Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

1 hour ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Ok I found the jargon 

The Butcher’s Block by Dario, located on deck 9 of the new Sun Princess, comes to life as a specialty impromptu experience featuring a large shared, family-style table serving up a carnivore’s paradise. This specialty dining experience promises to grill up perfectly prepared beef and steak, including Cecchini’s signature cuts.

In addition, the cruise line’s signature steakhouse, Crown Grill, will feature a refined upscale menu designed by Cecchini. The menu proudly features the highly coveted "Bistecca Alla Fiorentina," a distinctive Florentine Steak prepared with the bone, sourced directly from the prestigious Antica Macelleria Cecchini butcher shop in Panzano.

Here it is.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dog said:

Here it is.

👍  yep ! that's the Chianina breed.

image.png.457308050e3ecfd43442f310f33a14b6.png

..... now back to our regular scheduled posting (s)

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jennybenny said:

I'm trying to be patient with these delays since it's a new ship, but really wish we could start booking dinner... no matter how far away the cruise is 🙂

Good luck @dog, I hope you get a good response with your request for help. 

Thanks!  It is all fixed now. Spent 2 days dealing with website and app versions and customerrelations@princesscruises.com, as well as, give feedback on  website- got the message and fixed it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nini said:

Can this possibly be interpreted to mean that attire will be screened when walking up to the dining room entrance? Therefore, those wearing shorts and flip-flops will be directed accordingly. And those who cringe at the sight may dine as they wish without the visual assault.

I am not too picky regarding dining room dress but I do have my limits and expectations. This looks like it is a way that Princess is addressing the styles and dressing preferences of as many passengers as possible. 

When this was discussed last year post-announcement, the general consensus was it was referring to the formality of the meals and dishes and not the guests' attire.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

When this was discussed last year post-announcement, the general consensus was it was referring to the formality of the meals and dishes and not the guests' attire.

Thanks, @Steelers36. I am sure I missed that. I am curious then about determining the "formality" of the food. So, I am guessing that more casual would be hamburgers, mac & cheese? Formal would be steaks, lobster, more of a gourmet type dish?

Regardless, I am looking forward to what the first reports will reveal.

13 minutes ago, nini said:

Thanks, @Steelers36. I am sure I missed that. I am curious then about determining the "formality" of the food. So, I am guessing that more casual would be hamburgers, mac & cheese? Formal would be steaks, lobster, more of a gourmet type dish?

Regardless, I am looking forward to what the first reports will reveal.

I am as interested as you.

• Like 2

We are on the second sailing and I made two SD bookings. I’m wondering if I picked the right nights because I want to use the MDR for formal night(s).

Does anyone know which nights are formal on this 10-night itinerary?

TIA!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, nini said:

Can this possibly be interpreted to mean that attire will be screened when walking up to the dining room entrance? Therefore, those wearing shorts and flip-flops will be directed accordingly. And those who cringe at the sight may dine as they wish without the visual assault.

I am not too picky regarding dining room dress but I do have my limits and expectations. This looks like it is a way that Princess is addressing the styles and dressing preferences of as many passengers as possible. 

I am sure this has to do with food and not dress.  I cannot imagine the lines, arguments, and confusion Princess would create if they started sorting people out by what they were wearing as to where they eat.  As we know dress style is even more subjective than food.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cdude said:

We are on the second sailing and I made two SD bookings. I’m wondering if I picked the right nights because I want to use the MDR for formal night(s).

Does anyone know which nights are formal on this 10-night itinerary?

TIA!

Formal nights tend to always be on at Sea days. Hopefully this can help. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

That would mean there would have to be multiple kitchens.

That doesn't make sense.

I think the "formality" of the meal might refer more to overall ambience. On our last cruise when signing up for a time we had to choose between eating quickly, slowly and some third thing. Maybe they've decided to have each level correspond to that. One level walk up, one level reservation for eating quickly and one level for leisurely dining. I have a feeling the guest's attire might sort itself out according to how much of an "event" they want dinner to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Chamima,  I can't see having three different full menus..  and everybody wanting something that was not on the menu for their 'level'...

I think this will have to do with 'decor'... with the way the waiters are dressed  (like, as seen in the past,  different dress for servers on different nights.. like formal or 'Italian'). So, more formal attire on upper level.  Also, I can see the timing of the service.. more time devoted to 'napkin on your lap, recommendation of menu items, each course served one at a time...

I personally would be happy to get a place in the highest level, if not in a hurry due to time spent in port, early show, etc....

I could see them 'suggesting' a nicer dress/attire for those on the upper level...  Perhaps dress shirts, and not collared polos, etc...   But, we all know that very little would be done to try to enforce the guidelines.

Only thing is, assuming the more 'formal' experience is the smallest, upper, level, then one would not have that expansive view of those huge windows!!!

The upper level, being smaller, and not the lowest level with a higher ceiling, might be quieter and feel more upscale/intimate.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

I seem to remember reading that the lower level would be used as a more formal and relaxed dining area, but I can’t find that again.  One of the other levels would be used for those who wanted to get in and out quickly, and the other dining level for somewhere between the two.  

Hopefully it will become clear soon. 

58 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I seem to remember reading that the lower level would be used as a more formal and relaxed dining area, but I can’t find that again.  One of the other levels would be used for those who wanted to get in and out quickly, and the other dining level for somewhere between the two.  

