Pinnacle Grill gratuities

coffee59

We have booked our complimentary dinner (that was received as a booking promotion), at the Pinnacle Grill.  Am I assuming correctly that a complimentary dinner given as a booking promotion would not include the 18% gratuity?  If not, would the  18% gratuity be charged to the cabin or would I need to bring cash? 

Also, from past experience, the beverage package was not honored at the Pinnacle Grill.  Is this still true?  

Thanks.

I have found (personal opinion here!) that the service in Pinnacle Grill since the start of HIA is not deserving of any additional tip.  Sometimes it is not even worth the included 18%.

There is no problem using the Beverage Pack in PG, but if they should say otherwise, then get up from the table, walk out to the closest bar and order there.  Do not put up with their inadequacies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, VMax1700 said:

I have found (personal opinion here!) that the service in Pinnacle Grill since the start of HIA is not deserving of any additional tip.  Sometimes it is not even worth the included 18%.

There is no problem using the Beverage Pack in PG, but if they should say otherwise, then get up from the table, walk out to the closest bar and order there.  Do not put up with their inadequacies. 

True that!  The service and lack of professionalism was so bad last time I was on the koningsdam I refused to go back.  I almost always tip even when it’s not warranted but no way was I going to reward that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we are doing Pinnacle with our HIA pkg. Am I  understanding gratuity is included with that. Correct?  If we get awesome service, we might tip extra, if not, will leave it as is.  We have only dined at Pinnacle 2x, service wasn't horrible, but not stellar either. 

They can be up or down. I like escargot so we are likely to dine there. Sad they got rid of crab legs though. Since the 18 percent is included, I really don't feel the need to add to that. How heavy do you want to tip? 20 percent is my norm. Tipping is such a fun subject here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Not that I would add anything above the 18% but I have had great service this year and yes, I have had  inadequate service this year.  

7 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Service on Eurodam in the Pinnacle last month was fantastic!  Different dining room manager is reason IMO.

I 100% agree!  Just as whomever is the Executive Chef in the Galley, it is those people who make a major difference as to the satisfaction of the guest to their dining experience.  

7 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Service on Eurodam in the Pinnacle last month was fantastic!  Different dining room manager is reason IMO.

And I had a different experience but it wasn’t for their lack of trying.  I just picked the wrong night and time and they were packed.  I now recommend the Pinnacle after 7:00.  They seem to be too busy for early dining 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

And I had a different experience but it wasn’t for their lack of trying.  I just picked the wrong night and time and they were packed.  I now recommend the Pinnacle after 7:00.  They seem to be too busy for early dining 

That’s ridiculous.  This is a pay extra restaurant and on top of it they now want to charge for an extra appetizer.  So classy.   Even more funny are those that think paying extra on top of it is warranted.  So not my problem if they can’t get it together before 7. Don’t take so many reservations or change your promos.  I refused to pick pinnacle for my 5 star freebies or the hia promo.  I’d rather go to Canaletto where the servers don’t  act like hal found them walking down the street.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wasn't expecting so many negative comments.  We will be on the Nieuw Statendam, 8:00PM first night.  And honestly, only because it is free.  

I agree that it all depends on the Executive Chef and Maître d'.  Hopefully they both expect excellence from their staff and our experience will be a great start to the cruise.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, coffee59 said:

I wasn't expecting so many negative comments.  We will be on the Nieuw Statendam, 8:00PM first night.  And honestly, only because it is free.  

I agree that it all depends on the Executive Chef and Maître d'.  Hopefully they both expect excellence from their staff and our experience will be a great start to the cruise.

I had a totally wonderful meal on the NS.  The food was excellent, the service was upbeat and proficient 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Good point here!  When onboard the Eurodam I asked which day would be the best for an early dining time and they pointed me to one of the port days.  They told me that on most sea days (we had alot) they are very busy (and they were).  We like to go on the first day, as they generally are not as busy, plus the main dining room always seems to be unorganized that first day, with people and staff getting settled in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, coffee59 said:

Please say Hi to Tudor for me!  He joined the NS a week ago as the new PG Manager.  He's a gem!

10 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I had a totally wonderful meal on the NS.  The food was excellent, the service was upbeat and proficient 

Me, too! I had two fantastic dinners and one fantastic lunch on the Nieuw Statendam in August. Food and service could not have been better. 
Personally, I think it may have had something to do with who was in charge on that cruise. She was in charge on another cruise on a different ship, and the restaurant ran to perfection there, too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, coffee59 said:

We'll be there on Thanksgiving lol.  It's also my birthday hence the steakhouse.  We'll make a turkey when we get back.  I'm a little nervous given the comments here, but we'll see what we get when we get it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Herschel Dirtwater said:

We'll be there on Thanksgiving lol.  It's also my birthday hence the steakhouse.  We'll make a turkey when we get back.  I'm a little nervous given the comments here, but we'll see what we get when we get it.

You’ll have a wonderful Birthday 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That’s ridiculous.  This is a pay extra restaurant and on top of it they now want to charge for an extra appetizer.  So classy.   Even more funny are those that think paying extra on top of it is warranted.  So not my problem if they can’t get it together before 7. Don’t take so many reservations or change your promos.  I refused to pick pinnacle for my 5 star freebies or the hia promo.  I’d rather go to Canaletto where the servers don’t  act like hal found them walking down the street.

The way I view it, it's a dinner restaurant with the same opening time every single evening, regardless of who is onboard the ship that day. Reservations are made and walk ups are accommodated. Exactly like any land restaurant. The often repeated stories about bad service the first day as the crew "get up to speed" make absolutely no sense to me; I agree with you. 

• Thanks 1