Jeans now allowed in all dining venues

florisdekort

41 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

@Khareef the use of cutlery is very definitely a cultural thing. In the UK most tend to hold fork in left hand, knife in right and cut and eat food as they go along, resting cutlery on plate between mouthfuls 😁 I was intrigued to see others cut all their food up first and then proceed to eat with fork in right hand but realise now after having read various boards - that is correct etiquette where they live.

Raised by a British mother in America we were always told at school that we “ate funny”. Think of my joy when I had my first meal in GB where everyone “ate funny”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

DW & I will be taking our first Seaborn cruise in 2 1/2 weeks.

Being from a rural area in Washington state we presume this means we have to wear shoes.

And you'll have to wash

• Haha 2

I believe you're onto something, Merrywench.

During their formative years, most schoolchildren in the UK wear uniforms.  Per Ms. Google, 98% of secondary and 79% of primary schools require uniforms of some sort, ranging from a blazer + tie combo, to a "more relaxed" polo shirt-based outfit.  Without going into the sartorial details, I'll just state that this is not the case in the U.S.  (!)

So, for folks who were raised with expectations and ramifications around a uniformity of clothing, is it so surprising to find a trace of intolerance around the topic of what to wear in a dining room?

Up until last year we lived on the island of Kauai.  Hawaiian shirts are de rigueur at most if not all "dressy" functions.  Beyond fashion, they are acceptable at all business and social functions, accessorized with leis to indicate the stature of the wearer.

Today, I am grateful to be alive and able to travel and I'm still looking forward to our first SB cruise.

I hope I'll see saris in the Restaurant and jeans at the buffet and sequin-bedecked cruisers strolling the deck.  And I hope to leave behind on the dock all the snark and the  side-eye regarding what everyone has decided to wear.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, jjs217 said:

That's funny - we've met people from Dallas who thought it was okay to wear a cowboy hat in the dining room.

Uncouth people come from everywhere.  It is never ok to wear a cowboy hat indoors...  I live in Dallas and have never seen a cowboy hat worn indoors here. In fact, in everyday life, very few cowboy hats seen in the city at all.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Techno123 said:

@Khareef the use of cutlery is very definitely a cultural thing. In the UK most tend to hold fork in left hand, knife in right and cut and eat food as they go along, resting cutlery on plate between mouthfuls 😁 I was intrigued to see others cut all their food up first and then proceed to eat with fork in right hand but realise now after having read various boards - that is correct etiquette where they live.

I don't think it is proper etiquette in the US to cut up all food at once.  I wonder where that is the custom.  

1 hour ago, Ithikan said:

Up until last year we lived on the island of Kauai.  Hawaiian shirts are de rigueur at most if not all "dressy" functions.  Beyond fashion, they are acceptable at all business and social functions, accessorized with leis to indicate the stature of the wearer.

Today, I am grateful to be alive and able to travel and I'm still looking forward to our first SB cruise.

I hope I'll see saris in the Restaurant and jeans at the buffet and sequin-bedecked cruisers strolling the deck.  And I hope to leave behind on the dock all the snark and the  side-eye regarding what everyone has decided to wear.

Mr. SLSD had a several years long legal case in Hawaii.  All the local lawyers were wearing Hawaiian shirts at all times except when they were in court.  He finally purchased a selection Hawaiian shirts so that he would not stick out in his suit like a sore thumb.  He would also wear them home on the plane and scare me to death when he woke me up upon getting to our house at about 6am in the morning!  I think they are great in their setting, but not necessarily appropriate everywhere.  Mr. SLSD does not bring his cowboy boots on cruises--or his western shirts.  Perhaps we are all being too judgmental. 

• Like 1

Yes, we are.  I fear particularly us Brits.  It is quite right to say that we have been used to rather more formal clothing in the past, though that has changed in recent years.  Regarding cutlery use, it does seem strange to us to see the US style, just as it is for you to see ours.  I have been told that the food cut up first and then eaten with just the one fork in hand was because  US pioneers needed to keep one hand free for their gun.  I have a feeling that this is probably just a snobby Brit. idea.  What I can't get used to is putting everything you are going to eat on one plate in a buffet, so that you mix up baked beans and fruit and croissants - I think maybe this is a bit infra dig in the 'posher' US circles as well, and not often seen on luxury lines.

