Real ID enforcement date extended

teknoge3k

Today the Department of Homeland Security announced they will be pushing out the Real ID enforcement date 2 years from May 2023, to May 2025. 

This is for those who fly to the cruise port, and do not use a Passport. 

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2022/12/05/dhs-announces-extension-real-id-full-enforcement-deadline?fbclid=IwAR1HWRJMH5fBgtTQ7FNCkyY2NKlNzA2agXyXLgDOKvkih8JFdO7hSl6XkSQ

• Like 3

The REAL ID Act passed in 2005. It will be almost drinking age by the time it's fully enacted. (I do see the point though that during COVID a lot of people didn't have the opportunity to renew in person in order to get a REAL ID compliant license/ID.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mz-s said:

It's amazing anything gets done at all in government, really.

In most cases (if not all) in order to get a REAL ID compliant license/ID one must go to the DMV in person with the required documents. Many haven't been able to do that because of COVID and this has slowed down issuance of the new ID. All states are now compliant, so it's a matter of giving folks the time to get in to get it done. In this case I can understand the delay. 

41 minutes ago, mz-s said:

It's amazing anything gets done at all in government, really.

i think for some people like me that already have a passport, that is really all they need. there is no reason to go to update your id to this real id. depending on your id, updating may not be done online and you need to go a dmv or some other place to get it done

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i think for some people like me that already have a passport, that is really all they need. there is no reason to go to update your id to this real id. depending on your id, updating may not be done online and you need to go a dmv or some other place to get it done

I was asked the last time I was at the DMV to renew my license whether I wanted this new form. I asked if there was a charge and was told yes. I then said I had a passport that at the time still had 9 years before renewal, did I need this new license. I was told NO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

I was asked the last time I was at the DMV to renew my license whether I wanted this new form. I asked if there was a charge and was told yes. I then said I had a passport that at the time still had 9 years before renewal, did I need this new license. I was told NO.

The only reason you need a real ID is if you want to be able to fly domestically without needing your passport, one day maybe when this real ID law actually perhaps comes in effect. They keep delaying it so we may all be dead by then, who knows.

• Like 1

I got my RealID about 3 years ago.  The id requirements alone were ridiculous.

It isn't enough that I already have a passport and state issued DL.  They needed additional proofs that I was who I said I was and lived at my current address.  The biggest problem was finding something else with my name and address.  All my bills are either paperless or in my wife's name.  I already had a US passport that is good enough for the Fed Gov't to leave and return the country but this is not good enough for the state or for whatever the requirements were for RealID.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, shof515 said:

It really depends on what you do in your day-to-day life and where you go. If you go into a federal facility it would be easier just to show your Real ID license rather than taking your Passport with you. Especially if it's somewhere you frequent. 

I’ve given up, right now I can get an appointment in 2 weeks at a place 1 1/2 hours away, the other centers with appointments are booking for February and they’re 1 - 3 hours away, the rest just say no appointments available. Glad I have my passport book and card.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve given up, right now I can get an appointment in 2 weeks at a place 1 1/2 hours away, the other centers with appointments are booking for February and they’re 1 - 3 hours away, the rest just say no appointments available. Glad I have my passport book and card.

Can you not just walk into your local DMV and have it done?

35 minutes ago, iria64 said:

I got my RealID about 3 years ago.  The id requirements alone were ridiculous.

It isn't enough that I already have a passport and state issued DL.  They needed additional proofs that I was who I said I was and lived at my current address.  The biggest problem was finding something else with my name and address.  All my bills are either paperless or in my wife's name.  I already had a US passport that is good enough for the Fed Gov't to leave and return the country but this is not good enough for the state or for whatever the requirements were for RealID.

I agree! It is ridiculous what all you need. My wife was in the same boat as far as finding something else with her name and address on it. Luckily they said her concealed carry permit would be acceptable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

The REAL ID Act passed in 2005. It will be almost drinking age by the time it's fully enacted. (I do see the point though that during COVID a lot of people didn't have the opportunity to renew in person in order to get a REAL ID compliant license/ID.)

The DMV in NC is way understaffed as well. My 16 yo was able to get her DL without a road test last January. It has just now gone back to them but that has put even more of a backlog on appointments. My husband actually has an appointment for the REAL ID tomorrow. He made it 3 month ago. Earliest date. 

29 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Lol not even close! Before Covid you could, waits were 4+ hours. During Covid waits were 13+ hours, folks would advertise their services to sit outside in line for $. Now it’s appointment only, a year ago I finally renewed my license after trying for many months to get an appointment (jumping to sign up at midnight). Our system is SO broken.

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Lol not even close! Before Covid you could, waits were 4+ hours. During Covid waits were 13+ hours, folks would advertise their services to sit outside in line for $. Now it’s appointment only, a year ago I finally renewed my license after trying for many months to get an appointment (jumping to sign up at midnight). Our system is SO broken.

😮 May I ask, in what part of the country do you live with those kind of waits?  Just curious.  Our MVA, although never a pleasant experience, even during COVID (when it was by appointment only) has never come anywhere near those wait times.  Yikes!😮

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

Good point...DMV.....takes FOREVER....take a number, sit down.....Last time I was there they had a line out the door, once inside you had to get in another line.  All this with grouchy state employees going off on patrons if you ask a question. Not a good thing,

26 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

😮 May I ask, in what part of the country do you live with those kind of waits?  Just curious.  Our MVA, although never a pleasant experience, even during COVID (when it was by appointment only) has never come anywhere near those wait times.  Yikes!😮

New Jersey.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Wow!!! During Covid you made appointments here in Virginia but with the appt you were in and out in 15 minutes. They opened them back up early last year to walk-ins. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Wow!!! During Covid you made appointments here in Virginia but with the appt you were in and out in 15 minutes. They opened them back up early last year to walk-ins. 

Two of my kids got their drivers licenses 1/20, they passed the road test at 12 but were sent home because the office closed at 4 and there were too many ahead of them. Got there first thing the next morning and waited 4 hours to just get their licenses. After the overnight lines during Covid, finally moved to appointments, but getting them was closed to impossible. NJ MVC has always been a sh*t show but Covid closings made it so much worse (and nothing meaner than a NJMVC employee, can’t blame them dealing with angry NJ residents all day).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't have to jump through any hoops when I got mine. It was my normal license renewal back in 2016. I didn't fill in any extra paperwork or have to bring any additional documents. So when my mother, who lives in PA, said she had to take all kinds of things in to get it done, I was shocked. I did nothing but renew my license as I always have. I guess GA doesn't care.

• Like 2

Although this real ID conversation isn't relevant to me because I have a passport, I started reading the thread and am now intrigued at the differences in the MVA (DMV) experiences across the country.  I moved Across the Bay from the Baltimore / D.C. metro area in '99 to the (less populated, more rural) Eastern Shore.  Back then, I was pleasantly surprised at the relatively friendly, low-stress, short-wait experience at our Eastern Shore (Salisbury, MD) MVA as compared to what I was familiar with in the Metro Area.  I guess after all these years, I've become accustomed to it and have forgotten how bad it can be.  But lines out the door and 13-hour waits - I had no idea!  That sucks.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Wow!  I live in NE Wisconsin and i just got a Real ID this past summer.  Walked in and was out in about 20-30 minutes.  They don't allow license plate renewals there anymore though, you have to do that all online, so that definitely frees up the lines a little.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

DMVs in a lot of areas are overwhelmed - appointments are months out for some reason and have been for years now.