Is Carnival ever going to change up itineraries?

Riles34

I have been cruising with Carnival for many years and we used to hit up some beautiful islands that they don't sail to anymore (VG, Tortola, St Vincent etc.). Now every time I look for a cruise its the same itineraries, eastern and western, same ports, different ship or departure port, and multiple Carnival ships together at these ports. Of course I don't mind going to the same destinations here and there but why the drastic change? They have one sailing listed for St Lucia over the next two years and its a 14 day from Baltimore. Is it due to fueling at these ports? Does anyone else feel they are forcing some of us to look at other cruise lines? MSC has many options for unique destinations at a reasonable price. I really enjoy Carnival and have zero complaints minus the Itineraries!

• Like 7

Carnival is pivoting to attract more blue and red cards than ever before. Those guests are totally fine going to places like Nassau, Grand Turk, and Cozumel. Maybe they’ll add back more itineraries in the future. As it is you pretty much have to go on the Journeys cruises if you want interesting ports of call.

• Like 5

Carnival's Journey cruises go to different destinations.

There are reasons ships leaving from the same port go to the same destinations. It's all about turn around and fitting in as many cruises in as possible.

Why make a 4 day cruise a 6 or 7 day cruise just to go to another beach? Have 2 cruises at 4 days instead. 2 sold out cruises is better than 1.

• Like 3

The proliferation of ships among all of the cruise lines means more ships wanting to go to the same ports, and those ports can only support a fixed number.  Thus the proliferation of cruise line created ports.  And the larger the ships become, the fewer ports that can handle them.  That’s why Oasis class have such limited itineraries.  As ships become larger and huger, the more rigid the itineraries will become.  EM

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

The proliferation of ships among all of the cruise lines means more ships wanting to go to the same ports, and those ports can only support a fixed number.  Thus the proliferation of cruise line created ports.  And the larger the ships become, the fewer ports that can handle them.  That’s why Oasis class have such limited itineraries.  As ships become larger and huger, the more rigid the itineraries will become.  EM

And the cruise business will continue to segment itself: mass market v. specialty.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Riles34 said:

I have been cruising with Carnival for many years and we used to hit up some beautiful islands that they don't sail to anymore (VG, Tortola, St Vincent etc.). Now every time I look for a cruise its the same itineraries, eastern and western, same ports, different ship or departure port, and multiple Carnival ships together at these ports. Of course I don't mind going to the same destinations here and there but why the drastic change? They have one sailing listed for St Lucia over the next two years and its a 14 day from Baltimore. Is it due to fueling at these ports? Does anyone else feel they are forcing some of us to look at other cruise lines? MSC has many options for unique destinations at a reasonable price. I really enjoy Carnival and have zero complaints minus the Itineraries!

The Caribbean used to be our place to sail, now it's way down on our list. Love St. Thomas and San Juan will sail there again in the future ( if Carnival ever goes back to San Juan ).Also will go to HMC, Grand Turk and Amber Cove for beach and pool days only. Wife likes Mahogany Bay. Our last  cruises have been to Alaska twice, Panama Canal, Hawaii, and a Christmas B2B to the Caribbean  just to experience the holidays at sea. Our future cruises are to Alaska next April and a transatlantic next October. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

another problem with these bigger ships is some ports want to ban these bigger ships. Key west tried to limit the number of cruise ships, Bar Harbor just made the news about reducing the number of ships.

• Like 1

We sail out of Galveston and its the same ports they've been going to for as long as we've been cruising with them. I have noticed that they've added some new iteneraries but its just a new shuffle of the same old ports and more and more they are adding Puerta Maya, that is not a addition.  These new ones are never iteneraries we'd be interested in going on.  I don't mind there being one port out of 3 that we don't care for, that's just a fun day on a less crowded ship, but all 3 ports, no thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Carnival is pivoting to attract more blue and red cards than ever before. Those guests are totally fine going to places like Nassau, Grand Turk, and Cozumel. Maybe they’ll add back more itineraries in the future. As it is you pretty much have to go on the Journeys cruises if you want interesting ports of call.

