Wine?

Mapomp

I’ve got (a very important) question 😂 I’m in the early stages of planning our first Regent cruise.  The only real question is the wine on board.  Is there a list somewhere of both bottles and by the glass?  Husband drinks almost exclusively Italian wine, so I’d like to be able to show him possible wines. 

Cheers!

Thank you!

50 minutes ago, Mapomp said:

I’ve got (a very important) question 😂 I’m in the early stages of planning our first Regent cruise.  The only real question is the wine on board.  Is there a list somewhere of both bottles and by the glass?  Husband drinks almost exclusively Italian wine, so I’d like to be able to show him possible wines. 

Cheers!

Thank you!

Mpomp……Regent seems to have an issue with publishing their wines. Wines on board tend to be “ok”, unless you go to their connoisseur wine list. We were on Splendor in March and doing another Splendor cruise, trans Atlantic, this coming March. We enjoy our wines and have found poured wines onboard to be “acceptable”. We usually order a nice bottle at dinners from the connoisseur list to pair with whatever we are having for dinner that evening.

We lived in B’Ville for 12 years. Wish there was a Dinosaur BBQ onboard. 

Gpilon, thanks for the reply! Dino on a ship would be fantastic!  I was hoping that on a Med. raise they’d have more of a focus on the Italian wines.  Wonder why they don’t publish what they have.

9 minutes ago, Mapomp said:

Gpilon, thanks for the reply! Dino on a ship would be fantastic!  I was hoping that on a Med. raise they’d have more of a focus on the Italian wines.  Wonder why they don’t publish what they have.

Lots of people on this Board can’t quite figure out why wines aren’t published either. It would be very helpful to those cruising at a particular time. 

We order Dino from Goldbelly…..always very good but miss the “ambiance” of the bar/restaurant. 

where is your cruise to?

Keep in mind,  you can always bring a few bottles with you.   Where are you going? We normally order off the list,  price point is very good.  They don’t, triple the price.  Talking to the head sommelier is helpful, they may have a special (only a couple left) and they want to move them out.  

5 hours ago, Mapomp said:

Cheers!

Thank you!

Here you go: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2872037-wine-lists-from-splendor/#comment-63744114.

Note, the wines on the complimentary list are usually served by the glass.

Dave

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DaveFr said:

Here you go: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2872037-wine-lists-from-splendor/#comment-63744114.

Note, the wines on the complimentary list are usually served by the glass.

Dave

Do you happen to know if these list are likely to be basically the same on all ships? 

Thanks

39 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Yes they are.

The wines onboard can vary from ship to ship depending on sourcing availability and where a ship may be taking on provisions.  

Ex; Villa Maria as well as Pouilly- Fuisse(sp) were AWOL the last several weeks on Mariner.  BUT we had a great red from Portugal-Escada, as well as a Red Blend from R Cellars

Edited by Kwaj girl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Boatmans Lady said:

Do you happen to know if these list are likely to be basically the same on all ships? 

Thanks

Actually, some variance because, as the referenced list shows, some are keyed to specific restaurants.  Only Splendor and Explorer have Pacific Rim, and Navigator (only) doesn't have Chartreuse.

I was disappointed to see that the list no longer indicates that Pacific Rim has the Gewurztraminer that we greatly enjoyed on all previous voyages on both Explorer and Splendor.  Perhaps that's temporary, but I will include it in my beverage request for Splendor in January and Explorer in March.  We much prefer it to Riesling.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Portolan said:

(snip)

I was disappointed to see that the list no longer indicates that Pacific Rim has the Gewurztraminer that we greatly enjoyed on all previous voyages on both Explorer and Splendor.  Perhaps that's temporary, but I will include it in my beverage request for Splendor in January and Explorer in March.  We much prefer it to Riesling.

@Portolan  First, I concur that a good dry Gewurtz is sensational!  Second, how do I make a wine request in advance of my sailing?  (Our ship will depart in a week, so I may have missed the window on this.)

--Marne

Edited by marne-c

12 minutes ago, marne-c said:

@Portolan  First, I concur that a good dry Gewurtz is sensational!  Second, how do I make a wine request in advance of my sailing?  (Our ship will depart in a week, so I may have missed the window on this.)

