Semi Live Ovation 16th Nov b2b Our Trip to a Land Down Under

kernow

Yes, we've decided to get off tomorrow and isolate until feeling better in Sydney. Don't really fancy spending another 7 days stuck in the cabin.

I've spent most of the day looking at hotels and have just booked the Rydges Darling Square Apartment Hotel. Hope it will be OK. We're thinking that in a few days time we'll be able to get out and about and explore Sydney a bit.

I've emailed our TA in the UK to see if we can get a refund on the next cruise. The ship are suggesting we will only get a FCC but the policy on the website suggests a full refund so we will try.

I'll keep updating here for the rest of the trip. Fingers crossed we can still make the most of our time in Australia.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kernow said:

This morning I woke up feeling a bit unwell, did a covid test and unfortunately it was positive, Mark is negative at the moment. 

I've been down to Medical, it was fairly chaotic down there with a lot of other positive people.

Now back up in the cabin where I have to isolate for 7 days if we want to stay onboard. Mark is free to come and go as he pleases while he is negative. Just had a call from the guest service manager saying that they are disembarking all positive b2b tomorrow but they could try to get an exemption for us as international guests. Mark has gone down to talk to him to see what our options are. 

Not really sure what we are going to do at this moment.

So sorry to hear this, especially so far from home 

Hope all your symptoms are mild and Mark doesn't catch it 

You must be feeling awful.

I really enjoyed your posts as this is a dream holiday for us.  I hope you can continue to update us.

Can I ask if you've had covid before? 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sgmn said:

So sorry to hear this, especially so far from home 

Hope all your symptoms are mild and Mark doesn't catch it 

You must be feeling awful.

I really enjoyed your posts as this is a dream holiday for us.  I hope you can continue to update us.

Can I ask if you've had covid before? 

Yes, we both had covid back in April. Mark had virtually no symptoms and I felt like I do now for a couple of days and then much better. Fingers crossed it will be the same this time.

This cruise is slowly turning into a bit of a disaster, for the last hour or so there has been no water in the cabin, judging by the FB posts it's the same for all cabins right across the ship!

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, kernow said:

Yes, we both had covid back in April. Mark had virtually no symptoms and I felt like I do now for a couple of days and then much better. Fingers crossed it will be the same this time.

This cruise is slowly turning into a bit of a disaster, for the last hour or so there has been no water in the cabin, judging by the FB posts it's the same for all cabins right across the ship!

Thank you, we also had it last Feb and I was hoping that along with Jabs we would have some protection but it doesn't look like it.

I can feel your disappointment as we want to do Australia from the UK 

I hope you get the refund sorted and can enjoy some time on land in Australia 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Coralc said:

That is awful! I am so sorry that your dream vacation has been interrupted. I hope you feel better soon. And Covid refunds are supposed to be through the end of the year, so I hope they make it right for you. 

Mark went down earlier and showed the Guest Service Manager the policy which someone kindly posted in the other thread.

I've now just received a letter stating that they will provide 100% cruise refund😀. Don't know how long it will take but at least it should cover the hotel in Sydney.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, kernow said:

Mark went down earlier and showed the Guest Service Manager the policy which someone kindly posted in the other thread.

I've now just received a letter stating that they will provide 100% cruise refund😀. Don't know how long it will take but at least it should cover the hotel in Sydney.

That's good news! I am glad that @reallyitsmema was able to help with the policy. It will work out. It is sad that you are away from home, and not feeling well. But Sydney has a lot of wonderful things to do! When you feel better. ☺️ You can get a 3-day or longer Opal pass and go all over on the trains, ferries and buses. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh so sorry to hear that! I recently got covid on a Carnival cruise so I feel your pain.

I hope you're feeling much better soon and can enjoy some time in Sydney. If you need any suggestions of things to do, we're here to help!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kernow said:

This morning I woke up feeling a bit unwell, did a covid test and unfortunately it was positive, Mark is negative at the moment. 

I've been down to Medical, it was fairly chaotic down there with a lot of other positive people.

Now back up in the cabin where I have to isolate for 7 days if we want to stay onboard. Mark is free to come and go as he pleases while he is negative. Just had a call from the guest service manager saying that they are disembarking all positive b2b tomorrow but they could try to get an exemption for us as international guests. Mark has gone down to talk to him to see what our options are. 

