Hidden Gems: NCL Specialty Restaurant Items

weltek

I feel like most specialties have their popular dishes that many people order, but what are some hidden gem dishes on the menus that you don't see talked about very much?

This thread was inspired by the relatively few reviews of the snapper at Los Lobos, so if you have any thoughts on that, I'll take it. 🙂

And if you want to add any "don't order" suggestions, feel free! 

Edited by weltek
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, weltek said:

I feel like most specialties have their popular dishes that many people order, but what are some hidden gem dishes on the menus that you don't see talked about very much?

This thread was inspired by the relatively few reviews of the snapper at Los Lobos, so if you have any thoughts on that, I'll take it. 🙂

And if you want to add any "don't order" suggestions, feel free! 

Not sure it's really a hidden gem, but the Burrata Caprese at La Cucina is excellent! Also, the mozzarella sticks at American Diner and the milkshake there, especially the banana one. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

This thread topic is great!  Still interested to hear anything about the snapper in Los Lobos. 

I now must try the Coq au Vin at Le Bistro. Had the beef filet twice and it was excelent. 

Yeah, that was a "problem" 😉 

That filet was the best on the ship in my opinion.  

But we were eating a lot in our suite because it was an Alaska cruise and we had a spectacular forward view, so... we didn't want to leave.  We decided to try the coq au vin for variety and also because "maybe it would travel better" or such.  What a wonderful surprise!  We hadn't even noticed it on previous cruises.

I'm sure the seasonings and prep can vary a lot with something like this, but we just loved the flavors.  And we don't usually get chicken when we eat "out", including on cruises.  For each of us, this was a special surprise.

GC

• Thanks 1

Dover Sole at Le Bistro:  Had this twice since they changed the menu and got rid of the old Filet and it is fantastic. Lemon Caper butter brings out a lot of rich flavor. 

Short Ribs at Onda: This was my favorite app on my last trip. The farro risotto was perfectly cooked and complimented the ribs which were fall off the bone tender. 

Tuna Poke Nachos at Food Republic: Saw this recommended on a random thread here and gave them a shot.  Perfect lunch food to pair with a sushi roll of your choice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Yeah, that was a "problem" 😉 

That filet was the best on the ship in my opinion.

This is the worst kept secret in this realm.  After too-many-to-count reports of how great the fillet was at LeBistro, and recent bad steak experiences at Ocean Blue and Cagneys, we bit the fillet-bullet and tried LeBistro a few weeks ago.  The fillet was so great that I had to do it again a few nights later.  😎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soup23 said:

Dover Sole at Le Bistro:  Had this twice since they changed the menu and got rid of the old Filet and it is fantastic. Lemon Caper butter brings out a lot of rich flavor. 

I had never had Dover Sole before...I found the texture off-putting.

Looks like a flakey whitefish...but it was firm like shark or swordfish (don't like those either!)

Not for me.

The cod skewers at Food Republic.  I know they sound basic, but they were the best things we ate on the Joy last month outside of the Haven restaurant.  We enjoyed them so much that on our second dinner there, we got two orders of them.  So good!  I also agree with the previous poster about FR's tuna poke nachos.  They were our second favorite thing in that restaurant.

• Like 1

The blazing shrimp appetizer in Ocean Blue is excellent and large enough to share.  Also, the crab appetizer in Le Bistro, different that I expected but very tasty and light.

Do not order pizza in La Cucina unless you live somewhere that doesn't have pizza.

But, the tiramisu there is worth the raves it gets.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, goldmom said:

The blazing shrimp appetizer in Ocean Blue is excellent and large enough to share.  Also, the crab appetizer in Le Bistro, different that I expected but very tasty and light.

Do not order pizza in La Cucina unless you live somewhere that doesn't have pizza.

Whats the matter with their pizza?   How do you screw up pizza?!

2 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Is this a serious question?  If so, I can name at least 10 restaurants within 20 miles of me that have perfected the art of screwing up pizza.

The question was "what was the matter with the pizza".   The follow up question was rhetorical.

46 minutes ago, goldmom said:

I ordered the pizza in La Cucina because I heard it was some of the best pizza at sea. It's certainly a lot better than the pizza I had in the buffet and beats the pizza at a lot of land-based joints I've been to. 

If you have a hankering for pizza while on a boat, then this pizza will fit your need. Trust me, it doesn't hold up against our local place, but it's way above the chain guys, and even some pizza I've had in Brooklyn. It's definitely better than that purposefully burnt clam pizza in CT. Sorry @PATRLR!

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

purposefully burnt clam pizza in CT

I'm not familiar with that.  Is it from one of the New Haven restaurants around Wooster St that I think are highly over-rated?

Edited by PATRLR

1 minute ago, PATRLR said:

I'm not familiar with that.  Is it from one of the New Haven restaurants around Wooster St that I think are highly over-rated?

Yes! We had one of those places up in Manchester (Frank Pepe's) when I lived there. I tried it a couple times trying to enjoy it. I never understood the attraction. 

Sorry about the distraction y'all, but pizza's important business!

From La Cucina, this was one of the best meals we had

Filetto Di Manzo Al Pepe Verde*  8 oz Beef Tenderloin, Green Peppercorn Sauce, Blue Cheese Ravioli 

I found that and the filet at LeBistro to be better than anything I had at Cagney's, not that Cagney's was bad, but I literally NEVER send food back and I had to at Cagney's due to an overcooked steak.

• Like 1

The pizza we ordered in La Cucina had a barely cooked and floppy crust.  Living in the NY/NJ area we are very serious about our pizza.!  LOL!  We were really expecting something great as La Cucina has pizza ovens, but all 5 of us found it disappointing on both the Breakaway and the Gem.

But, we really enjoyed the rest of our meal.  The pastas were delicious.

4 hours ago, goldmom said:

100% agree - the pizza at La Cucina is surprisingly NOT good.

The tableside guacamole at Los Lobos is soooooooooooooooooooooo good.

LoboGuac2.jpg

LoboGuac1.jpg

Edited by mearsfansinboise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mearsfansinboise said:

100% agree - the pizza at La Cucina is surprisingly NOT good.

The tableside guacamole at Los Lobos is soooooooooooooooooooooo good.

LoboGuac2.jpg

LoboGuac1.jpg

Definitely agree.  Forgot about the guac.  Definitely a hit!