MDR Lunch Koningsdam

san diego spartan

Board the beautiful Koningsdam today and lunch in the MDR was available! Delicious.   Cobb salad with grilled salmon, a starter of spicy Roasted cauliflower and a yummy chocolate tart.  Excellent with a glass of white wine.  Great start to the cruise! Relaxed and not hectic.   Did walk through the craziness of the Lido buffet which confirmed my choice. 

Also as an aside easy and quick check in and boarding at San Diego port! Arrived at 11:30 am and was on board at 11:50am and in the cabin before noon.

Beautiful day and hopefully start to fantastic cruise!

• Like 9

We’re doing a B2B. Just finished the first one. Still on the ship. You’ll see what I mean as the cruise progresses. As for today( boarding day) it closes at 3:00pm. That will change as of tomorrow to 2:00pm. Breakfast closes at 10:00am as of tomorrow. Remember though, there will be time changes that aren’t in our favor going down to Mexico , and the buffet still closes at 10:0am. So if you wake up at 8:00am California time in Peurto Vallarta, you’re out of luck for breakfast, as it’s now 10:00am In Peurto Vallarta. Other cruise lines close at 11:00am for breakfast. Also other cruise lines close the lunch buffet at 3:00 or 3:30pm not 2:00pm as is the case on the Koningsdam. So, if you come back to the ship early afternoon, you’ll be out of luck. Dinner will be closing at 8:00pm when other cruise lines close at 10:30 or 11:00pm. 

Edited by pamps2801
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pamps2801 said:

We’re doing a B2B. Just finished the first one. Still on the ship. You’ll see what I mean as the cruise progresses. As for today( boarding day) it closes at 3:00pm. That will change as of tomorrow to 2:00pm. Breakfast closes at 10:00am as of tomorrow. Remember though, there will be time changes that aren’t in our favor going down to Mexico , and the buffet still closes at 10:0am. So if you wake up at 8:00am California time in Peurto Vallarta, you’re out of luck for breakfast, as it’s now 10:00am In Peurto Vallarta. Other cruise lines close at 11:00am for breakfast. Also other cruise lines close the lunch buffet at 3:00 or 3:30pm not 2:00pm as is the case on the Koningsdam. So, if you come back to the ship early afternoon, you’ll be out of luck. Dinner will be closing at 8:00pm when other cruise lines close at 10:30 or 11:00pm. 

With that reasoning it would have to be open 24/7 for people from overseas.  Unfortunately hal does shut things down early but you can get room service which I imagine is not available for free on other lines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pamps2801 said:

The Lido closes at 2 pm? What time does it open again for dinner?

L.

1 minute ago, leerathje said:

The Lido closes at 2 pm? What time does it open again for dinner?

L.

Usually 5:00 PM, or shortly after. 5:15-5:30 would be the absolute latest that dinner starts in the Lido. 
Each meal shuts down so the area can be cleared of food, cleaned, and food prepared for the next meal. 
At 2:00 PM the workers in the Lido go off duty and get a little time off. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Usually 5:00 PM, or shortly after. 5:15-5:30 would be the absolute latest that dinner starts in the Lido. 
Each meal shuts down so the area can be cleared of food, cleaned, and food prepared for the next meal. 
At 2:00 PM the workers in the Lido go off duty and get a little time off. 

lol...funny I never noticed.  I guess too busy getting my lunch from other places like Dive In, Dutch Cafe or NY Pizza.

L.

On Rotterdam last month the full Lido buffet closed at 2:30 but part of it remained open for the salad bar, sandwich area and some desserts.  As a night owl, I agree about the "early" 10am closure for breakfast.  11am would be better!  Room service breakfast foods were available until 11am.

Dive In was open until 6pm.

~Nancy

OP: glad your embarkation lunch was perfect! I was wondering if it was served course-by-course.  In the two months+ we were on this ship this year, the MDR was serving both "small plates" and the "large plates" at once. This was a negative experience if you had a hot "large" and it would sit there going cold while you ate the "small"!

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

According to the program lido lunch until 2pm today and select stations from 2pm to 4pm.  Closed  4pm until 5:30 pm and reopens for dinner until 8pm.  Late night snacks 10:30-11:30pm

Thank you.  I thought there was still limited stations open but I certainly didn’t want to post that without being positive. 

26 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

OP: glad your embarkation lunch was perfect! I was wondering if it was served course-by-course.  In the two months+ we were on this ship this year, the MDR was serving both "small plates" and the "large plates" at once. This was a negative experience if you had a hot "large" and it would sit there going cold while you ate the "small"!

Ok, that happened once to me as well but people that were around me were not serve that way.  They were served course by course and it was quite full around me.  The next time I went it was served course by course. I didn’t request it to come that way.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

It was served course by course.   Small plates 1st and then the main

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you.  I thought there was still limited stations open but I certainly didn’t want to post that without being positive. 

If I remember I'll  stop by and see what stations are open from 2 to 4pm and report back.  I'm probably going to check out the afternoon tea which is at 3pm...another food option.  I truly don't think I'll go hungry...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

If I remember I'll  stop by and see what stations are open from 2 to 4pm and report back.  I'm probably going to check out the afternoon tea which is at 3pm...another food option.  I truly don't think I'll go hungry...

I agree.  That said it’s pretty rare for me to snack between meals or eat super late.  I just can’t get away with it.

17 hours ago, san diego spartan said:

Board the beautiful Koningsdam today and lunch in the MDR was available! Delicious.   Cobb salad with grilled salmon, a starter of spicy Roasted cauliflower and a yummy chocolate tart.  Excellent with a glass of white wine.  Great start to the cruise! Relaxed and not hectic.   Did walk through the craziness of the Lido buffet which confirmed my choice. 

Also as an aside easy and quick check in and boarding at San Diego port! Arrived at 11:30 am and was on board at 11:50am and in the cabin before noon.

Beautiful day and hopefully start to fantastic cruise!

We will be boarding on Saturday and have an assigned check in time of 12:10  group C.

Do you know when the MDR closes for embarkation lunch? 

Also do you know if 5 star Mariners can go to the head of the check in line?

And lastly we had an email saying to fill in Verifly. Was anyone checking this?

I realize that the ship is likely not full this week whereas it is next week. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, san diego spartan said:

According to the program lido lunch until 2pm today and select stations from 2pm to 4pm.  Closed  4pm until 5:30 pm and reopens for dinner until 8pm.  Late night snacks 10:30-11:30pm

This was our experience a few weeks ago on the Rotterdam.   One side of the buffet closed, but much of the other side was open.   We found many choices we enjoyed when eating at 2:30.   On the other hand, the Late Night Snacks were very meager, but  New York Pizza was great

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottishMaid said:

We will be boarding on Saturday and have an assigned check in time of 12:10  group C.

Do you know when the MDR closes for embarkation lunch? 

Also do you know if 5 star Mariners can go to the head of the check in line?

And lastly we had an email saying to fill in Verifly. Was anyone checking this?

I realize that the ship is likely not full this week whereas it is next week. 

Thanks!

Go when you want!  This happened to a friend in FtL, they didn't even look at the Check-in time. We haven't seen anyone but disabled (and probably Pres Club) allowed to skip the actual line.

Lunch is usually noon to 1 pm. Show up by maybe 10 to 1 and you will be fine.

Verifly is not used now, apparently.

Have a super cruise!!!

Edited by SilvertoGold