--Marne

Depending on where in the world you join the ship - the request should be submitted anywhere from 60-90 days prior to embarkation.  You need to specify exactly what you want .... and how much..... and it's possible that there will be a charge associated with your request depending on price and availability.

11 minutes ago, marne-c said:

--Marne

Marne,

Yes, you are probably too close to sailing for this to work.  However, the email address is Special Requests <specialrequests@rssc.com>.  I generally send something about 8 weeks out.  There is no guarantee that they'll come through, but my success rate was pretty good pre-covid and marginally successful since (no Gewurtz on Voyager in August).  The beverages you request have to be something in their normal supply chain, so no rare Belgian abbey ales. 

@Kwaj girl and @Portolan:  Thanks for the prompt replies!  And yes, it seems to be waaaay too late to request a wine, Gewürztraminer or otherwise, for our upcoming cruise.

I'm a RSSC newbie, and our cruise from Miami next Thursday on Navigator will be our first.  At 25 nights, it should provide a good introduction to the line.

--Marne 

23 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Yes they are.

23 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

The wines onboard can vary from ship to ship depending on sourcing availability and where a ship may be taking on provisions.  

Ex; Villa Maria as well as Pouilly- Fuisse(sp) were AWOL the last several weeks on Mariner.  BUT we had a great red from Portugal-Escada, as well as a Red Blend from R Cellars

20 hours ago, Portolan said:

Actually, some variance because, as the referenced list shows, some are keyed to specific restaurants.  Only Splendor and Explorer have Pacific Rim, and Navigator (only) doesn't have Chartreuse.

Thank you. I have printed the list off and use it as a starting base. 

We have quite a few sea days, so am looking forward to partaking in the odd glass or two. 

• Haha 1

Am still learning something new on CC about Regent even though we are almost Titanium.   Am very grateful and many thanks.

Was most disappointed on Mariner last month when I was served Santa Marghrita (spelling?)pinot Grigio First day and then told they had run out. When I questioned Arthur (the head sommelier) at dinner as I had seen it served at lunch he said it was only for one passenger who had requested it prior to the cruise.
 Later learned on CC others were served it throughout the cruise.  Was most disappointed in my favorite and often praised Regent.  Had I known it was still available I would have talked to F and B manager but I took him at his word.  Definitely a third world problem but I hate seeing tarnish on my shiny Regent.

Now, thanks to the folks here on CC I will request it ahead of our next cruise.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 3:00 AM, Portolan said:

We enjoy Alsatian wines and would like to see more Pinot Gris and Auxerrois on cruise ships, but perhaps these are not so well known in the States? MOH likes the more extreme Gewurtz - the Sonnenglanz (Bott Geyl) Furstenstum/Steingrubler (Albert Mann) - but I find the Italian and NZ Gewurtzes more palatable.

Interestingly , we went to an Alsace wine tasting in York last night presented by Jean Trimbach, and were disappointed to be served a Pinot Gris and four Rieslings - not a Gewurtz in sight. Even though three of the Rieslings were Grand Cru we were underwhelmed.  Perhaps Trimbach can’t get rid of its Rieslings!

On 11/9/2022 at 6:11 PM, marne-c said:

@Kwaj girl and @Portolan:  Thanks for the prompt replies!  And yes, it seems to be waaaay too late to request a wine, Gewürztraminer or otherwise, for our upcoming cruise.

I'm a RSSC newbie, and our cruise from Miami next Thursday on Navigator will be our first.  At 25 nights, it should provide a good introduction to the line.

--Marne 

Well if there is any onboard (and you haven't drunk it all 😜😜) ask them to save us a couple of bottles as we get on as you get off. Oh, and if you get time, I would really appreciate it if you were able to post your thoughts on the Navigator and your ports of call, especially the Caribbean ones. Thank you and enjoy your cruise.

I have been disappointed with several of the wines that were offered me (and I am no connoisseur) but I did discover a red and a white that I enjoy. Every time I sit down at a meal, I request the specific wine that I like. They are always happy to accommodate me.

• Like 1