Gratuities/Daily Service Charges increasing!!

shof515

Have people gone completely insane over the change in gratuities? Nobody is forcing you to cruise - and nobody is forcing you to cruise with NCL.

If the increase in the cost of gratuities is causing so much stress - quite simply - find another vacation option which does not cause you so much financial stress. Problem solved. This is the same as the thread regarding the $4.95 for room service that has people losing their minds.

Edited by RD64
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Have people gone completely insane over the change in gratuities? Nobody is forcing you to cruise - and nobody is forcing you to cruise with NCL.

If the increase in the cost of gratuities is causing so much stress - quite simply - find another vacation option which does not cause you so much financial stress. Problem solved. This is the same as the thread regarding the $4.95 for room service that has people losing their minds.

The continued discussion about the DSC is poor messaging and a policy that allows them to be removed. If the DSC couldn’t be adjusted or removed, it truly would be just another fee item on a cruise ship — take it or leave. Because of ambiguity, the conversation ensues. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Also my question is- once all the grandfathering of the gratuities has passed, do people automatically stop booking with Norwegian, or start the process of removing their gratuities?

I'll just continue to pay whatever the price is.  If I want to reduce costs, I'll book less cruises.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Also my question is- once all the grandfathering of the gratuities has passed, do people automatically stop booking with Norwegian, or start the process of removing their gratuities?

This is an annual discussion, so I think you have your answer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hallux said:

My objection isn't so much that it's going up, just that it's going up so much all at once.

How dare you object? Just shut up and pay the price! You're not allowed to have a negative opinion on a multi-bullion dollar corporation that raises daily service charges by 25% overnight. Go stay at a Motel 6 and see how many washy washy songs you hear! Pfffft...the audacity you people have to complain in a discussion forum baffles me! You shall pay as much as the NCL gods and cheerleaders want you to pay and you'll enjoy it!

*The message above was all said as sarcasm btw"

Edited by DaCruiseBug
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, RD64 said:

Nobody is forcing me to pay the DSC either, and I can still cruise. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:
12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'll just continue to pay whatever the price is.  If I want to reduce costs, I'll book less cruises.

This point is well made. Some will reduce. Some will cruise less. Some people, finances permitted won’t blink. It’s a personal choice. 

Some people will continue to cruise, and not pay the DSC.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain-John said:

Some people will continue to cruise, and not pay the DSC.

That’ll show NCL.  Screw the Crew by removing the DSC.  

If this were a U.S. based restaurant and you didn’t tip the wait staff, you can believe they certainly would “know” who you were and would “discuss” your actions with gusto with the rest of the staff.  I wouldn’t count on a welcoming embrace the next time you grace that establishment.

Love all the “Scrooges” who show up at Christmas time in this thread.

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

That’ll show NCL.  Screw the Crew by removing the DSC.  

I suppose that depends on exactly how the DSC works. If there is a minimum salary the crew are guarnateed, then NCL will need to fund any gap between what they collect and what they owe the crew. That would 'screw' NCL as the passengers wouldn't be paying the full salary bill any more directly from the DSC (the horror!). They'd no doubt find it from the other revenue passengers provide - which is exactly how any other busienss works (apart from US restaurants as you mention,  where the customer is expected to pay the staff salary seperate to the cost of the meal).

If DSC really gives crew 'over and above' incentives/bonus, then perhaps that would have an impact yes. The lack of transparency on this does make it difficult to gauge any impact or not on individual crew's remuneration.

So, someone says NCL doesn’t give out their DSC or tips to their staff.

Here it is, transparent as they can make it, right from their WEB site…

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.”

What about gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.”

There you have it.  Explained by NCL.  Less than 5 seconds of research.
Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

NCL has an obligation to compensate the crew. That is NCL’s burden and not the consumers. No need to carry guilt or the weight of compensation you can’t see. If a consumers adjusts or removes the DSC, that is the consumers right to do so and NCL will have to figure out the rest. It isn’t scrooging to decide where your money goes. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

So, someone says NCL doesn’t give out their DSC or tips to their staff.

If your repy is directed to me, that's not what I was saying.

"compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports."

Is exactly the problem I have. If not enough people pay the DSC, do the crew simply not get paid a 'full' salary? I imagine they have signed up for a fixed basic amount and a variable extra ('bonus') on top?

I find it galling that NCL would expect that basic fixed minimum to be met by passenger DSC - precisely because it is not mandatory to pay. So my point about NCL having to fund the difference to make sure the crew are paid the minimum they are contracted for remains?

Just make the DSC mandatory or include it in the cruise fare if it's paying crew salaries. It's not a 'tip' or anything over and above what the crew are entitled to, by the sound of it in NCL's own words.