I remember hearing something similar to this on one of the released videos. A comment was made that lower to upper levels went from slower to faster service.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I believe what level you are eating at is when you want to eat. Went to the app last night to set up are dinner schedule. Level 6 you could not use, level 7 was a set time at 20 minute intravels, level 8 was only two seating times, at 6:15 and 8:30. I would believe level 6 will be anytime dining.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I agree with Chamima,  I can't see having three different full menus..  and everybody wanting something that was not on the menu for their 'level'...

I think this will have to do with 'decor'... with the way the waiters are dressed  (like, as seen in the past,  different dress for servers on different nights.. like formal or 'Italian'). So, more formal attire on upper level.  Also, I can see the timing of the service.. more time devoted to 'napkin on your lap, recommendation of menu items, each course served one at a time...

I personally would be happy to get a place in the highest level, if not in a hurry due to time spent in port, early show, etc....

I could see them 'suggesting' a nicer dress/attire for those on the upper level...  Perhaps dress shirts, and not collared polos, etc...   But, we all know that very little would be done to try to enforce the guidelines.

Only thing is, assuming the more 'formal' experience is the smallest, upper, level, then one would not have that expansive view of those huge windows!!!

The upper level, being smaller, and not the lowest level with a higher ceiling, might be quieter and feel more upscale/intimate.

I actually mentioned attire first in Post #1423. Then @Steelers36 suggested it would be about food.

I think it may just sort itself out? Or not, because there will always be those who dress in bermudas and flip-flops who want to relax and enjoy a longer more "formal" meal and gaze out to the ocean.

It will be good to finally see how all of this is working out when the Sun begins sailing!!!!

I do notice that the information says that it will different 'levels of FORMALITY'.

I think that would have to involve dress code.

Currently, Princess still wants pants and collared shirts for men at dinner, similar for women?

Perhaps there will be an option for those 'Bermuda shorts and flip-flops.

But, I don't think we will see that accepted on the 'Formal' level.

If Princess thinks that the lower level might be the Formal option, is that not the largest level?

The way cruising has been going, it seems that the bigger demand might for casual dining, even in the MDR.

I am excited to hear about all of this!!

Including the appearance of The Catch, and Butcher's Block on the App...

Now if they can just get it working properly!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chamima said:

That would mean there would have to be multiple kitchens.

That doesn't make sense.

I think the "formality" of the meal might refer more to overall ambience. On our last cruise when signing up for a time we had to choose between eating quickly, slowly and some third thing. Maybe they've decided to have each level correspond to that. One level walk up, one level reservation for eating quickly and one level for leisurely dining. I have a feeling the guest's attire might sort itself out according to how much of an "event" they want dinner to be.

I do not see why multiple kitchens would be required to produce a chicken fingers and fries dish versus a filet mignon dish.

Celebrity is doing separate dining rooms, where ALL have the same nightly MDR menu, but also each dining room has additional offerings based on the theme of that dining room.   I saw where one person liked a soup from one dining room, and requested it when dining at a different dining room on a later night.  (they brought him the soup, no problem)

Somehow, I do not see Princess being as industrious and broad with the menus...

But, we shall see!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duck65 said:

I believe what level you are eating at is when you want to eat. Went to the app last night to set up are dinner schedule. Level 6 you could not use, level 7 was a set time at 20 minute intervals, level 8 was only two seating times, at 6:15 and 8:30. I would believe level 6 will be anytime dining.

If this is true, then PCL has to be bringing back organized and formalized (not clothing) TD experience.

21 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I do not see why multiple kitchens would be required to produce a chicken fingers and fries dish versus a filet mignon dish.

This all said, we are all speculating to some degree here and I do like the idea that the levels may be used to sort out TD, from staggered reservations, to AT walk-ups.  Give all the options to the guests and organize by location.  IMO, speed of service can always be a request thing and no one at PCL seems to be paying attention to the option in the App.  I would say the only issue a guest would have is to not expect any variation in service if sharing a table in a TD situation.  Not easy to get outside the lane the table is in.  One way to speed service is to order less things or less courses.  But so much easier to control pace with a private table.

2 hours ago, duck65 said:

I believe what level you are eating at is when you want to eat. Went to the app last night to set up are dinner schedule. Level 6 you could not use, level 7 was a set time at 20 minute intravels, level 8 was only two seating times, at 6:15 and 8:30. I would believe level 6 will be anytime dining.

Yes that is what I understood too. I could only book deck 6 and deck 7. Deck 6 fixed times at 5 and 7.30. 

From what I remember hearing from a video was that the different levels were based on how quickly you wanted to be in and out of the dining room. Closer to the kitchen you would be in and out quickest. However, who knows if that information was correct. 

Princess will probably be fine-tuning all of this thru the first weeks and months.

Those fixed 'traditional' dining services, early and late, would seem to be the more formal dining services.

It would be hard to provide the full 'formal' full course experience with people coming and going throughout.

Then the next level might be anytime, but reservations are set up.

And then the next level might be walk-in.

I am kinda glad that I will not be making that first inaugural....

SO mich is new and not ironed out.  

I am sure it will be fabulous!!!  But not without some waits, and glitches.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, duck65 said:

Yayyyy, 8:30 dining at last! Southern Europeans, assemble!

5354d9697f8fe7bd1c5921f5.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2