Jeans in the MDR?

schildiams

My husband wears khakis, not jeans.

From the HAL website: 

• When suggested attire is Casual smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in table service restaurants.
  • When suggested attire is Dressy we take it up a notch and recommend slacks, skirts, dresses, blouses, collared shirts and jackets.
  •  
  • Q: Are jeans allowed? 

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Dressy nights jeans are only allowed in casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

My husband wears khakis, not jeans.

From the HAL website: 

• When suggested attire is Casual smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in table service restaurants.
  • When suggested attire is Dressy we take it up a notch and recommend slacks, skirts, dresses, blouses, collared shirts and jackets.
  •  
  • Q: Are jeans allowed? 

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Dressy nights jeans are only allowed in casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

That is the policy but on our 4 weeks on the NA in Nov 2022 there were guests in the MDR on Dressy nights in shorts and T-shirt with writing and baseball hats and also guests in Tux - go figure.

11 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

That is the policy but on our 4 weeks on the NA in Nov 2022 there were guests in the MDR on Dressy nights in shorts and T-shirt with writing and baseball hats and also guests in Tux - go figure.

On zuiderdam last month, men wearing shorts were turned away most evenings at MDR. Shorts were allowed only at breakfast and lunch. Oh, at dinner on the first and last evenings shorts were allowed.

Edited by yerdua
  • Like 2

I always think this topic is amusing. It always depends on the individual case and these rules are almost archaic. During our last cruise in the MDR we saw people dressed like these two photos below for example. The first one does not meet the no shorts rule and the second is fine according to the rules. But for a Caribbean cruise, I would think that the first photo would look perfectly fine at any fine restaurant in port. It is all subjective, thus they should just have guidelines and give it up with the exclusions. Just enjoy your dinner and cruise. Probably the first step to that is not worrying about things including whatever the other people are wearing in the restaurant

Men's Shorts & Swim Trunks | Ralph Lauren

Happy Walking Man in White T-shirt, Jeans, Boots and Black Cap Stock Image  - Image of male, cheerful: 143189741

Yes you can wear jeans if they are "nice"...but it makes no sense IMO. They are heavy and do not look as put together as even cheapish slacks or golf pants. You can pack three slacks in the same weight/area as one pair of Levi's and rotate them every third night into infinity. Just no reason to pack heavy jeans...but to each their own,

• Like 6

15 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

Now that would be a picture to take  LOL

38 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

Why wear jeans...you can do that all day long...every day...every year...

Personally, in the Caribbean with it 85 degrees, I would rather not wear jeans and wear shorts, but I will bring my single pair of khakis and throw them on for dinner each evening

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

It's pretty funny how many posts you'll see here about people supposedly not properly dressed in the main dining room .  Honestly though, on the ships, most people are just enjoying their cruise too much to get worked up about what others are wearing to dinner.

It's a slippery slope and HAL, sadly, is heading in the same direction as Carnival. First the Jeans allowed, then Shorts Allowed and then no more Tablecloths.  There will be debates over the Tablecloths and how the upscale restaurants no longer have them, etc. and in the meantime the Menu, etc. just keeps eroding.  Ironically, the same people that can't put on a pair of "big boy" Pants (Khaki's) or the Gal who wants to wear her Spandex shorts in the MDR (although Obese) will complain that there's no more Lobster and how the Menu went downhill, etc.  I saw this happen many years ago on Carnival and my last Cruise on the Nieuw Statendam felt just like a "Carnival Cruise"! 

• Like 5

I my feeling is if you have a dress policy in the MDR then enforce it.  If you are not going to enforce it then don't have the policy.  If you don't enforce a written policy, then what other policies will guests ignore?  Smoking on their veranda or in their cabin?  Sneaking in an Iron, etc....  (on that note when leaving pier 26 terminal on  Dec 4 there was a table as you exited the building with confiscated items to collect - there were at least 6 travel irons and several power strips on the table for guests to pickup with they left the ship.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sure.  I don't know why anyone here is responding that it's out of dress code or any such nonsense. It's perfectly fine. I'm bringing one pair of jeans, two slacks, two dress shorts w me; like every cruise. 

Not all of us want to, or are impressed, by the black and white, mix and match, stretchy clothes every night crowd. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reds4life said:

I have been reading that pretty much the Lido has the same menu as the main dining room? Is that true? Honestly we only ever go to Dressy Nights for the better dishes on the menu. 

Varies by ship. May have more things, but perhaps not the "best" things...like lobster, when HAL served it. Or escargot. Or the best cuts of beef. Almost guaranteed the Lido will have more dessert choices.