Not really sure what we are going to do at this moment.

I am so sorry to hear this. Get well soon. 

• Thanks 1

So, so sorry to come on here just now & read this.  I’ve really enjoyed reading about your trip - I feel terrible for you!!

We flew in yesterday from Perth & I’m lying in bed looking out the hotel window across to the Opera House & overlooking the cruise terminal waiting for the ship to arrive, been awake since just after 2am unfortunately

An unbelievable shame for you having travelled all this way, glad at least a full refund is being offered

I think you’ve made the right decision though, you should hopefully be a little more comfortable in an apartment than in the ships cabin & fingers crossed your husband might not come down with it

I’m a little concerned but I knew the risks

Unfortunately we are having our ? 4th wave here in Aus - we did sail on Spectrum out of Singapore in June with no issues.

I’m immunocompromised although I didn’t know (or wasn’t) when I booked this 12 - 18mths ago

I wore a mask on the plane & I will wear one today & in public indoors areas on ship & will probably ask my husband to as well and hope for the best

We are in a suite so have meals in CK & room service option I believe so can avoid the WJ / MDR & perhaps lower the risks a little

We live in a rural area & haven’t caught C19 to date, both our teens in the house caught it but it’s quite a big house & I was able to separate them at other end & just throw their meals down the hall!

My husband has 3 jabs & Ive had 4 so we’ve really done all we can

We’ll go, take some precautions & hope for the best

So, again, I’m so very sorry for you for how this has turned out

I am wishing you a super speedy recovery & hope you are able to get out soon & try & enjoy your last few days before heading home

Safe travels xx

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BecAus said:

So, so sorry to come on here just now & read this.  I’ve really enjoyed reading about your trip - I feel terrible for you!!

We flew in yesterday from Perth & I’m lying in bed looking out the hotel window across to the Opera House & overlooking the cruise terminal waiting for the ship to arrive, been awake since just after 2am unfortunately

An unbelievable shame for you having travelled all this way, glad at least a full refund is being offered

I think you’ve made the right decision though, you should hopefully be a little more comfortable in an apartment than in the ships cabin & fingers crossed your husband might not come down with it

I’m a little concerned but I knew the risks

Unfortunately we are having our ? 4th wave here in Aus - we did sail on Spectrum out of Singapore in June with no issues.

I’m immunocompromised although I didn’t know (or wasn’t) when I booked this 12 - 18mths ago

I wore a mask on the plane & I will wear one today & in public indoors areas on ship & will probably ask my husband to as well and hope for the best

We are in a suite so have meals in CK & room service option I believe so can avoid the WJ / MDR & perhaps lower the risks a little

We live in a rural area & haven’t caught C19 to date, both our teens in the house caught it but it’s quite a big house & I was able to separate them at other end & just throw their meals down the hall!

My husband has 3 jabs & Ive had 4 so we’ve really done all we can

We’ll go, take some precautions & hope for the best

So, again, I’m so very sorry for you for how this has turned out

I am wishing you a super speedy recovery & hope you are able to get out soon & try & enjoy your last few days before heading home

Safe travels xx

Can't give you a wave as we are on the other side of the ship facing the bridge.😂.

I had a really good night's sleep and don't feel too bad this morning. I'm sure you will be fine, I know I was just unlucky, as soon as we heard about our wait staff we knew there was a fair chance of catching it even though we'd both had our fourth booster jabs about a month before we flew out.

We all know the risks, covid is just part of cruising now, we've done 3 since the re start and been fine, it's just disappointing that it had to happen on this one. 

They've told us to wait in the cabin this morning and all the covid people will be collected and taken off the ship last, sometime after 9.

I hope all those coming on this next cruise will let us know how you are getting on, I'd love to hear what I'm missing😁.

• Like 4

Oh no.

what terrible news.

but I think you are doing the right thing.

At least you will be able to get out and about.

We will be extra careful. It is a shame we will be on the NZ cruise as we could have shown you around. 
take care.

karon.

• Thanks 1

Hi Julie, 

Sorry that your cruise had to end this way. Hope you recover quickly.🤞

I caught it at the end of our Norway and Iceland cruise in the summer, my third time unfortunately, but like you say we just have to live with it. 

Looking at the positives, you now have more time to experience Sydney and the surrounding area!

