Masks are back

adoctor

4 hours ago, adoctor said:

I understand that mask wearing (indoors) is required once again on Odyssey. This includes tenders and tour buses.

This appears to be an (over?) reaction to a significant number of cases on a Carnival ship in Australia last week.

I will check with friends we know on Odyssey who are in Auckland at the moment. I do know that as an Australian we can be  very strict when we have a new wave through but don't judge countries on your own judgement. Here in Western Australia we are just being warned to take more precautions due to increased infection rates. I don't see how this is to be something to blame Seabourn about.

P.S. I have sent the email but it is very late there and I am off to bed soon so it will take a few hours to get a reply.

Edited by frantic36

I have heard back from a friend on Odyssey. Apparently they were told they would have to wear masks on Norfolk Island but they weren't able to port there due to big swells so that didn't happen. There has been no requirement in New Zealand ports so no mask wearing.

Whether that will change when they get to Australia since we are experiencing another Covid wave, they have no idea as yet.

• Thanks 2

Okay I think I might have a possible solution this rumour. A friend on Venture emailed today and mentioned that with all Covid passengers out of quarantine that all mask restrictions for crew and passengers are lifted. And it makes sense that sailing down to Antarctica they would want to extinguish Covid spreading quickly. 

So maybe this was mask requirements on Venture not Odyssey?

I was just notified that on Odyssey they have just been told that as from tomorrow they need to wear masks when indoors and on public transport. So it is obviously an Australian government requirement that has been put in place due to our current Covid surge. 

No blaming Seabourn here as the rules always are determined by the current rules of the country they are visiting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I was just notified that on Odyssey they have just been told that as from tomorrow they need to wear masks when indoors and on public transport. So it is obviously an Australian government requirement that has been put in place due to our current Covid surge. 

No blaming Seabourn here as the rules always are determined by the current rules of the country they are visiting.

It’s not an Australian government mandate (yet), but a decision from Carnival.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/63cb4890-bca2-46df-af69-99af50ea8e60

They are going above and beyond the current rules of the country. 

Floris 

Edited by florisdekort
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

It’s not an Australian government mandate (yet), but a decision from Carnival.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/63cb4890-bca2-46df-af69-99af50ea8e60

Floris 

Thanks Floris. My bad assuming otherwise. I guess it is due to bad publicity due to Majestic Princess. Not surprising really when reading comments posted on some newspaper sites that are very negative towards cruises in general. Carnival and all cruise lines want to keep cruises being allowed to sail here in Australia. 

I have heard various State governments are encouraging mask wearing again on public transport and in crowded indoor spaces.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1

Two weeks ago, Australia's biggest three states recorded 27,000 cases. Today's figures are 58,000 cases. We are in the early stages of a 4th wave and it is not surprising that Carnival, and probably others, would want to do everything to keep their businesses operating.

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I mentioned earlier masking is being strongly recommended but not mandated currently in Australia on public transport or anywhere apart from health services. So I guess your driver chose not to worry. Cruise lines want to keep sailing here and so they don't want bad publicity so I understand their caution as we were late here in Australia to accept a return to cruising.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phillipahain said:

Currently on Odyssey and as of yesterday in Gisborne we were ordered to wear masks inside and outside of the ship 

Funny but the driver on our Panoramic  tour of Napier and  out to Haverhill North etc dud not wear one 

Could you clarify your statement about being "ordered to wear masks inside and outside of the ship"?  When you say "outside", do you mean masks are required of pax when pax are on ship excursions (taken via the port), or do you mean pax must wear masks even when "outside" but still on the ship (e.g., walking around or sitting on deck)?

On 11/21/2022 at 11:57 AM, phillipahain said:

Yes in the ship and on tours ...Captain ordered it 3 days ago saying it was required by NZ 

cannot find a source for NZ (or Australia) requiring it. Only articles like this which says it's Carnival doing it "out of an abundance of caution". 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/mask-mandates-return-on-cruise-ships-in-new-zeland-and-australia/JHERKBOFSVETRC3OTZZUVPG7UE/

does anyone have a link to anything which says that this response is mandated by either of those two governments? 

10 hours ago, sanne said:

No mask mandates in any states in Australia except some medical facilities. Some states have recommendations for masks on pubic transport. Rarely see anyone with a mask except when I have a doctor or hospital visit. 

Australia requires masking on board cruise ships IF the percentage of people (pax + crew) exceeds a certain number. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sanne said:

Thanks Florisdekort. Where did you find this information? We are on Odyssey soon and would like to see official information about masking and Covid testing before embarking. 

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-07/18_July_Eastern_Seaboard_Cruise_Protocols.pdf

Check “Tier 3 protocols”. 

9EEAE6E9-734B-4E43-A5D4-0648F2748CD5.jpeg

We're on Odyssey at the moment coming to the end of the 65day Pacific Voyage and yes we're wearing masks, passengers and crew.  I understand it's an Australian requirement whilst in their waters and with ports of call coming up.

It's really not a great problem, everyone is just resigned to it (and there have been some outbreaks of Covid, not a mega problem as such, but we personally know a couple of people who have succumbed.  Such a shame)

1 minute ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Helen, hopefully you are not using "succumbed" in the sense of "to die from an illness".

🤣😂

Oh heck, me and my wording!  No!  They've just got it and feel absolutely fine (annoying for them as they are missing a few days of pre disembarkation fun and ports in Australia)