort of "well maybe Viking isn't for you" kind of comment.  Anyway we are booked on a longer cruise on Viking, will be the first, its a great itinerary, so we are quite excited and maybe just maybe... that cruise will be a just a little more lively....😁 

Torshavn, which is Viking's late night venue may not be as lively as the mass market ships, but on our World Cruise, we were there until at least 23:00 most evenings, as were many of the regulars.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

We were on a river cruise back in the early days of Viking ocean, there was a sales presentation about the new venture. The person said that Viking Ocean was set up to be like a river cruise but at sea, many river cruise passengers had said that they liked the idea of ocean, but not the typical types of cruise product. 

Viking ships resemble floating hotels, night life and entertainments arn't a priority for most passengers. The focus on most itineraries is visiting the ports and lectures about them. Passengers tend to be older retired professionals. 

You can stay up as late as you like, but the people you spoke to are correct in that if you want a ship with a lively atmosphere Viking is not a good fit for your requirements, in the same way that Carnival isn't a good fit for mine. 

• Like 3

It is certainly true that Viking is not that lively in the evening compared with our other favourites Azamara and Scenic river. This may have something to do with the demographic as all but 35 on our recent cruise were from North America.   Many were first time visitors to the ports so were up very early to go on shore excursions.  In addition they tended to eat earlier than those from the UK possibly go to the show then go to bed.   On our Azamara cruise it was about 50% from the UK so probably they had visited the ports before and dined later.  On Scenic there are is a mixed crowd with many from Australia and New Zealand and they are certainly very lively.

Many of those we talked to on Viking had never set foot in Torshaven (we went every night - the band was great).   In addition they also had never used the wonderful spa facilities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

It is certainly true that Viking is not that lively in the evening compared with our other favourites Azamara and Scenic river. This may have something to do with the demographic as all but 35 on our recent cruise were from North America.   Many were first time visitors to the ports so were up very early to go on shore excursions.  In addition they tended to eat earlier than those from the UK possibly go to the show then go to bed.   On our Azamara cruise it was about 50% from the UK so probably they had visited the ports before and dined later.  On Scenic there are is a mixed crowd with many from Australia and New Zealand and they are certainly very lively.

Many of those we talked to on Viking had never set foot in Torshaven (we went every night - the band was great).   In addition they also had never used the wonderful spa facilities.

It all comes down to research, it seems that most book with Viking because they prefer the fact they are a different type of product, some recently seem to have booked having not realised this, then complain. 

None of the cruise lines mentioned in this thread are bad, they do what they do well, but they do different things. It's up to the customer to book the one that's the best fit for them. 

I am rather surprised that, taking into account the large amount of Viking advertising that is shown on TV in the UK,  the percentage of UK cruisers is so low.  My friend on a recent Homelands Cruise also remarked on the very low number onboard - I think there were 8.

11 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

...everyone is in bed by 9 pm and when you walk the ship everyone is reading a book on local history wearing their cardigans.  😀 

I beg to differ on this...I wear a hoodie and never read local history, I've always got a good biography. 😁😁

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Torshavn, which is Viking's late night venue may not be as lively as the mass market ships, but on our World Cruise, we were there until at least 23:00 most evenings, as were many of the regulars.

I’m guessing the vibe changes when you aren’t stopping at lots of ports and taking morning excursions, as I believe was the case for much of your very unusual cruise. Without the ports, I would think Torshavn would get a lot more action. I know I’d be more likely to go there if I didn’t have to be ready to roll early the next day.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KBs mum said:

We were on a river cruise back in the early days of Viking ocean, there was a sales presentation about the new venture. The person said that Viking Ocean was set up to be like a river cruise but at sea, many river cruise passengers had said that they liked the idea of ocean, but not the typical types of cruise product. 

Viking ships resemble floating hotels, night life and entertainments arn't a priority for most passengers. The focus on most itineraries is visiting the ports and lectures about them. Passengers tend to be older retired professionals. 

You can stay up as late as you like, but the people you spoke to are correct in that if you want a ship with a lively atmosphere Viking is not a good fit for your requirements, in the same way that Carnival isn't a good fit for mine. 

Umm, thats exactly what I said, ..."Viking is not a good fit for your requirements".  Thanks for the example...

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

I’m guessing the vibe changes when you aren’t stopping at lots of ports and taking morning excursions, as I believe was the case for much of your very unusual cruise. Without the ports, I would think Torshavn would get a lot more action. I know I’d be more likely to go there if I didn’t have to be ready to roll early the next day.

The cruise we booked is 28 days, half of which are either sea days or the port days start mid-day.  A vacation to me isn't getting up earlier than I normally get up every day...😀

2 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

Umm, thats exactly what I said, ..."Viking is not a good fit for your requirements".  Thanks for the example...

You appeared to have taken reasonably accurate information  as a personal affront. Nobody is criticising your holiday preferences, just saying that they seem to differ from that of a majority of Viking passengers, and your requirements may not be met by the product