Rotterdam sailing into storm wednesday ??

RetiredRich

Yes, @breakironis correct. Captain did say they tried to arrange an alternate Florida port for Wednesday but obviously weren't able to. People with flights out using FlighEase will be rebooked.  Everyone on the ship is getting free internet to use if they don't already have it.  We'll keep you informed of any further announcements.  

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, boze9999 said:

Just a FYI - We're in Orlando for a conference and the airport (@4PM)

and amusement parks are closed Wed-Fri. 

Not true.  Disney updated at 3:45pm today 11/8 that the water park and mini golf was closed but theme parks are open.  They're continuing to monitor the storm.  I wouldn't be surprised if they closed on Thursday but that's not been announced.  Friday it's supposed to be mostly sunny, with isolated showers, so no reason to have theme parks closed.  Seriously doubt the airport would be closed on Friday either.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

Not true.  Disney updated at 3:45pm today 11/8 that the water park and mini golf was closed but theme parks are open.  They're continuing to monitor the storm.  I wouldn't be surprised if they closed on Thursday but that's not been announced.  Friday it's supposed to be mostly sunny, with isolated showers, so no reason to have theme parks closed.  Seriously doubt the airport would be closed on Friday either.

Sue/WDW1972

My information was from an Orlando news report. Things change obviously. All my colleagues trying to fly into MCO have cancelled flights from Wed afternoon to end of day Thursday....so far and for this moment in time

1 hour ago, boze9999 said:

My information was from an Orlando news report. Things change obviously. All my colleagues trying to fly into MCO have cancelled flights from Wed afternoon to end of day Thursday....so far and for this moment in time

I saw MCO is closing 4pm (Wed) and of course the airlines are free to cancel specific flights at their whim 😉  It's 9pm Tuesday now and Disney hasn't updated any closures - I'm assuming what one does the others (Universal, Sea World) will follow.  We should definitely know more "for sure" by Wednesday afternoon.  Wed/Thurs look poor for chances of flying into MCO.  Beyond that I would think it should be business as usual (except for the backlog of stranded passengers).

Hopefully Rotterdam can dock safely in Port Everglades on Thursday, which is what HAL is expecting.  It sucks for the people booked to sail on 11/9 but beyond anyone's control.  As someone who's primary home is in SW Florida (Ft Myers) I have had enough tropical storms/hurricanes at this point!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

Port Everglades closed the cruise ship terminal at 8 tonight  - I have not heard when they expect to reopen. Check email for updates, where HAL says not embarking before 2pm Thursday, not leaving until late Thursday evening at the earliest.

1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

Current position of Rotterdam (and Eurodam is the other green arrow) is just off the north coast of Cuba. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 10.11.17 AM.png

FYI  for anyone concerned about cruises, the weather here is deteriorating quickly. Just have to wait it out.

Just now, HappyInVan said:

I don't see the point of speculating about when the facilities re-open. We have to wait until the storm's landfall (Thursday 1am) and the extend of damage?

Correct. The Port has to be inspected before anyone can dock. Our current disembarkment times are between 10:45 and noon but that is subject to change since the Captain has not received confirmation yet from Port on times (as of noon Wednesday).  But if our last passenger is off at noon, that gives the crew only 2 hours to turn over so the 2pm embarkment is just an estimate at this point. I'd suggest getting to Port later than sooner as with disembarkment and traffic and chaos, it should be easier after most are boarded and things calm down. 

• Like 1

Reova, thanks much for letting us know what you've been told about your expected disembarkment time, its super helpful for us who hope to be boarding Rotterdam tomorrow. If you do have time to let us know of any updates you hear, we would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks again  

• Like 1

@sunbrookgal Just saw that on that 'other' site we aren't supposed to mention. They report Rotterdam position north of Cuba and below Key West. Report that a passenger in the Crow's Nest saw a raft in the water just before complete darkness. Coast Guard called. 13 people rescued. No mention of country of origin. Report that raft was pretty beat up. They are lucky to be rescued. 

• Like 1

As of 7 am, Rotterdam is located just  South of Fort Lauderdale heading due N at 8 knots. It is shown on the PE website as the first ship scheduled to dock (but that was supposed to be at 6 am).

All that would seem to bode well for disembarking and embarking today, but we have rec'd nothing official from HAL yet.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, keithhorton said:

As of 7 am, Rotterdam is located just  South of Fort Lauderdale heading due N at 8 knots. It is shown on the PE website as the first ship scheduled to dock (but that was supposed to be at 6 am).

All that would seem to bode well for disembarking and embarking today, but we have rec'd nothing official from HAL yet.

Hoping to hear an update rom someone on board

HAL is now saying that the ship is expected 3dock about 11 am, subject to confirmation from port officials. Guests should have rec'd info via email. It directs you to a telephone number for info. It also says to not head to the port before checking for an update about 11 am on their phone line, where embarking times will be provided.