9 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Yes, we are.  I fear particularly us Brits.  It is quite right to say that we have been used to rather more formal clothing in the past, though that has changed in recent years.  Regarding cutlery use, it does seem strange to us to see the US style, just as it is for you to see ours.  I have been told that the food cut up first and then eaten with just the one fork in hand was because  US pioneers needed to keep one hand free for their gun.  I have a feeling that this is probably just a snobby Brit. idea.  What I can't get used to is putting everything you are going to eat on one plate in a buffet, so that you mix up baked beans and fruit and croissants - I think maybe this is a bit infra dig in the 'posher' US circles as well, and not often seen on luxury lines.

I have seen many a site at a buffet on a luxury ship.

51 minutes ago, lincslady said:

What I can't get used to is putting everything you are going to eat on one plate in a buffet, so that you mix up baked beans and fruit and croissants

They just don't have big enough plates to load up everything and keep them separate! 🤣

4 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Well the lady I am talking about ordered an entrecot which was quite thick...once the plate arrived she put her fork right in the middle, raised the entrecot almost to her mouth and started looking at it for quite some time with a perplexed look...my guess she wanted to eat it that way but then she figured out it wasn't the proper way...problem being she put the fork so deep inside it got stuck...  she started to shake the fork like a lace hoping the fork would get somehow unstuck, she then passed the whole thing to her husband who also tried it the same way with no luck. Eventually she left it on the table with the fork stuck inside and ordered a difference dish claiming the thing was too overcooked or something. It was so funny and cute at the same time...

By the way I am the only one that switches the fork from left to right after I cut a piece? Most people I know do it actually...continental Europe. I am sure I am breaking a zillion formal rules 🙂

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

Uncouth people come from everywhere.  It is never ok to wear a cowboy hat indoors...  I live in Dallas and have never seen a cowboy hat worn indoors here. In fact, in everyday life, very few cowboy hats seen in the city at all.  

Since you are from Dallas, I was making a joke in response to your statement about rural Americans not knowing what smart casual means.  I guess I should have used smiley faces (with cowboy hats.)

1 minute ago, jjs217 said:

Since you are from Dallas, I was making a joke in response to your statement about rural Americans not knowing what smart casual means.  I guess I should have used smiley faces (with cowboy hats.)

I figured you were making a joke, but responded the way I did anyway.  Dallas is basically a dressed up city, at least in areas we frequent.  This is not meant to be a snobby comment.  We do live half the time in a rural area of the state (only 85 miles from the city) --and it is a different world in terms of dress--which is my point.  The two twains do not meet.  

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 11:32 AM, SLSD said:

All hat no cattle...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

More like Crystal Palace Texas

People love to make fun of Texas--all for different reasons which cannot even be discussed here.  I'm sure all of you recognize that there is no generic Texan.  Texans are even split politically at about 52%/48%.  No more comment on that topic.  

21 minutes ago, SLSD said:

People love to make fun of Texas--all for different reasons which cannot even be discussed here.  I'm sure all of you recognize that there is no generic Texan.  Texans are even split politically at about 52%/48%.  No more comment on that topic.  

+ 1000!

nancy

22 minutes ago, SLSD said:

How about no more comments on other people’s attire?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I loved living in Texas.  The only place I've been to with true state pride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusko said:

How about no more comments on other people’s attire?

I'm ready for that.  My comments about attire were in response to others comments.  I said it is a cultural issue--and not likely to change.  I'm fine with it.  

On 7/3/2023 at 12:42 PM, SLSD said:

Mr. SLSD had a several years long legal case in Hawaii.  All the local lawyers were wearing Hawaiian shirts at all times except when they were in court.  He finally purchased a selection Hawaiian shirts so that he would not stick out in his suit like a sore thumb.  He would also wear them home on the plane and scare me to death when he woke me up upon getting to our house at about 6am in the morning!  I think they are great in their setting, but not necessarily appropriate everywhere.  Mr. SLSD does not bring his cowboy boots on cruises--or his western shirts.  Perhaps we are all being too judgmental. 

Did he ever work in Bermuda? 😁

On 7/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

All hat no cattle...

Did not mean any offense SLSD, This is a term I have heard applied in multiple places but first from a coworker many years ago who grew up on hundreds of acres of land, means a dude wears a big hat (or more often acts like a big shot in a place where the many people actually do own a lot of land, but addition to the land there needs to be something using that land, e.g. not just inherited and you act like a big shot)  was not implying that applied to you rather the wearing of a cowboy hat in a restaurant.  I used to spend a lot of time in Jackson Hole, there is a lot of $$$$$ there and a lot of big hat wearing pretenders.