How "safe" is the ship?

PineappleTraveler

One cruise...just after boarding... I left my purse in the OV cafe.... complete with all our tip money and my jewelry and passports... phone etc.  I was not used to carrying a purse..so was not in the habit of keeping my eye on it... about 5 minutes after leaving I realized my mistake and ran back. One of the crew had located it and brought it back to guest relations... everything was there and I made a point of finding out the name of the crew member to make a special comment about this...  I am usually very security conscious.. and never leave valuables out.. except my phone on the charger in the cabin. I have never seen security in action on a Celebrity ship

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 6:15 PM, P&T said:

Pointless carrying a purse anywhere on board.

This comment must be from someone with 20:20 eyesight!  Purse needed for reading glasses, reading sunglasses and regular sunglasses (for when outside just looking at whatever in sunny climates!). 

AND most ships now doing away with printed "daily" schedule in favour of the online app, so phone/device needed for access to that ... very rare that female clothing has decent pockets for today's sized phones!

AND lucky pen needed for trivia sessions!  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, westcoasttech said:

This comment must be from someone with 20:20 eyesight!  Purse needed for reading glasses, reading sunglasses and regular sunglasses (for when outside just looking at whatever in sunny climates!). 

AND most ships now doing away with printed "daily" schedule in favour of the online app, so phone/device needed for access to that ... very rare that female clothing has decent pockets for today's sized phones!

LOL What can I say - I try to keep my life uncluttered on holiday. 😊

BTW: I have not so good eyesight and wear multifocal transitions so I only need one pair of glasses for all situations.

23 hours ago, westcoasttech said:

Or from a guy.  🤭  During the day on cruises I have a tote bag with sunglasses, visor, binoculars, Kindle…. At night I switch to an evening bag in which I have reading glasses, lipstick and brush…and Sea Pass card.

• Like 3

We feel extremely safe aboard the ship.  We also have found it best not to tempt people needlessly.  So anytime we are in an area where there are fellow passengers we maintain possession of our valuables such as electronics. 

While cruising our jewelry, passports, drivers license, credit cards, etc. go into the stateroom safe along with any cash that is not needed for tips, just like many others.  With the exception of my ever present iPhone, we also usually leave our electronics in our room.

Most often my wife and my sea pass cards on in my pocket.  As many have pointed out, most women's clothes do not have pockets so I carry hers for her. 

4 hours ago, SusieV said:

We've had stuff stolen by the pool deck. Keep an eye on your valuables.

As other posters have stressed: use common sense.  I think Celebrity has reasonably safe ships.   DH and I have had nothing taken/stolen on 21 cruises.  (There is no absolute safe areas, including if I leave my wallet in my shopping cart at the local grocery store while I grab some fresh produce 😞 )

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 2:58 PM, westcoasttech said:

I definitely would not tell my friend who carries a rescue inhaler in hers, nor the one who carries nitroglycerin in hers that it's pointless for anyone to carry a purse onboard. 

I have a very small cross body bag that doesn't hold much more than my phone, a lip balm, and my sea pass that I use when I don't have pockets.

We all have different needs. Thank you for your post. 

• Like 4

Guest 4-2-N-8
38 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I definitely would not tell my friend who carries a rescue inhaler in hers, nor the one who carries nitroglycerin in hers that it's pointless for anyone to carry a purse onboard. 

I have a very small cross body bag that doesn't hold much more than my phone, a lip balm, and my sea pass that I use when I don't have pockets.

We all have different needs. Thank you for your post. 

That's it!

I'm definitely bringing my emotional support wombat and keeping (him/his/it/that) in the same bag as my $29,372 in cash (for tips and cab fare) and leaving it on my pool lounger, so I can keep my chair (reserved) all day long while I'm off ship for my 14-hour shore excursion.

On 12/4/2022 at 9:15 PM, P&T said:

There is nowhere on board to use cash. Pointless carrying a purse anywhere on board. Just your cruise card on a lanyard around your neck.

The only things I need with me while out of the cabin might be sunglasses, hand sanitiser and phone maybe.

There is zero requirement to have your purse with you. 

The only time my wallet comes out of the safe is when I am going ashore.

My phone is usually on the bedside table, and my laptop on the main bench. Jewellery and cash etc (and passports if the ship hasn't taken them) in the safe.

No need to lecture us. Where would you suggest a woman keep her tampons if you insist that a purse is unnecessary?

Edited by rickdent
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

That's it!

I'm definitely bringing my emotional support wombat and keeping (him/his/it/that) in the same bag as my $29,372 in cash (for tips and cab fare) and leaving it on my pool lounger, so I can keep my chair (reserved) all day long while I'm off ship for my 14-hour shore excursion.

$29,372: is that a random number or your cab firm home from your last cruise?  If so you should've booked a private jet charter instead. ( Oh gosh, that makes me non-green or a Hollywood celeb! 😞. )

Guest 4-2-N-8
4 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

$29,372: is that a random number or your cab firm home from your last cruise?  If so you should've booked a private jet charter instead. ( Oh gosh, that makes me non-green or a Hollywood celeb! 😞. )

My apologies. It was $29,371 😂

• 2 weeks later...

On my first Celebrity cruise while I was in the pool my large tube of expensive sun block was taken from my chair.  Lots of other stuff on the chair and I was not gone long.

A fellow cruiser ( while on a TA) was showering in the spa. He hung his swim trunks on the top of the door and someone took them. he had to go to his cabin wearing a tshirt and towel. They were never 'found'

Wallet and jewelry in the safe.  Electronics aren’t locked up but are out of sight.

We were just on the Constellation.  One afternoon my boyfriend walked into the cabin and immediately realized he’d left his phone in the Reflections Lounge.  Ran back upstairs, and the bartender had his phone.

An hour later he realized that he also left his sweater either in the lounge or at the buffet.  Though we made multiple visits to the lost and found at Guest Services, the sweater didn’t turn up.

Whoever “found” a  light blue cashmere pullover, I hope you get what you deserve.

We lock all valuables in safe.  CCs, passports, money, phones, jewelry, etc.  I think that is just common sense.

Never been pickpocketed, never been a victim of any kind of crime onboard.  Feel very safe, but have always taken simple precautions, and been alert to what is going on around me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Crew seemed great when we sailed, but this post suggests crew abandoning their assigned duty (serving food in the MDR), and behavior that could be stalking (draw your own conclusions).  A post about cutbacks, but also safety....