I know there are plenty of people who will have ideas for you both and I'll throw in a couple we loved when we spent a week there.

The Sydney bridge climb is a unique experience, if heights are not an issue, as it was one of our most memorable activities which we hopefully plan on doing again in just over a year.

A day trip to the blue mountains and featherdale wildlife park. An excellent day out with amazing scenery and the park has many native animals to get up close to. 

Hunter valley wineries- no explanation needed!😄

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes. 

We are now settled in Sydney and I'm already feeling much better.

Leaving the ship yesterday was simple, we were collected from the cabin just before 10 by a member of staff. She also collected people from a couple of nearby cabins and took us all down to deck 2 in the forward lifts. We were walked out straight onto the dockside where all the covid peoples luggage was waiting. There looked to be quite a few suitcases. We never had to go through customs or into the terminal building just through a gap in the fencing and straight onto the concorse with arriving passengers.

We made our way to the Upper level and into the taxi queue. We had masks on but I did feel bad getting in a taxi.

Today we've been out walking around Sydney, through Hyde Park, The Domain and down to Mrs Macquarie's Point then round to the Opera House and Circular Quay and back along George Street. I stayed outside the whole time and a distance from everyone but it was so nice to be in the open air and the city is so beautiful.

We've been researching and think we'll go to Manly, Bondi and Taronga Zoo then maybe a bit further afield. I don't think we'll have any problem finding things to do. I'm terrified of heights so won't be the bridge climb for me😲

IMG_20221127_111329202.jpg

IMG_20221127_111944591.jpg

20221127_121629.jpg

20221127_122154.jpg

IMG_20221127_145416477.jpg

IMG_20221127_153245788.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kernow said:

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes. 

We are now settled in Sydney and I'm already feeling much better.

Leaving the ship yesterday was simple, we were collected from the cabin just before 10 by a member of staff. She also collected people from a couple of nearby cabins and took us all down to deck 2 in the forward lifts. We were walked out straight onto the dockside where all the covid peoples luggage was waiting. There looked to be quite a few suitcases. We never had to go through customs or into the terminal building just through a gap in the fencing and straight onto the concorse with arriving passengers.

We made our way to the Upper level and into the taxi queue. We had masks on but I did feel bad getting in a taxi.

Today we've been out walking around Sydney, through Hyde Park, The Domain and down to Mrs Macquarie's Point then round to the Opera House and Circular Quay and back along George Street. I stayed outside the whole time and a distance from everyone but it was so nice to be in the open air and the city is so beautiful.

We've been researching and think we'll go to Manly, Bondi and Taronga Zoo then maybe a bit further afield. I don't think we'll have any problem finding things to do. I'm terrified of heights so won't be the bridge climb for me😲

IMG_20221127_111329202.jpg

IMG_20221127_111944591.jpg

20221127_121629.jpg

20221127_122154.jpg

IMG_20221127_145416477.jpg

IMG_20221127_153245788.jpg

Lovely pics and definitely a much option than spending the week shut up in your cabin.

• Like 3

Loved reading your recap of the cruise!  We had Aussie friends on the sailing also, that she tested positive for covid too.  We are doing a B2B starting January 24th, I pray neither one of us come down with it while on the 1st cruise!  I would suggest doing the Hop On Hop Off bus, it was a great way to see the city!  Make sure to stop at the Chinese Gardens, very beautiful.  You can also take the HOHO bus to Bondi Beach!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tribefan said:

Loved reading your recap of the cruise!  We had Aussie friends on the sailing also, that she tested positive for covid too.  We are doing a B2B starting January 24th, I pray neither one of us come down with it while on the 1st cruise!  I would suggest doing the Hop On Hop Off bus, it was a great way to see the city!  Make sure to stop at the Chinese Gardens, very beautiful.  You can also take the HOHO bus to Bondi Beach!!

Is your second cruise going to NZ? I think it was their government that insisted that the b2b passengers were tested.I know earlier in the week they said we wouldn't have to be. It was certainly the NZ authorities who insisted on 7 days quarantine, it's only 5 days for Australia cruises. Hopefully it will have cleared a bit by the time you go, just my opinion but I think the staff were probably passing it around a bit.

Feeling back to normal today, currently sitting in the sunshine at Bondi Beach.

• Like 8