Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, LaCal said:

What type of snacks do they have in Michaels Club?

I didn' t look at the menu but from my understand the same as they have in the Buffet on the Retreat -   Nuts, cheese, meats, vegies etc.    Will take a look at the menu tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, r2h2 said:

Post #406 confirms they are indeed in that room.

My bad. Saw the post but bit the room number!

What are the power outlets near the bed? DW has a CPAP and would sleep on the right (window) side of the bed. do we need to request an extension cord?

Chiming in!  I went to Al Bacio to get my guilty pleasure Carmel Macchiato and a muffin.  The good news I will gain less weight on this cruise than.  The bad news the muffins have been downsized, as have the donuts and danish

3A6F944E-BCD4-4E5D-9C2D-3784B81F710C.thumb.jpeg.1e0b1c57902722d42ea80a028724bbaa.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

No it has a Captive Portal built in.     Sometimes it doesn't work.  Usually when you select the Wifi-Guest it just pops up like on your phone. 

This is a good article on it.

https://goconnectinc.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-for-travel#page-content

Very much appreciate the article.  Great summary of what you previously taught me and things from Google search.  Silhouette’s internet might just be a little different as I could not get the Captive Portal to come up.  Unless I was in port and I used my IPhone as a cellular hotspot.  I will be armed with whatever  I may need next time.  I am hoping not to need them, but just in case.  

One more question if I may. Which VPN AP do you like best for your Fire Stick?  I noticed that there are many different ones.  

Thank you for your help.

As the Solstice was our first few Solstice Class experiences, she has a special place in our hearts.

We are doing the Iceland to Boston portion of your recent Summit cruises next August.  We will be studying your live from very carefully.  Spending three nights pre cruise.

Also, thank you for sharing your experiences and excitement on these cruises.  They are so enjoyable.  

20 hours ago, rotoal said:

The TSA issues the Global Entry card and they are the ones requiring Real ID, I wonder if he had a new person at security, someone who didn't know any better.

I always show my Global Entry card when going through airport security.   The only place I have had no luck with using my Global Entry instead of my non-Real ID driver's license is in Pennsylvania grocery stores when buying beer or wine.   They only accept a driver's license.

I don't yet have a Real ID license because Pennsylvania charges $30 extra for the enhanced license, not sure if every other state allows people to still renew their licenses without requiring Real ID.

Good to know.  It happened to him quite awhile ago so maybe the person wasn't yet familiar with it.

On 12/2/2022 at 11:42 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I thought I would share with you our high gas prices.  California has a special blend to reduce pollution 

2C98AF3D-8089-4847-815A-48D33D520EE6.thumb.jpeg.27fec4cc1a65f4a6b5eb7bb378ef6655.jpeg

I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, but here in London, England, prices at my local station are 7.51 USD. And it is a lot cheaper than it was in August.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Chiming in!  I went to Al Bacio to get my guilty pleasure Carmel Macchiato and a muffin.  The good news I will gain less weight on this cruise than.  The bad news the muffins have been downsized, as have the donuts and danish

3A6F944E-BCD4-4E5D-9C2D-3784B81F710C.thumb.jpeg.1e0b1c57902722d42ea80a028724bbaa.jpeg

The solution to the muffin problem is easy, Jelaine.  Just have two!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I didn' t look at the menu but from my understand the same as they have in the Buffet on the Retreat -   Nuts, cheese, meats, vegies etc.    Will take a look at the menu tonight.

That was not the case at Michael's Club on the Reflection. No snacks whatsoever, not even bar mix. Only the canapes delivered at a certain hour early evening. So at 7pm there were no snacks.

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We had a great surprise yesterday.   When we stopped by the Retreat we noticed that one of the Host's was Mar from Summit.   We were expecting Penelope who was also on Summit with us a couple months ago but she had to unexpectedly fly home due to family matters.