Not really. You have to understand that with any large fleet of ships, what is realistic. Just like other giants such as Norwegian and Royal, they're going to make heavy use of ports like Nassau and Cozumel. They are easy to get to, they can support a lot of (large) ships, and yes red and blues will go there. What would the alternative be?

Carnival also has journeys for those cruisers who want something a little different. I think the OP's question is interesting, because some ports are quite absent. I know some will immediately go into the immature "it's a cutback". Looking at Royal's long itineraries, a lot of similar ports are also absent there. Could be a number of factors.

• Like 1

We generally sail Carnival with friends and family and the time together is a priority over ports. We DW and I sail alone we usually sail other lines for more exotic itineraries. Like next summer we sail on RCCL (not my favorite) because they are the only line sailing to Bermuda from Florida. We will still do long weekend cruises on Carnival by ourselves, since it's still a way better value than doing a land based long weekend here. However, we will re-evaluate our feelings about Carnival after our 8 day on Spirit coming up. I'm not liking what I'm hearing but since people are more vocal about complaints than praise, we will judge first-hand.

One does not cruise Carnival for destination cruises except in a few instances. If you're taking a cruise and you're staying on the ship when is port then that's just a reflection of Carnival going to the same boring ports and someone going  along for that same ride again for some unknown reason. Move to HAL, Princess, Celebrity or MSC if you want to get out of the basement destination wise. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MichiganFisherman said:

One does not cruise Carnival for destination cruises except in a few instances. If you're taking a cruise and you're staying on the ship when is port then that's just a reflection of Carnival going to the same boring ports and someone going  along for that same ride again for some unknown reason. Move to HAL, Princess, Celebrity or MSC if you want to get out of the basement destination wise. 

I'm going to say it a different way.  For the most part, Carnival is a 'vacation' company targeting folks for the occasional 3-7 day getaway.  They are not designed to be a 'world traveler' company with one or two exceptions (e.g. Pride in Europe).  Carnival Corporation has other lines that do that wonderfully.  Of course some will complain that those lines are populated with nothing but 'old people' who go to bed at 10p.  Well, guess what age group has the time and resources to be 'world travelers'.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, MichiganFisherman said:

During the summer months, MSC goes to the same boring ports as the big 3 (Nassau, Cozumel, Jamaica) Nothing exotic, nothing new. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t cruised with them. 

34 minutes ago, Theosprey247 said:

During the summer months, MSC goes to the same boring ports as the big 3 (Nassau, Cozumel, Jamaica) Nothing exotic, nothing new. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t cruised with them. 

They only have a handful of ships here in the USA for that reason and itinerary. We are referring to other worldly destinations that require leaving from a foreign port and where the majority of their fleet are at. 90% of carnivals fleet do the same boring caribbean and Mexican itineraries.  I'm booked on Carnivals 12 day European out of London in August but then again .... you have to fly to get to the better itineraries which are few on Carnival.

2 hours ago, MichiganFisherman said:

They only have a handful of ships here in the USA for that reason and itinerary. We are referring to other worldly destinations that require leaving from a foreign port and where the majority of their fleet are at. 90% of carnivals fleet do the same boring caribbean and Mexican itineraries.  I'm booked on Carnivals 12 day European out of London in August but then again .... you have to fly to get to the better itineraries which are few on Carnival.

Yes, but the OP was talking about the Caribbean. 

8 hours ago, Riles34 said:

Funny you should mention St. Lucia by name as a place Carnival does not go often enough.  DH and I have been on ship that docked there at least a half-dozen times (mostly on Carnival, but other ships as well), and it is one of our least favorite Caribbean islands.  We have found the locals to be extremely aggressive.  On one stop therel I tripped over a curb trying to get away from some of them and split open my shin. The ship's doctor had to put in several stitches.  I guess the silver lining was that I got one of those lovely port days where I enjoyed the empty ship. 🙂

8 hours ago, jjzblla said:

We sail out of Galveston and its the same ports they've been going to for as long as we've been cruising with them. I have noticed that they've added some new iteneraries but its just a new shuffle of the same old ports and more and more they are adding Puerta Maya, that is not a addition.  These new ones are never iteneraries we'd be interested in going on.  I don't mind there being one port out of 3 that we don't care for, that's just a fun day on a less crowded ship, but all 3 ports, no thank you.

