Another cut being tested: Once per day cabin service

Tenderpaw

16 hours ago, davekathy said:

The printed copy of the Cruise Compass is another must have for us. We have walked by so many cabins in the morning that if I was a cabin attendant , I would quit. Disgusting!! And those same people would be the ones complaining about the cabin attendant.

My wife has said if we had a cleaning service come to our home, we'd still do our normal daily/weekly house cleaning before the cleaning service arrived. I agreed. 😁

We have a cleaning service and Man, no house is so tidy and organised the morning they come. For the other days, when they are not coming, the house can be a bit of a disaster. But Mrs. Dawg and by extension, me, tidy up and clean to get it too a point where the cleaning service can do their job.

I complained once (and only once) to Mrs. Dawg that surely, we didn't need to clean the house before the people we were paying to clean actually got to the house. Her response  - the cleaning service changes extra if they have to wear hazmat suits! 😱 

And don't call me Shirley! 😁 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I have an extensive history with Royal dating back to 2002😉

And FWIW, I'm a big fan of using fees for crowd control. If I want an experience available, I'm willing to pay for it. But I do have limits

We first sailed with Royal for my husband's 40th birthday, so we go back to 2003.  I've never seen a line, and since the price went $$$ I have never seen more than 1-2 tables filled.  

My husband says I clean before the cleaning people come to the house.  I don’t clean but if things aren’t picked up it takes them longer and they don’t do as good of a job. If they tried to put clutter away I’d never find it again.  

I want to steward to make the bed, clean the bathroom if needed, take out the trash and dishes and leave fresh towels.  I don’t expect them nor do I want them to pick up my clutter.  

• Like 2

We leave our cabin very neat, nothing on the floor except our backpack and computer bag and neat desk area. Clothes are never left strewn around.  Everything is either hanging, in a drawer or dirty in the pop up hamper we bring.   But, I rarely make my bed at home so why would I make it on a cruise?  Our house is also very neat, outside of DH"s office lol.  

Edited by BND
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2022 at 3:24 PM, dunedinmaiden said:

Yes, but don't insult our intelligence by citing sustainability!

Isn't that every public traded company's priority. I worked for one for 30+ years the don't think they are any different than the rest. 

7 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Why? A ship with all passengers on shore is a beautiful place! 

And going on shore to see the same sights seen many times in the past is not appealing. 

Then I guess you need to leave the Caribbean 

You don't hear many people say we're going to Santorini, but I'm staying on the ship

• Like 4

On 12/8/2022 at 6:28 AM, Djsmrs said:

I really don't see the issue, with the exception of sofa beds and pullmans needing to be made up in the evening.   After they make up our room it's not like we're really in there doing anything that would  require additional cleaning - 

I know staffing is an issue so they're increasing the # of rooms that each attendant has to clean while reducing the number of cleans - I guess they're doing what they can to address retention.

Was on Quantum the other week. We were in a suite so got 2x daily room servicing.

However, we were travelling with our son who was sleeping on the pull-out couch. The pull-out stayed out for the entire cruise.

Not sure if this is the 'new normal' or unique to our room attendant but the loss of the sofa was kinda annoying, not to mention the pull-out bed took up a lot of room.

(I know, first world problems!!)

2 minutes ago, brad_p said:

Was on Quantum the other week. We were in a suite so got 2x daily room servicing.

However, we were travelling with our son who was sleeping on the pull-out couch. The pull-out stayed out for the entire cruise.

Not sure if this is the 'new normal' or unique to our room attendant but the loss of the sofa was kinda annoying, not to mention the pull-out bed took up a lot of room.

(I know, first world problems!!)

Did you ask to have it folded every day?  I had just the opposite problem during our Ovation cruise last May.  We had a folding bed and the steward wanted to fold it and put it away every day.  We didn't want that as we wanted it available all day every day for naps.  It wasn't a problem after we asked him not to put it away.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You don't hear many people say we're going to Santorini, but I'm staying on the ship

We are okay. You might be surprised how many ignore ports. You go to Santorini and enjoy, but thanks for the advice. ;/

Edited by fredmdcruisers
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Did you ask to have it folded every day?  I had just the opposite problem during our Ovation cruise last May.  We had a folding bed and the steward wanted to fold it and put it away every day.  We didn't want that as we wanted it available all day every day for naps.  It wasn't a problem after we asked him not to put it away.  

Nah didn't ask, I feel a little awkward asking for things like that. It is what it is... just differed from my expectation of them placing the bed away during the day and taking it out at night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We don’t get off in Santorini anymore and judging by how many folks stay onboard nowadays when visiting it we certainly aren’t the only ones.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

We are okay. You might be surprised how many ignore ports. You go to Santorini and enjoy, but thanks for the advice. ;/

We're in Labadee tomorrow. If we weren't cruising with all of our kids and grandkids (who don't cruise much) we'd be staying on board and enjoying the ship.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I guess some folks are just happy to spend their week enjoying a billion dollar cruise ship. However, as you already pointed out on the voucher thread, I am clueless.😚

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I guess some folks are just happy to spend their week enjoying a billion dollar cruise ship. However, as you already pointed out on the voucher thread, I am clueless.😚

We stay onboard plenty of times, but might as well get off a few times, even places we frequent a lot.

Love the meat pies in Falmouth😁

As far as clueless, I posted a follow up 😉

On 12/18/2022 at 9:37 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I've been on plenty of sailing where I'd walk by JR's in the evening and it was empty except for crew eating in there.

It was dead on Indy in the evening this last weekend. I went to try the grilled chicken club sandwich, since I do not like their burgers. Well, I could hardly stop myself from laughing when it was put in front of me, but I managed. The server was just so nice. It didn't taste bad...well at least the parts of it that had chicken, bacon, lettuce, etc., which was about 25% of it. I asked for the fries extra crispy, and they obliged and that was pretty good. 

On 12/19/2022 at 4:26 AM, John&LaLa said:

Kinda odd to never get off. 🤔

I rarely get off anymore in the Caribbean/Bahamas. Every now and then we will want to do something like the Trikes in Aruba. The one place I/we get off every time is Grand Cayman, as I love Stingray City. I will also venture into Coco Cay here and there. Being on the ship is what makes me happy, and I am even more happy when everyone else gets off the ship. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

So this last weekend I asked the room steward to only come in the morning, and to please leave me an extra towel, just in case. Actually, it was fine. Yeah I took a nap on Saturday, and so the bed was not made when I came back and got ready for dinner, but really that worked out for me since all my pillows (don't ask how many) were where I left them, and didn't need to be arranged. 

I've decided it's fine for me! I hope they keep twice a day in place for everyone that likes it, and I think I can just start telling them to only come in the mornings.

• Like 1