The other host had also left so the team is all new.      Mar was suppose to have gone to Sillhouette, then Edge and then Summit.   She only found out a day before her flight that they needed her on Solstice.    I feel sorry for the crew at times but they say they have to be flexible.     Many of you remember we had recommended Mar as a Retreat Manager.   SHE IS REALLY GOOD.  

We also were surprised to find that Anesthesia is the Retreat Manager.   They also moved Ken from Guest Relations to Retreat so this is new to him as well.   While the staff struggled with the sudden full turn over they grabbed the bull by the horn and are delivering a great experience.

Love Mar. She is wonderful.

We haven't really explored much of the ship so far but have to say she is in good condition.    While she is getting older she is aging gracefully.

So glad to hear this as we're finally going to go on our Alaska cruise on Solstice that was cancelled back when I retired in 2020!

We had done a Caribbean cruise on Solstice in 2010 to celebrate our daughters college graduation so I'd say we're overdue to be back on the ship!

Looking forward to the rest of your trip. From the # of posts I should probably check in a few times a day! 😉

• Like 1

We haven't really explored much of the ship so far but have to say she is in good condition.    While she is getting older she is aging gracefully.

wonderful to hear, have been on the Apex and Edge recently and loved them. Booked Solstice for a Fiji Transpacific and was worried after some reviews saying she's in bad condition, in fact one reviewer called her a dump! 

5 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

If you see our favorite Luminae waiter Nino can you say hi from Royce & Robin.  He was supposed to join Equinox during our last sailing but I believe got moved to Solstice last minute.

I just saw him at lunch.    Will pass on your greetings.    Lots of last minutes shuffling going on.

5 hours ago, Guindalf said:

My bad. Saw the post but bit the room number!

What are the power outlets near the bed? DW has a CPAP and would sleep on the right (window) side of the bed. do we need to request an extension cord?

To my knowledge there are no power outlets near the bed.    I always get an extension cord for my computer etc.     I noticed the room attendant was taping one down going toward the bed when passing a room.  

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

Yikes .. .that does look small.    I had an almond Croissant and seems may also be smaller.

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Good to know.  It happened to him quite awhile ago so maybe the person wasn't yet familiar with it.

Great meeting you this morning @phoenix_dream and Congratulations on hitting Zenith.   Hope that wasn't a secret.

3 hours ago, wynnne said:

I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, but here in London, England, prices at my local station are 7.51 USD. And it is a lot cheaper than it was in August.

Yikes..

That's enough to take a hit on your driving.

3 hours ago, TeaBag said:

The solution to the muffin problem is easy, Jelaine.  Just have two!!

OK.. I'm about to go down for my after nap cappuccino.   Have to check on the Lemon Tarts.   Yesterday they only had chocolate.

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

OK.. I'm about to go down for my after nap cappuccino.   Have to check on the Lemon Tarts.   Yesterday they only had chocolate.

Looking forward to the 'tart' report, the lemon version is a regular afternoon habit for us as well...

Happy to report the Lemon Rarts with the chocolate dot (my favorite) are available in the afternoon   

I got 4 so Iain can have two when he gets up from his nap. 

C9452B75-1417-40B4-939D-8F89C96AE564.thumb.jpeg.6b533dbee0a7803bfa34d604b82107c4.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 10

Went to Michael’s club for our light breakfast. 

Menu

0D84635E-C91F-4C44-9E46-BFA0C5A283F3.thumb.jpeg.0139a6c53192fd57aaf6241d966b4ab9.jpeg

I had 2 Almond Croissants, Greek Yogurt, Berries, Cappuccino and an OJ

18CBFD86-6DA8-47A8-A422-65D97A63E172.thumb.jpeg.f46dbbc9f513a24b629280a47e53787b.jpeg

the retreat was empty

EE7AEA8C-6EF5-4561-8C25-C0461085CFB5.thumb.jpeg.31495561e28227ab4f39722741973a07.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4