Edited by Captain-John
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JezzaC said:

Would be best if all cruise lines just would add service charges / gratuities to their cruise prices. 

There is probably some type of accounting rule as to why they don't do this but in my mind it would be a tremendous advantage to any cruise line that could do it in the following way:

Abolish the entire DSC as a separate entity and roll whatever the cost might be into the base fare. 

That could be a huge advantage in advertising saying they don't even have a DSC so come cruise with us.

The crew theoretically would be happy for a couple reasons. They would still get whatever the amount is that NCL designates...passengers would NOT be able to remove or lower the DSC because it is no longer there...plus I think some people might actually tip more than they do now (hopefully) if they don't see a DSC amount.

Sure seems like everybody would win doing it that way.

Edited to add...the biggest advantage might be the stopping of all the moaning and groaning about it here on CruiseCritic 🙂

Edited by Red-Sol
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The cruise industry is a “service” industry….just like spas, resorts, hotels, restaurants, bars, etc (which it essentially is, only at sea).  If you’re new to the cruise industry, it works the same.  You’re served drinks, food, have a room steward, entertainment, etc.

A Cruise is best described as a resort on water.

For those who are unfamiliar with how “resort fees” work, here’s what Condé Nast states…

Resort fees are mandatory daily charges—typically ranging from $25 to $35—tacked onto the room rate that cover access to on-site facilities and amenities such as pools, gyms, beach chairs, Wi-Fi and more. These fees are usually found in tourist destinations like Las Vegas, Orlando, and Hawaii and are set by hotel owners, rather than the brand that operates the hotel. (It is common for a hotel company like Marriott or Hilton to manage a hotel and not actually own the building.)”

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

A Cruise is best described as a resort on water.

For those who are unfamiliar with how “resort fees” work, here’s what Condé Nast states…

Resort fees are mandatory daily charges—typically ranging from $25 to $35—tacked onto the room rate that cover access to on-site facilities and amenities such as pools, gyms, beach chairs, Wi-Fi and more. These fees are usually found in tourist destinations like Las Vegas, Orlando, and Hawaii and are set by hotel owners, rather than the brand that operates the hotel. (It is common for a hotel company like Marriott or Hilton to manage a hotel and not actually own the building.)”

Irrelevant to the discussion. Resort fees don't go directly to employees. 

35 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

NCL has an obligation to compensate the crew. That is NCL’s burden and not the consumers. No need to carry guilt or the weight of compensation you can’t see. If a consumers adjusts or removes the DSC, that is the consumers right to do so and NCL will have to figure out the rest. It isn’t scrooging to decide where your money goes. 

Since ultimately, all costs are paid by the passengers, passengers have an obligation to compensate NCL for paying the crew.

This whole thread is based upon the idea that NCL, not the passengers, are responsible for paying the crew. The cruise line can use the DSC or the fare to pay the cruise.  In either event, the passengers are the ones who pay.  It's absurd to believe eliminating the DSC would reduce passenger costs.

38 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

There is probably some type of accounting rule as to why they don't do this but in my mind it would be a tremendous advantage to any cruise line that could do it in the following way:

Abolish the entire DSC as a separate entity and roll whatever the cost might be into the base fare. 

That could be a huge advantage in advertising saying they don't even have a DSC so come cruise with us.

The crew theoretically would be happy for a couple reasons. They would still get whatever the amount is that NCL designates...passengers would NOT be able to remove or lower the DSC because it is no longer there...plus I think some people might actually tip more than they do now (hopefully) if they don't see a DSC amount.

Sure seems like everybody would win doing it that way.

Edited to add...the biggest advantage might be the stopping of all the moaning and groaning about it here on CruiseCritic 🙂

As discussed earlier, NCL did try this in Europe a few years ago.

It didn’t last long.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

What about gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them.

This is why I like the current system.  I just pay the DSC and don't feel compelled to pull out my wallet every time somebody does something for me.  I do tip the Steward and occasional drink server/bar tender for exceptional service, but it's not a lot.

1 hour ago, Red-Sol said:

It would provide zero advantage for customers like me.  I ignore all the various elements and just compare the final, out the door, prices.

59 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Since ultimately, all costs are paid by the passengers, passengers have an obligation to compensate NCL for paying the crew.

This whole thread is based upon the idea that NCL, not the passengers, are responsible for paying the crew. The cruise line can use the DSC or the fare to pay the cruise.  In either event, the passengers are the ones who pay.  It's absurd to believe eliminating the DSC would reduce passenger costs.

Then NCL should not make it a charge that can be removed. That is an NCL problem. 

• Like 1