The future of Azamara Circle Program

andrcan

After Azamara Circle Program Independence Day of February 1, 2023, what sort of program changes would one envision that might work better in retaining the loyalists and making incentives for new guests to come back? Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

I would be very happy with some sort of half step between Discoverer Plus and Platinum. There is a huge gap between the two that we will never bridge, no matter how long we cruise. 

There is a big gap between the two in terms of loyalty points required, but if you drill down, the benefits really aren't that different. 

Overall I can't think of anything major to improve the program. The benefits are nice to have, but I think it's the atmosphere onboard and the friendliness of the crew that have the guests coming back. 

Phil 

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, wjfan417 said:

I’d like to see the included bag of laundry apply per person instead of per cabin. My husband and I have the same status-why shouldn’t we each get a complimentary bag?

Diana

Totally agree after all if you are a single person in a stateroom you still get one bag per seven days.

• Like 7

Having just made Discoverer Plus, I have to agree with all of the above. I'll never live to see Platinum, and the perks aren't that great. That gives me a major incentive to "jump ship" and sail with someone else SO, Azamara, throw us a few bones, please! Increased laundry, deep discounts on purchased booze or packages, boosted percentage discounts on future voyages or ship excursions, discounts on specialty dining. There a lot of little things that can be done to boost loyalty, above and beyond where we all currently.

One thing I would like to see is loyalty discounts not being linked to onboard bookings, most cruise lines we’ve dealt with offer some sort of loyalty discount or bonus whenever you book. Admittedly the discounts probably are more generous than some offer but linking it to onboard bookings is restrictive. Onboard credit and maybe a drinks package would make more sense for onboard bookings.

Did talk to one of the loyalty managers on a recent cruise they’ve not been told what’s happening but didn’t think that initially there would be any major changes or reduction of perks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

I’d like to see the included bag of laundry apply per person instead of per cabin. My husband and I have the same status-why shouldn’t we each get a complimentary bag?

Diana

I never understood this. I get more laundry then a married couple. Makes no sense, 

• Like 1

I agree with Riocca, it would be nice to get a loyalty discount when booking, no matter when, where or who you book with.  On occasion in the past we have purchased a future cruise certificate on board, which for the cost of the reduced deposit entitled us to our relevant loyalty discount for a booking made at a later date.  The down side to this was that certain travel agents would not accept them.

One change I would like to see is free internet for the entire voyage, at least for one person if not for everyone in the cabin, as a reward for loyalty. I’d start it at Discoverer Plus or the theoretical new level. Free internet is becoming more the norm on lots of other lines. 

• Like 5

I would not focus conversations on the internet - that avoids them looking at what they really should be talking about for where they are pitching the line - free internet for everyone (OK I know they have had infrastructure issues, but that excuse has had its 7th birthday.......)

• Like 8

The way that it's always been explained to me when I've asked the question is that the laundry departments don't have the capacity to do two bags of free laundry for every cabin on the ship. I have no idea if this is the case, but it sounds feasible. Same with the wifi. The system as it stands can't cope with everyone having unlimited access. I know on my two most recent cruises the internet had the worst performance that I can remember. And this was two different ships. Slow and kept cutting out. Maybe there were lots of free unlimited wifi deal guests on the ships?

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The way that it's always been explained to me when I've asked the question is that the laundry departments don't have the capacity to do two bags of free laundry for every cabin on the ship. I have no idea if this is the case, but it sounds feasible. Same with the wifi. The system as it stands can't cope with everyone having unlimited access. I know on my two most recent cruises the internet had the worst performance that I can remember. And this was two different ships. Slow and kept cutting out. Maybe there were lots of free unlimited wifi deal guests on the ships?

Phil 

I think Azamara are going to have to upgrade their internet systems soon. In the past five or so years, we have cruised with other lines with similar ships and similar guest numbers, supplying free internet to all customers, and providing a faster and more reliable service than Azamara has. 

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I think Azamara are going to have to upgrade their internet systems soon. In the past five or so years, we have cruised with other lines with similar ships and similar guest numbers, supplying free internet to all customers, and providing a faster and more reliable service than Azamara has. 

As a discoverer member internet is reasonably priced but not when it is unreliable. Very disappointed with the service as others have said. Some of us still work on our vacations. There are better services available then what is being used but the cost for ships to upgrade their internet isn’t cheap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

As a discoverer member internet is reasonably priced but not when it is unreliable. Very disappointed with the service as others have said. Some of us still work on our vacations. There are better services available then what is being used but the cost for ships to upgrade their internet isn’t cheap. 

The biggest Azamara cruiser by far in terms of $$$ spent will not cruise to certain areas of the world (eg Norway for its high latitude) because of the spotty Internet service. They are a day trader by profession and it doesn't work for him. I'm not sure what he'd have made of Journey and Quest around Greece and Croatia either!  But you are correct. It's a huge expense to sort it out.  

Phil 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Belfastman said:

Yes but surely that's no different to two people in a cabin who always pay "double" for the cabin and one bag of laundry.

I thin k it is a huge difference since you aren't getting the double food, alcohol, electricity, water, and such (generally, I know some folks who can put both away). 

15 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

I don't fully buy that (I buy the system can't handle it) but do they often turn folks away if everyone is willing to buy the second bag and pay for unlimited internet for everyone in every cabin?  

Hopefully they will consider starlink soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

After this week's turmoil at Twitter, does anybody still want to have Elon Musk running the wifi on your ship?  😉

I think twitter is a whole other bag of worms.  He came in expecting to cause trouble. Just not sure he realized nt everyone considers him a god. He helped Tesla when he came on board so there is hope.  Was starlink or spacex started by him or did he come on board afterwards?  I need to google and find out.   (Looks like he did start them, but hired very good people).