You do realize that Galveston takes too long to get to any other places right?  Its why an 8 day cruise goes to the Bahamas and Key West.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Not really. You have to understand that with any large fleet of ships, what is realistic. Just like other giants such as Norwegian and Royal, they're going to make heavy use of ports like Nassau and Cozumel. They are easy to get to, they can support a lot of (large) ships, and yes red and blues will go there. What would the alternative be?

Carnival also has journeys for those cruisers who want something a little different. I think the OP's question is interesting, because some ports are quite absent. I know some will immediately go into the immature "it's a cutback". Looking at Royal's long itineraries, a lot of similar ports are also absent there. Could be a number of factors.

Journeys are great for those that have the time. I would love a 14 day cruise but my family and work time off do not call for it. I wouldn't mind the standard 2 islands and 2 other "exotic" ports. 

I just don't get how other cruise lines are making these "exotic" stops and Carnival just has to keep doing the same boring thing.

7 hours ago, MichiganFisherman said:

I understand and agree, Just 20 years ago they did do those stops. Now its all about business (which I get) to do quick and efficient. 

6 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

From the northeast I am a winter cruiser. Get out of the -20 degrees! MSC has a great 8 day with 8 islands that Carnival goes to 3 of them. Just wish Carnival would throw in a random place to mix up the itineraries. 

2 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Funny you should mention St. Lucia by name as a place Carnival does not go often enough.  DH and I have been on ship that docked there at least a half-dozen times (mostly on Carnival, but other ships as well), and it is one of our least favorite Caribbean islands.  We have found the locals to be extremely aggressive.  On one stop therel I tripped over a curb trying to get away from some of them and split open my shin. The ship's doctor had to put in several stitches.  I guess the silver lining was that I got one of those lovely port days where I enjoyed the empty ship. 🙂

Glad you were ok. St Lucia's Herod's 8 hour tour all over the island and the volcano baths is still the best excursion I have ever done in the 12 cruise I have done. You kind of made my point, Carnival has one sailing to St Lucia which would be a different stop. Everyone has a different experience on each port.

7 minutes ago, Riles34 said:

Journeys are great for those that have the time. I would love a 14 day cruise but my family and work time off do not call for it. I wouldn't mind the standard 2 islands and 2 other "exotic" ports. 

I just don't get how other cruise lines are making these "exotic" stops and Carnival just has to keep doing the same boring thing.

Losing the San Juan option was a pretty big deal.  Another factor was the millions put into strategically positioned private ports (e.g. Amber Cove and Mahogany Bay). 

I do remember two particularly interesting  8 day cruises from the late 2000s: Miracle from FLL; 3 stops including St. Maarten, St. Lucia and St. Kitts and Freedom from FLL; Cozumel, Limon CR, and Colon Panama. Great trips.

Personally I'd be thrilled if the designated one of the ships a 'traveler'.  Perhaps Sunshine could assume that role post Charleston.  Bit it seems to be going the other way, doesn't it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

Another factor was the millions put into strategically positioned private ports (e.g. Amber Cove and Mahogany Bay). 

I agree that the Carnival owned / managed ports is a big factor in where they go. In addition to Amber Cove, Mahogany Bay, Grand Turk and private islands, they are spending millions on a new port at Freeport. I’m sure that will become a stop on many future itineraries since it is close to Florida ports and will save fuel.

Time and distance are also a main factor. Most people want a cruise of 7 days (or less) that leaves on Saturday or Sunday. There are only so many ports you can sail to and return in a week or less. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Riles34 said:

Glad you were ok. St Lucia's Herod's 8 hour tour all over the island and the volcano baths is still the best excursion I have ever done in the 12 cruise I have done. You kind of made my point, Carnival has one sailing to St Lucia which would be a different stop. Everyone has a different experience on each port.

Our excursion on our first trip to St. Lucia was great, too.  We had a private tour of the island by a great guide,  who chased away anyone we didn't want to talk to.  We also did a fun scuba excursion on a return trip.  But after that, we had literally done everything there is to do in St. Lucia except walk around town (and hence my trip and fall).