Chocolate Buffet

sanders

It’s been years since I have been on RCCL. Do they still have their chocolate buffet or late night buffet that was in the dining room? I’m thinking because of covid, no. Do they have bbq meals? I’m going to Alaska on the Brilliance next year and was wondering what was new, thanks in advance.

Choc buffet & midnight buffet are long gone.   I have not seen the BBQ around the Lido deck pool in a very long time.  Last was a Mexican Riviera Cruise at least 10 years ago, maybe more.  Seems I recall some "BBQ" choices in the Windjammer during out cruise last month.   If they had the midnight buffets during your last cruise, I'm expecting you will think a lot of things have changed.  They have but we still enjoy the experience.   Enjoy.   

PS: No more ice sculptures either.   

1 hour ago, sanders said:

Thanks… that’s exactly what I was thinking. My last RC cruise was actually 2004 on the Serenade. I had the best chocolate flourless cake on that cruise…is that still around?

I've been known to enjoy a slice of cake every now and then.  😄  Unfortunately, I can't say if they have flourless cakes.  Not saying they don't. I just don't normally look for it.  

That class of ship may have some special menus in the Park Cafe.  Have seen BBQ at least once on Brilliance and Radiance.  Not late at night, though.  Many buffets have a special huge dessert menu available for lunch on one day with lots of chocolate stuff.  And lately they have been doing the large welcome back cake (had a welcome Wonder of the Seas cake on Allure this fall).

On 12/7/2022 at 11:28 PM, sanders said:

It’s been years since I have been on RCCL. Do they still have their chocolate buffet or late night buffet that was in the dining room? I’m thinking because of covid, no. Do they have bbq meals? I’m going to Alaska on the Brilliance next year and was wondering what was new, thanks in advance.

We started cruising in 2011 (Royal) and I think the chocolate and late night buffets were gone by then. There was a bbq by the pool on the Ovation this October. I don’t really remember seeing them on other ships, but I might have missed them. I knew about the one on the Ovation because they announced it several times.

I believe that the demise of many of the old goodies are a part of "incrementalism".  Slowly taking away things and at the same time, increasing the cost.  This is not unique to Royal, this is one of many reasons that I left Rustbucket Cruise Lines.  

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I believe that the demise of many of the old goodies are a part of "incrementalism".  Slowly taking away things and at the same time, increasing the cost.  This is not unique to Royal, this is one of many reasons that I left Rustbucket Cruise Lines.  

I rest my case:

On 12/8/2022 at 12:25 AM, sanders said:

Thanks… that’s exactly what I was thinking. My last RC cruise was actually 2004 on the Serenade. I had the best chocolate flourless cake on that cruise…is that still around?

The flourless chocolate cake was the best. It has been off the menu quite a few years, probably at least 10 years. I am hoping one day they will bring it back. 

On 12/8/2022 at 6:25 AM, sanders said:

RCL had a dessert sampler dish until about 5 years ago of 3 small pieces of cake, one of them was a flowerless chocolate cake that was very delicious. I assume the one you are refering to. At your next cruise you can ask at the MDR if they could prepare this cake for you at some point during the cruise.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:25 PM, sanders said:

...and no more pillow chocolate during the evening turndown service. 😢

On 12/8/2022 at 12:25 AM, sanders said:

yes.  You may have to ask your server to arrange to have it for you during the sailing as it is not always on the regular menu.

Edited by stevea36

Ask them to prepare it for me? Charged or free?? I'm intrigued now lol. I've asked for the recipe and have been given it but for hundreds of people lol but never for a particular dish.  Will have to look for the chocolate fountain... my niece would find that fun. Thanks.

Again, those little things... As I remember on my unique RCI experience, Allure in Europe a few years ago, they only offered a special buffet experience on Rome day to welcome a big gay partly charter that was there at the time. It was very shellfish focused and they had a huge dessert section with a chocolate fountain and the fruits to dip it into, plus a huge welcome aboard cake of some sort... Maybe, these days they'll only to offer such things on special occasions...